Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:29 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times

Advertisements

So, I've been to a handful of stores, and wanted to see what you all recommend. I've been to Finks, Raleigh Diamond, Diamonds Direct, Johnson's...And while some were better than others, none were overwhelming.

I'm 99% that the setting has been sorted. I found a good deal and put the deposit down, and while they can get diamonds in, they don't keep much in stock and are mostly consignment/used anyway. If the head has to be re cut for the stone I want, I got a guy that can do that too.

So, I'm looking for CD's collective wisdom on the best place to buy a loose stone. New or used. I'm really looking hard at the secondhand market, it isn't like they wear and tear. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 02:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
So, I've been to a handful of stores, and wanted to see what you all recommend. I've been to Finks, Raleigh Diamond, Diamonds Direct, Johnson's...And while some were better than others, none were overwhelming.

I'm 99% that the setting has been sorted. I found a good deal and put the deposit down, and while they can get diamonds in, they don't keep much in stock and are mostly consignment/used anyway. If the head has to be re cut for the stone I want, I got a guy that can do that too.

So, I'm looking for CD's collective wisdom on the best place to buy a loose stone. New or used. I'm really looking hard at the secondhand market, it isn't like they wear and tear. Thanks in advance!
Have you tried Stonehaven Jewelers downtown in Cary? He makes custom stuff and might be able to find an estate diamond for you, depending on what size you want.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:35 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Have you tried Stonehaven Jewelers downtown in Cary? He makes custom stuff and might be able to find an estate diamond for you, depending on what size you want.
I haven't. I will add them to the list.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:33 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
A story: I get my diamond reappraised every 3 years by a certified gemologist in Scottsdale, AZ. Been using her for years. She does not sell diamonds or jewelry. All she does is appraise jewelry and stones.

Some years ago, a co-worker asked me where he should buy the engagement ring for his new fiance. Now, Scottsdale has some pretty fine jewelry stores, as you can imagine. I called my appraiser and asked her.

Her answer? "If it were my engagement ring or my money, and I was buying less than 2 carats, COSTCO. Can't beat their prices or quality. Period." Over 2 carats was another matter.

I know that you have the setting already, but I can't help but wonder if you shouldn't still look, then sell off the setting for the value of the gold.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:56 PM

253 posts, read 236,386 times
Recently bought a diamond for my engagement ring. I wanted an old european cut, which was a bit of an unusual request, so my advice may or may not apply to you if you just want your standard round brilliant (I also needed a very specific size because I had my setting picked out.) Not Diamonds Direct--they were considerably more expensive than everyone else. Baileys was able to get some that were reasonably priced. Ultimately I ended up getting mine from an appraiser who worked with a diamond dealer. I used Lois Bouchard in Cary (who, incidentally, recommended Stonehaven for setting it). My usual appraiser is Rebekah Anderson in Raleigh, who could probably also get you one.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:16 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Her answer? "If it were my engagement ring or my money, and I was buying less than 2 carats, COSTCO. Can't beat their prices or quality. Period." Over 2 carats was another matter.

I didn't even know they sold jewelry - that's amazing.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:04 PM

Opened to allow OP to post an update.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:50 PM

369 posts, read 460,243 times
I have a vintage Cartier gold and diamond ring that I had to get cut off my finger during my first pregnancy. Would Stonehaven be a good place to get it fixed/resized? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg and I need someone trustworthy.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:19 PM

913 posts, read 886,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
I have a vintage Cartier gold and diamond ring that I had to get cut off my finger during my first pregnancy. Would Stonehaven be a good place to get it fixed/resized? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg and I need someone trustworthy.
I had my diamond ring sized by J M Edwards in Cary and I was very happy. They were the only ones I could find who would do platinum in house and for the best price. Everyone else I went to wanted to send it out and have it back in 2 weeks. They finished it in a few days.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
Stonehaven or JM Edwards would be good, reliable places to inquire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary