Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:25 PM

11 posts, read 27,003 times

Advertisements

I have heard all the criticisms of Brier Creek (ie, too close to airport, congested, small lots) Most of, actually all of the criticisms I've heard have come from people who have never actually lived there. Is there anyone out there who has left Brier Creek, is living there unhappily, or knows someone in any of those categories. Would like to hear the downsides from people who have experience them first hand.

Old 02-12-2008, 05:46 PM

932 posts, read 1,274,472 times
I'm native, but never lived (and probably wont) in Brier Creek.

I remember when it was all woods. go figure.

From what I've seen it seems nice- you can complain about the lot size, but the lot was the same size as when you bought it, so I don't think its a valid complaint. For people who want more land, the neighborhood isn't really looked at. It's convenient to most everything, which is a plus for a lot of people.

They've had some problems in the past couple of months with crime- most likely neighborhood kids, imo...or other kids...could it come from durham? sure- why couldn't it? But it could also come from within the community itself.

I think right now people are probably not happy because of the 'crime'. Where if they had locked their garages (or at least closed them! lol) they may not have been targeted.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:35 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,696,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
I'm native, but never lived (and probably wont) in Brier Creek.

I remember when it was all woods. go figure.

From what I've seen it seems nice- you can complain about the lot size, but the lot was the same size as when you bought it, so I don't think its a valid complaint. For people who want more land, the neighborhood isn't really looked at. It's convenient to most everything, which is a plus for a lot of people.

They've had some problems in the past couple of months with crime- most likely neighborhood kids, imo...or other kids...could it come from durham? sure- why couldn't it? But it could also come from within the community itself.

I think right now people are probably not happy because of the 'crime'. Where if they had locked their garages (or at least closed them! lol) they may not have been targeted.
The crime could also come from Cary or Chapel Hill or Apex or Holly Springs. Every neighborhood is eventually going to have issues when people get complacent.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:00 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,658,797 times
My husband works in Brier Creek. I wouldn't want to live in Brier Creek though. It feels too trendy and new to me. I live on a small lot in Cary. But the house was built in '90 and the neighborhood has a more estabished feel to me.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:32 PM

820 posts, read 2,788,726 times
Brier Creek is a good place to live. It's convenient to a lot of restaurants, a Lowes Foods (wish it was a Harris Teeter), shopping (every woman's favorite - Target), RTP, airport, 540, I-40. Although it is close to the airport it is not in the flight path so air traffic is not an issue.

The "crime" going on lately is related to people leaving their car doors unlocked. That kind of crime will happen anywhere. Same type of issues with the addition of vandalism was going on in Brookhaven which is nice and established.... neighborhood kids were the culprits.

The size of the lots is relative... many of the homes have a ~ 1/3 of an acre which is average or better in my opinion for newer construction in a prime location. You can definitely get more land with a comparable or better home by increasing your commute times to the main hubs. As with everything else, buyers compromise on one thing or another unless you pay more money (spend more and compromise less).

The neighborhood has a good mix of retirees, wage earners, new families, and kids. All this said, the home prices sky-rocketed over a 3 year period. Homes that closed for $330k in 2003 were selling into the $500k's as late as 2005. I think 2006 was the start of a slowdown and people are getting knocked back into reality a bit. Even with the slowdown in real estate, the days of $300k Single Family Homes in Brier Creek are still gone, unless it's a condo or townhome.

I'm a Raleigh native and think the area has come a long way. Some will like it, some won't but I think the success of the neighborhood is a good indication of what the masses think. PS, life is about to get even better, an Irish Pub is opening in the Brierdale shopping center.

Last edited by tlh1005; 02-12-2008 at 09:10 PM..

Old 02-12-2008, 08:43 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,524,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlh1005 View Post
Brier Creek is a good place to live. It's convenient to a lot of restaurants, a Lowes Foods (wish it was a Harris Teeter), shopping (every woman's favorite - Target), RTP, airport, 540, I-40. Although it is close to the airport it is not in the flight path so air traffic is not an issue.

The "crime" going on lately is related to people leaving their car doors unlocked. That kind of crime will happen anywhere. Same type of issues with the addition of vandalism was going on in Brookhaven which is nice and established.... neighborhood kids were the culprits.

The size of the lots is relative... many of the homes have a ~ 1/3 of an acre which is average or better in my opinion for newer construction in a prime location. You can definitely get more land with a comparable or better home by increasing your commute times to the "hubs" of the area so as with everything buyers compromise on one thing or another, unless you pay more money (spend more and compromise less).

The neighborhood has a good mix of retirees, wage earners, new families, and kids. All this said, the home prices sky-rocketed over a 3 year period. Homes that closed for $330k in 2003 were selling into the $500k's as late as 2005. I think 2006 was the start of a slowdown and people are getting knocked back into reality a but. Even with the slowdown in real estate, the days of $300k in Brier Creek are still gone, unless it's a condo of townhome.

I'm a Raleigh native and think the area has come a long way. Some will like it, some won't but I think the success of the neighborhood is a good indication of what the masses think. PS, life is about to get even better, an Irish Pub is opening in the Brierdale shopping center.
At the rate restaurants fold in that shopping center it will close down in about 3 months.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
At the rate restaurants fold in that shopping center it will close down in about 3 months.
I have thought the samething. That shopping center is cursed. If an Irish Pub can't survive there though, nothing will. I for one will do my best to keep it open!

Old 03-18-2008, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 21,327 times
Default Brier Creek Area

I have lived at The Townhomes of Brier Creek for 2 years and love the area. Unfortunatley we need a bigger place but the prices are so high we are considering moving to another part of Raleigh or Wake Forest. I hate it because I would love to stay in this area.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 21,327 times
Default Irish Pub

I heard it opened... I plan to go tonight!

Old 03-18-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kszilagy View Post
I heard it opened... I plan to go tonight!
It ("Trali") did open this past Friday. I went with a couple of friends on Sunday to have beer and watch golf. It's isn't a large bar as expected but is bigger than one would think just driving by.

They were still working out some kinks of course but I definitely plan on frequenting the establishment. We tried to go have some Shepard's Pie on Monday but of course it was way too packed for that!

I already told my wife that on those nights she and my daughter goto bed way earlier than I, I'll be making my way there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary