Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:43 AM

355 posts, read 958,110 times

Advertisements

I'm really surprised at the volume of postings on this site, especially compared to other places around the nation. I get the sense that the entire country is packing up and moving to Raleigh. North Carolina as a whole has the highest level of activity and postings on city-data.

This is making me think twice about the area. I envision truckloads of people storming the area, all clutching copies of Money's Best Places guides. Is it getting out of hand? Is the place turning into what others are fleeing? I can't believe some of the postings I see on here of people packing up and moving without jobs. Some seem to be infatuated with it even though they've never visited. They're not giving away free money there are they?

It just seems like something has got to give eventually. Sooner or later employment will catch up with the supply. Is Raleigh just the faddish place for people to go now, like Seattle a decade ago?

For me a move to Raleigh made sense given the mix of what my wife and are looking for, which includes moving closer to family - a criterion that limits us to a smaller geographic area that happens to encompass Raleigh. Otherwise, we would be inclined to look at a lot of other places, and we're wondering if Raleigh is riding the crest of the wave right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 09:51 AM

40 posts, read 122,514 times
Living here, it DOES seem like a huge caravan piling in here daily, and new subdivisions sprout like ugly poorly-constructed weeds. The growth is totally unfettered, and without any sensible planning. Now we are running out of water because of it. I personally am sometimes regretting my decision to come here-I was moving back, but the changes are mostly sad, and although it's beautiful here, the trees fall every day and it becomes just a little less beautiful.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 AM

24 posts, read 79,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightdale View Post
Living here, it DOES seem like a huge caravan piling in here daily, and new subdivisions sprout like ugly poorly-constructed weeds. The growth is totally unfettered, and without any sensible planning. Now we are running out of water because of it. I personally am sometimes regretting my decision to come here-I was moving back, but the changes are mostly sad, and although it's beautiful here, the trees fall every day and it becomes just a little less beautiful.
We're moving to the area this summer and it's a concern for us. it's one of the reasons we want to live in an established area that's already been built out. At least then, you have an idea what your getting. If you choose "newer" areas, it may grow into a place you wouldn't like.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,819 times
I've lived here my entire life. Sadly, I'm in the minority.

Growth has its advantages- more to do, more $ for local businesses (when not run out by big box stores), more tax revenue.

But growth has its ugly side too- which is what the entire area is suffering from right now. We have more students than schools, more cars than roads, and more people than resources.

You can't blame the drought on people moving here alone, although it definitely has an impact, and the insane amount of construction and new housing has affected it as well.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 AM

40 posts, read 122,514 times
Definitely moving to an established area helps in your immediate surroundings. We initially picked Knightdale because it was 'out-of-town' but anyone who knows the past 3 years in Knightdale is chuckling right now, because we got covered up in traffic, strip-malls, and horrible planning pretty much overnight. (Thanks again for that great planning, town council!)

The local government here was and still is unprepared to deal with any kind of useful growth planning. It's pretty understandable considering the explosiveness and speed of it, and the nature of local governments.

There is still plenty to love here, but it isn't the same list as it was when the area made the best-places list, imo.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:22 AM

131 posts, read 726,123 times
I don't see why it's such a bad thing that people want to move to Raleigh and the Triangle. Anytime you live in a "hot" area, it only serves to increase the value of your property. I certainly won't complain about that. And Raleigh must not be turning into such a bad place if everyone is still jumping on the bandwagon to move here. Of course, I can always identify with those who would rather keep a slower pace and are tired of all the new housing developments eating up the trees and land. Sometimes it's depressing to see it. But I rest easy knowing that Raleigh's continued popularity will pay off one day when I sell my house. Then I can move to the country if I choose. If you regret moving here, just move again. I can't imagine that the growth is going to stop anytime soon since there are so many people that still want to move from the Northeast. And if Raleigh is going to be the next Seattle - great! That means my home will be worth a lot more than I paid for it in another 5 years!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 AM

69 posts, read 255,660 times
I posted something similiar to this last week. I believe it's growing way too fast. A majority of the people here are from large cities where the cost of living is greater. But for us who are not, this place isn't all it's cracked up to be. Every strip mall has the same stores and they all look alike, wherever there's a Walgreen's there's a CVS across the street, take pictures of the tree's because sooner or later the land will be sold and developed. I think for some this is a great place to live, for others not so great.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:59 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
I'm really surprised at the volume of postings on this site, especially compared to other places around the nation. I get the sense that the entire country is packing up and moving to Raleigh. North Carolina as a whole has the highest level of activity and postings on city-data.

This is making me think twice about the area. I envision truckloads of people storming the area, all clutching copies of Money's Best Places guides. Is it getting out of hand? Is the place turning into what others are fleeing? I can't believe some of the postings I see on here of people packing up and moving without jobs. Some seem to be infatuated with it even though they've never visited. They're not giving away free money there are they?

It just seems like something has got to give eventually. Sooner or later employment will catch up with the supply. Is Raleigh just the faddish place for people to go now, like Seattle a decade ago?

For me a move to Raleigh made sense given the mix of what my wife and are looking for, which includes moving closer to family - a criterion that limits us to a smaller geographic area that happens to encompass Raleigh. Otherwise, we would be inclined to look at a lot of other places, and we're wondering if Raleigh is riding the crest of the wave right now.
Clever lots of questions in your note so let me try to address them one by one.

Is growth getting out of hand? Maybe. Depends who side of the growth curve you are on. If your a town or developer or builder or any number of industries that support growth the answer is a resounding NO. If you came looking for small town America with low taxes and great weather the answer is 'YES'. So you can decide which side you would be on.

Is the place turning into what other people are fleeing. IMO YES. If they are fleeing to be with their Children and Grandchildren. If they are fleeing for a better life with a better job and better weather then the answer is yes. If they are fleeing to reduce their Tax burden at least for several years than YES they are fleeing.

Are they giving away money here? Well we did just get a State Lottery in the last year or two to help save our schools. So to those scratch, sniff, and pay ticket holders YES they are giving money away, 'in fine print', less the ticket cost and taxes.

Is Raleigh the Faddish place to go now. In some areas especially on golf courses it is sometimes plaiddish. Driving on Rt 40 East at the PM rush hour it is sometimes Maddish. But for my money the closeness of the Beach and mountains to the Raleigh area make me the happy-ish.

Is Raleigh riding the crest of the wave? I think not, maybe wishful thinking on my part and maybe I'm not really being nautical in my thinking. If we are, then the Sunami was set many years ago because we are all riding that crest for as long as it will carry all of us.

I hope you chose Raleigh or at least take a long or short look at what it has to offer. You maybe pleasantly surprised! Good luck to you no matter where you pick!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboogey73 View Post
We're moving to the area this summer and it's a concern for us. it's one of the reasons we want to live in an established area that's already been built out. At least then, you have an idea what your getting. If you choose "newer" areas, it may grow into a place you wouldn't like.
Don't be too sure of that line of thought. There is a hot debate raging in established, charming, older neighborhoods due to teardowns and infill. Many builders, developers and wealthy newcomers are flocking to the desirable established neighborhoods and tearing down the smaller, older homes in favor of towering faux-chateaus, completely throwing off the balance of these neighborhoods (I saw that you are coming from Miami: see Pinecrest in Miami, and some areas of Coconut Grove). Many people, like you, chose to live in these neighborhoods for the exact reasons you mention, but now are being faced with a reality they never really considered.

I moved here from Miami a year and a half ago. I am a second-generation Miami native having lived there my entire life, and thus know what unbridled growth that pads the pockets of special interests can do to a metro area. In the short time I've been here in Raleigh, it seems to me that, while the local governments are at least aware of potential problems (unlike much of S FL which is blinded by the $$), not too many are really coming up with realistic plans to accommodate a substantially larger population. Roads and water supply are a big factor in growth, two areas where this area continues to fall behind as the population surges. Not to mention, many people commute all over the Triangle from the bedroom communities. Now while things are still ok, it's not bad, but those 30-40 mile commutes will be epic if things don't evolve to handle all the newcomers who are also making those commutes. I give this area five years before the traffic starts to really get bad (people here already think its bad, but I know it's not...yet).

That said, unless some real action is taken, I don't know if I will end up setting down the roots here that I originally wanted to. I want to live and eventually raise a family in a place that understands that there must be a balance between growth and infrastructure. Right now, I am questioning Raleigh in this regard. It is unfortunate, because I really like it here. However, I think it is on a slippery slope right now.

In short, yes, I think in some ways that the Triangle will come to resemble the places that others (like myself) have left, especially in terms of transportation.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:04 AM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
I moved here 11 yrs. ago, and think I saw more out-of-state license plates back then than I do now.

The main growth of new subdivisions is in the outlying areas east of Raleigh, and surrounding towns like Wake Forest, Youngsville, Knightdale, Holly Springs, Apex and Fuquay. If you move to one of these areas, chances are you'll see homes and strip malls popping up all over.

It took me two years of renting to get a feel for what was happening around here. Thankfully, I chose an established area with the possibility of far fewer new subdivisions being built since there is not much land available. If something new springs up, it's a small very upscale development. Because of that, I feel very sheltered from the wild growth that everyone sees in newer areas.

I had looked at some new subdivisions and was startled to see there were absolutely no trees. Some of these are built upon prior farm feilds. It was springtime, and it was eerily quiet when I walked through those areas. I got back home and thought about the quietness, realizing the sound that overcame me when I came back home and got out of the car was the sound of songbirds that filled the air. Trees. Yeah, they need trees. It's a whole different world out there in the new areas where builders have taken out trees or where they weren't there in the first place.

The established areas of this town are extraordinarily beautiful. I've lived all over the country from coast to coast, and so have somewhat of a valid opinion on that.

Why everyone needs "new construction" is beyond me. In fact, after seeing the quality of new construction, it convinced me to stay far far away. Don't discount the established areas in your move and you may find yourself sheltered from all the less-than-appealing aspects of living here. There are always backroads as alternatives to keep out of traffic, too.

The downtown area of Raleigh has improved by leaps and bounds imo compared to a decade ago. It's becoming much more cosmopolitian and desireable. Moving here is still a wonderful option. As to why the NC board here is so busy, I don't understand; but I don't see truckloads of people arriving daily.

Best to all,
toodie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary