Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 10:08 PM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times

Advertisements

In Wake County, if your base school is a magnet school, does that mean your child can take advantage of all the magnet offerings of the school? Or is there a separate track for the magnet kids and even if your kid is at the school and is academically gifted s/he still needs to apply for the magnet program, within your base school?

Thanks in advance. I read the info on the WCPSS site but could not figure this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb View Post
In Wake County, if your base school is a magnet school, does that mean your child can take advantage of all the magnet offerings of the school? Or is there a separate track for the magnet kids and even if your kid is at the school and is academically gifted s/he still needs to apply for the magnet program, within your base school?

Thanks in advance. I read the info on the WCPSS site but could not figure this out.
All kids at a magnet have access to the school's offerings.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:26 AM
jgb jgb started this thread

480 posts, read 1,343,239 times
Thank you.

My question is answered but if anyone else has any information on being at a magnet school as a districted family I welcome them.

My understanding is that the magnet schools are selected because their regular population is disadvantaged and we would be part of the regular population but we are not disadvantaged -- just live in a "poorer" part of town I guess

Old 04-12-2016, 08:10 AM

360 posts, read 516,180 times
Just to follow up with a special case -- there are magnet schools that offer language immersion. In those schools (at least in ours, likely in all?) there is a different level of access to the immersion program, if that makes sense.

Magnet students are all automatically in the language immersion program.

Base students enter a lottery and may be accepted into the language immersion program if they get accepted. If not they will be in an English classroom.

The ratio of magnet to base kids is 1:1.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:13 AM

360 posts, read 516,180 times
In the middle schools isn't there something about getting an AIG spot vs a non AIG spot? Someone mentioned that on here once and I filed it away as something to investigate in another 3-4 years. By which time it will surely change, I'm sure.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherTransplant View Post
In the middle schools isn't there something about getting an AIG spot vs a non AIG spot? Someone mentioned that on here once and I filed it away as something to investigate in another 3-4 years. By which time it will surely change, I'm sure.
Should only have to do with the AIG offerings at that school. Which would not exempt a base school kid from getting access to classes that their teachers feel they are qualified to take based on scores nor any electives, so the experience in magnet should be similar for everyone, really.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:56 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
I've actually heard that one of the ways to "beat" the lottery for magnets is simply to live in the base area.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:59 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I've actually heard that one of the ways to "beat" the lottery for magnets is simply to live in the base area.
For sure. Though that does mean living in an area of town were folks will likely be poorer and darker than the majority of those looking for magnet spots and that may be a little too scary for many.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:45 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
When we moved here, we were in the base area for Washington GT Magnet elementary.

Our son had access to all programs and got a great education.

Our grandson was put into a special program at POE Magnet elementary at 3 years of age for speech assistance. He has done well there and hopes to continue in the school.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
For sure. Though that does mean living in an area of town were folks will likely be poorer and darker than the majority of those looking for magnet spots and that may be a little too scary for many.
Which isn't the case with some magnets, though it is the case with a good many. What they do sometimes is create a base for a school that pulls heavily from "poorer and darker" neighborhoods, as you put it, and then make it a magnet because the free/reduced lunch ratio is so high.

That makes it possible to get a magnet in an area that isn't exactly on the lower end of the socioeconomic spectrum.

Reedy Creek Middle School is a good example of this. It's not exactly right in the thick of the larger pockets of wealth in Cary, but it's darned close to them. Which makes it enticing as a magnet for residents who may not have preferred the school before the magnet designation.

Shorter bus ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary