Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 06:38 AM

64 posts, read 186,595 times

Advertisements

My wife is a corporate exec & I'm retired and we may be relocating to the Durham area. We are from CA but have lived in NJ for the past 3yrs. We are not familiar with North Carolina at all. I'm looking for a summaries (compare/contrast) of towns around and including Durham, (neighborhoods, demographics, walkable downtowns, which towns have high/low property taxes, towns with a good sense of community, low crime rates, golf course developments, etc.) My wife's new office would be close to RDU Airport so want to be fairly close... no more than a 20 minute commute or so.

Our ages are mid 40's/mid 50's and we'd like to live in vibrant neighborhoods but more on the affluent side. We are very social in that we like to enjoy nightlife, bars, restaurants, as well as enjoy being members of a country club. Our price range to purchase a home would be around 750K.

Appreciate any help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:18 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoon2012 View Post
My wife's new office would be close to RDU Airport so want to be fairly close... no more than a 20 minute commute or so.

Our ages are mid 40's/mid 50's and we'd like to live in vibrant neighborhoods but more on the affluent side. We are very social in that we like to enjoy nightlife, bars, restaurants, as well as enjoy being members of a country club. Our price range to purchase a home would be around 750K.
That is well out of my price range, so I am not an expert. Perhaps others will chime in.

The closest neighborhood to the RDU Airport is the Brier Creek Country Club area. I think you will find resales in your price range.

The Hope Valley Country Club is an older, established area of Durham. I like the looks of the older homes.

Hasentree, Wakefield or Heritage (of Wake Forest) might also suit you, but they are further away. The Governors Club in Chapel Hill is worth investigating as it has an indoor pool and lovely amenities. There are also numerous country clubs in North Raleigh, but I am not sure which ones have residences.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-20-2016 at 07:56 AM..

Old 03-20-2016, 07:18 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
What housing style do you like?

A really, really great neighborhood is Duke Forest in Durham, if you like modernist architecture. It's not a country club community, though, and you might need to add another 10 minutes on to that commute. A plus is that it's midway between downtown Durham and Chapel Hill, and you can easily spend your time in both places. Duke Forest is really interesting and well heeled.

There are many more but I'm not a great source of info on this, though did want to pass this along.

People might direct you to Brier Creek Country Club and that might be exactly what you want, though I feel like perhaps not if you mentioned Durham right off (near a lot of big box stores but very close to your wife's job). We have posters who live there and love it.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:57 AM

117 posts, read 140,883 times
Sounds like kids are not a concern or priority? And preference as to whether you are around families with kids or not?

Old 03-20-2016, 08:34 AM

Thanks! We will take a look at Brier Creek.... we really don't care for older homes (built in the 80's) got enough of that look in NJ.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:36 AM

Yes kids are not a concern... ours are in/out of college and live in other states. It really doesn't matter if we are around kids/families or not....

Old 03-20-2016, 09:14 AM

398 posts, read 498,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pontoon2012 View Post
My wife is a corporate exec & I'm retired and we may be relocating to the Durham area. We are from CA but have lived in NJ for the past 3yrs. We are not familiar with North Carolina at all. I'm looking for a summaries (compare/contrast) of towns around and including Durham, (neighborhoods, demographics, walkable downtowns, which towns have high/low property taxes, towns with a good sense of community, low crime rates, golf course developments, etc.) My wife's new office would be close to RDU Airport so want to be fairly close... no more than a 20 minute commute or so.

Appreciate any help! Thanks!
I don't think full summary exists right off the shelf. If you look at a map and find the names of the towns you see close to the airport, such as Cary, Morrisville, etc. Then search for existing posts on those places. For example:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ip-thread.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...oved-cary.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...y-raleigh.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...s-cary-nc.html

You should start by looking at Cary.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the threads reference... I'll take a look...

Old 03-20-2016, 10:18 AM

70 posts, read 93,596 times
As far as I know, there's no place in Durham at that price range that is also 20 minutes from rdu. What about Preston in Cary? They have a great country club, lots of shopping and restaurants nearby, it is safe, and would be an easy commute for your wife. Most of the homes were built around 2000. The Cary senior center is also nearby at Bond Park.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:22 AM

thanks... I'm looking at Brier Creek & Prestonwood CC now.. Also looking at Morrisville, heard that it was a nice place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary