Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 05:32 PM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
It's sad. I moved to Wake Forest to live in the country, but it's rapidly becoming a city with suburbs full of high-priced homes that the locals can't afford. The people who move into these gated communities seal themselves off from the rest of us, creating little islands of elitism that will probably eventually outnumber traditional communities. Sometimes the big, expensive homes end up next to modest houses that have been there for decades, creating unbalanced communities and erasing their sense of history and tradition. Everyone talks about infill, while the gentrification continues to eat up even more land in what was formerly the countryside. Maybe we need another recession.
Yes we do, desperately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if McCrory is scaring transplants away, especially after all the recent shenanigans.
May he have great success in this endeavor.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
It's sad. I moved to Wake Forest to live in the country, but it's rapidly becoming a city with suburbs full of high-priced homes that the locals can't afford. The people who move into these gated communities seal themselves off from the rest of us, creating little islands of elitism that will probably eventually outnumber traditional communities. Sometimes the big, expensive homes end up next to modest houses that have been there for decades, creating unbalanced communities and erasing their sense of history and tradition. Everyone talks about infill, while the gentrification continues to eat up even more land in what was formerly the countryside. Maybe we need another recession.
I live off Louisburg Rd and go to WF often for errands. It is absolutely being destroyed. Sad to see it go from a smaller little town to a place they are clearing forests to literally put up a parking lot.

The only suggestion I can offer is make money off the influx and move far away.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:38 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
Yes we do, desperately.
Big picture wise, the Fed wants to goose inflation and growth via the housing market. This will continue for a while...

Old 04-12-2016, 07:50 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
The whole area is being cleared. I swear, there won't be a single patch of woods inside 540 in a few years. Everywhere I look, patches of woods are being cleared along with older homes. More apartment complexes, more parking lots, more suburbia. There's nothing we can do, but at least we still have Umstead. They can never tear that down!

Heading further north would be my advice if you wish to avoid this, and I mean northern Wake County up around Falls Lake and even closer to the town of Creedmoor. Raleigh north of 540 is well-developed, as it's pretty much all suburbia, but it feels more rustic because the entire area is covered under trees. There's really only one shopping center out there, too (intersection of highways 98 and 50). Eastern Chatham County is a bit like this, too. However, it's ironic that I'm persuading folks to move to and populate other areas of the Triangle to avoid areas that are already well-developed.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:28 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Yes we do, desperately.
I live near a $hithole of a small city where "recession" would be a huge understatement to describe the economy here. Trust me, y'all don't want it. I don't disagree with your sentiment about an area being overbuilt and people getting priced out, but to want a recession would be going a bit overboard, imo.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:29 PM

527 posts, read 686,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I live near a $hithole of a small city where "recession" would be a huge understatement to describe the economy here. Trust me, y'all don't want it. I don't disagree with your sentiment about an area being overbuilt and people getting priced out, but to want a recession would be going a bit overboard, imo.
Job searching during the recession really was one of the worst points of my life. I don't ever want to live, jobless, through another one of those.

Old 04-14-2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Since the communities are too stupid to understand the demands created on them by an influx of transplants, something draconian is required to stop the lemmings from pouring in here to "gentrify" our middle class out of their homes.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:42 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times
Quote:
Yes, having lived in Manhattan, Raleigh is much calmer.

Problem is the "gentrification" beginning to push out the lower middle class and the loss of our quality of life because of greed and overcrowding.
That's not gentrification, that's the middle class dying, and it's happening everywhere. People moving here aren't causing it.

Old 04-14-2016, 09:46 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
That's not gentrification, that's the middle class dying, and it's happening everywhere. People moving here aren't causing it.
There's definitely gentrification happening here - not sure how much of it is caused by people moving here (I sense most people moving here would consider established neighborhoods in Cary/North Raleigh) but it is happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary