Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:00 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,086,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
That would suck. They say that financial aid requests do not have any impact on acceptance decisions.
I absolutely agree. But, I do wonder how they manage if they know they can only afford to accommodate X number of kids who require financial aid that the school has to provide (and not just loans).

Old 04-18-2016, 10:53 AM

4,296 posts, read 5,947,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I absolutely agree. But, I do wonder how they manage if they know they can only afford to accommodate X number of kids who require financial aid that the school has to provide (and not just loans).
They may be need-blind admissions, but financial aid awards are probably not admissions-blind. So if once they make admissions decisions for a given year, if the overall need is greater than their aid budget, they'll likely prioritize and some will be awarded less than they need or none at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 10:56 AM

3,225 posts, read 3,512,813 times
I would save the money and send my child to one of the local public high schools.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:08 AM

3,225 posts, read 3,512,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnarasi View Post
Thank you all so much for the information.

We bought a house based on the school assignment - GHHS but were also interested in a non-religious private school - hence Cary Academy. It looks like both schools have a good learning environment with one being a lot larger than the other. To us academic acheivement is important but we also want a happy well rounded child who loves the school. IT seems like we won' t be making a mistake with either school.

We have 2 more questions and appreciate all the responses:
1. College prep - is there a good % of kids going to the ivies or top universities at GHHS, do many of these colleges/universities come to GHHS
2. The average SAT scores at GHHS is 1900 and CA is 2040 but the averages mean nothing - does anyone have any information on the median range at both these schools.

Yes, students of local top tier high schools go to top universities, including Ivys, Stanford, etc. There are differences between sending your child to the school that will prepare them the best (or at least well enough) for college vs. doing what you need to do to enable your child to have the best chance to be accepted to a local top tier public university (UNC, NCSU, etc). There are many thousands of students at West Cary high schools who fit into the academic "over-achiever" category - due to culture, socio-economics, home environment, etc. So while the academic environment can be rigorous, it is more difficult to differentiate oneself from others when at one of these schools (GHHS, Panther Creek, Apex, + many other Wake county ones I didn't list, CHHS, ECHS, etc.) compared to a smaller school in a less populated area.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:08 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,086,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
They may be need-blind admissions, but financial aid awards are probably not admissions-blind. So if once they make admissions decisions for a given year, if the overall need is greater than their aid budget, they'll likely prioritize and some will be awarded less than they need or none at all.
That's a good point. Which makes me wonder if maybe once they get down to zero on aid for a family whose financials clearly demonstrate that the school is out of reach without the aid, do they just turn the kids down?

I say this because they make you give them SO much info to apply there. I have never seen a school ask for so much personal information. It's part of the reason we decided we had no interest in sending our daughter and since she wasn't eager to go, that cinched us not going through that wringer.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:28 AM

11 posts, read 20,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky, but what will that tell you? CA has the option of literally picking their students and can weed out the bottom third or half or whatever and it skews the data, compared to GHHS where almost everyone living in the zone is going to take the test.

No I don't think you are being snarky, it is a legitimate question. I completely understand the different demographics and ability of a private school to be picky. That is why averages mean nothing, there are huge outlyiers on the high and low side - but median provides a better picture. Since my kid is on neither side of the outlyers, a median compared to the mean provides me better insight.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:33 AM

6,647 posts, read 5,541,546 times
Median still doesn't tell you anything - how do you know your kid would be in the bottom 50% of his class at CA? How do you know your kid wouldn't be in the top 10% of his class at GHHS?

Old 04-19-2016, 11:26 AM

11 posts, read 20,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Median still doesn't tell you anything - how do you know your kid would be in the bottom 50% of his class at CA? How do you know your kid wouldn't be in the top 10% of his class at GHHS?
I was trying to get a ballpark, with many factors involved. Don't mean to agrue but lets choose to disagree on the value of the information. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary