Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to North Carolina: great schools, teacher, k-12.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:29 PM

9 posts, read 66,254 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been thinking about relocating to NC for a long time (we have family in the Cary area). We are looking into Cary or Apex. We love the area. The only thing holding us back is the redistricting that occurs. I know the schools are good but I am concerned for my one daughter who is quite shy and thrives on routine/stability. When kids are redistricted, are they sent to new schools with some of their old friends or are they just sent on their own to a new school? My daughter will be entering Kindergarten in the Fall and my other daughter will start Kindergarten two years later.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM

932 posts, read 1,272,777 times
In the majority of cases, your entire street or neighborhood will be moved to the new school.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:36 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Depending on your price range, there are some neighborhoods that would have a very minimal chance of reassignment (e.g., Highcroft). Some large neighborhoods do get split up, but I think you're street will stay together. I have heard of some neighborhoods where some children end up in three elementary schools over their years in elementary school because of reassignment, but that's fairly rare.

Last edited by sls76; 02-12-2008 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,254 times
Your child will not be the only one moved to a new school. Most of the time it is your whole neighborhood or half of you neighborhood.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:16 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
In the majority of cases, your entire street or neighborhood will be moved to the new school.
While I agree with this, keep in mind once they start school their friends are notjust neighborhood friends any more. They probably will have friends all over the school boundary area. Also a favorite teacher might be redistricted even if your child is not. Kids like seeing their Kindergarten Teacher even when they are in fifth grade.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:30 PM

502 posts, read 1,739,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
While I agree with this, keep in mind once they start school their friends are notjust neighborhood friends any more. They probably will have friends all over the school boundary area. Also a favorite teacher might be redistricted even if your child is not. Kids like seeing their Kindergarten Teacher even when they are in fifth grade.
If that is really important, you may want to consider a private school. My kids currently attend a K-12 school where everyone is together. So when my daughter was in Kindergarten, she saw her three older siblings throughout the day.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:39 PM

9 posts, read 66,254 times
Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

We would like to send our kids to public school so I'm not really looking into private school options.

Is there a chance that my kids could be sent to different elementary schools?

Thanks again for the information!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlia View Post
Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

We would like to send our kids to public school so I'm not really looking into private school options.

Is there a chance that my kids could be sent to different elementary schools?

Thanks again for the information!
No. I think the only way something like that happens is if they reassign and then they grandfather some kids in their final year. When they reassign, it's done by node, so everyone in your home (obviously in the same node) would be reassigned.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 8,085 times
I agree, it is a problem. My son's school switched to year round for this year. I thought it would be fine, but he has not adjusted well. I am switching to private school, if I can get him in, for next year.
I have three questions: If he does get in, do I notify WCPSS system that he will not continue to his next grade? How do I do this? Also, my son is LD in math and has an IEP. He has no problem getting a high level 3 or 4 on his EOGs in reading, but math is a problem. If he gets a 2 on his EOG in math (fifth grade), will he be retained? I hear you have to pass them for fifth grade. The private school only has space for 6th grade next year, so if he is retained, this could be a problem. Of course, the private school doesn't do EOGs, so maybe it isn't a problem as far as they are concerned??? Thanks.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:56 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,435,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunalsorises View Post
I agree, it is a problem. My son's school switched to year round for this year. I thought it would be fine, but he has not adjusted well. I am switching to private school, if I can get him in, for next year.
I have three questions: If he does get in, do I notify WCPSS system that he will not continue to his next grade? How do I do this? Also, my son is LD in math. He has no problem getting a high level 3 or 4 on his EOGs in reading, but math is a problem. If he gets a 2 on his EOG in math (fifth grade), will he be retained? I hear you have to pass them for fifth grade. The private school only has space for 6th grade next year, so if he is retained, this could be a problem. Of course, the private school doesn't do EOGs, so maybe it isn't a problem as far as they are concerned??? Thanks.

First, I wish you a lot of luck with your decision. Private schools do test, some use the Iowa test at the beginning the the year.

I hope I don't sound nosy, but does your son have a IEP?? Some but not all private schools aren't as familiar with the needs of LD children. They deal better with mainstream children..especially at the K-8 level. The private schools tend to move on an accelerated basis in regards to academics, and I fear your son may get left behind (unintentionally). They give tons of homework too. I've had friends with this same situation, they felt their needs were ultimately met better in public school. I'm not sure getting a 2 on his EOG's would mean immediate retention. A lot would depend on where he scored (high 2, medium, low 2). He would likely be given many opportunites for retesting, perhaps along with some one or one or small group review sessions. Hope this helps, my best to you.

PS - if you switch schools, I think all you need to do is go register at the new school and fill out the paperwork to request records sent to the new school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary