Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:02 AM

51 posts, read 53,966 times

Advertisements

today I prepare my irrigation and found pipe line was broken, I believe this is caused by the fiber optics installation which happened last year. There is no sign or contact info on the fiber optics box in my front yard.

Do you know which company that I can contact for repair reimbursement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 09:06 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Tiger View Post
today I prepare my irrigation and found pipe line was broken, I believe this is caused by the fiber optics installation which happened last year. There is no sign or contact info on the fiber optics box in my front yard.

I'm guessing the repair would cost you under 100 bucks, probably not even worth your time to prove and file a claim.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:19 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,762,210 times
It's going to depend of it is google or att. The Google boxes typically say GFBR on them. Att should be marked somewhere also. The town may be able to help and they are tracking all this work.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:39 AM

5,330 posts, read 3,210,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I'm guessing the repair would cost you under 100 bucks, probably not even worth your time to prove and file a claim.
Still worthwhile to ask, in my opinion. If it gets to the point of them blowing the OP off, then yeah not worthwhile to pursue.

I worked for a service company and we did pay out when we damaged someone's property (as simple as replacing grass or a mailbox that was accidentally hit) in order to maintain a good reputation and provide good customer service.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:20 PM

650 posts, read 929,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Tiger View Post

Are you sure that you had placed the irrigation on your property? Typically there is a 10 to 15 foot easement on the side of the road for utilities.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:18 PM

357 posts, read 1,383,429 times
I was going to say the same thing as Supernc42. Many people end up installing their irrigation system on the right-of-way, which for those of us with roads owned by the NCDOT, is not actually our property. If anything damage happens to irrigation systems that are placed on the street right-of-way it's usually your responsibility as you decided to place the system on that area that had encumberances.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:33 PM

Right of way is one thing, easement is another.

And Google at least was fixing stuff they broke anyway.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:19 AM

323 posts, read 376,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Right of way is one thing, easement is another.

And Google at least was fixing stuff they broke anyway.
Right of way is an easement.

If it wasn't a charged line, they might not even be aware that they broke it. It's also going to be a tough claim to make when it's been so long since the damage occurred, so they may just deny the claim and you'll have to wade through bureaucracy to get any action.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:26 AM

The right of way is land that is part of the road and extends a certain distance from the centerline of the road. It is not owned by the homeowner. An easement is an agreement to allow someone else to have access to land that is owned by a homeowner. They are not the same thing.

In my yard the right of way stops about a foot inside the sidewalk, about 8 feet from the back of the curb. This is technically the municipality that owns this. They can do pretty much whatever they want here and if a utility has an agreement with them, they can to. The corner surveying marker for my lot sits at that spot.

Further, there is a 10 foot utility easement on my property that starts at the pin and goes onto my property. The city can't really do anything in that, but the utilities can, subject to their standard easement agreement.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:02 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Am I the only one who was thinking how lucky Flying Tiger is to have fiber already run to their house? They can dig up all my wife's plants (I don't have an irrigation system to offer for sacrifice) if it gets me Google Fiber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary