Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 07:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,563,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Is it common to be deathly afraid of going into your crawlspace? The thought of snakes and a 2'x4' hole to escape from just horrifies me
Snakes wouldn't exist in the crawlspace if there wasn't any food e.g. mice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 07:28 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,416,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
If you are still having moisture issues I would stongly recommend installation of a dehumidifier. The cheap ones are not rated for use in a crawlspace. Use in a crawlspace would probably void the warranty (if you care about such things. However, be aware that there have been some recalls on inexpensive units in the past few years due to potential fire issues. That said, I've had an inexpensive one in my crawlspace for 10 years and it has functioned without issue.
Currently I have some old vapor barrier covering 50-60% so it needs to go. This week/weekend I plan to remove it and clean up the crawl space. There's a few spots with mold so those will be cleaned and will rent a fogger from home depot and do the whole space. Then new vapor barrier will go down. 2nd phase is sealing up the vents and installing a dehumidifier.

Does anyone know of somewhere local that sells a crawl space dehumidifier? I found one in Greensboro but would like something a little closer.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:45 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,698,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Is it common to be deathly afraid of going into your crawlspace? The thought of snakes and a 2'x4' hole to escape from just horrifies me
Correct, haha! I do most of my Crawlspace inspections in the winter when I'm the only one crawling down there. In the summertime, I get a strong flashlight and just look from the door for standing water, or spray insecticide from there.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:59 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,524,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Correct, haha! I do most of my Crawlspace inspections in the winter when I'm the only one crawling down there. In the summertime, I get a strong flashlight and just look from the door for standing water, or spray insecticide from there.
Yes, been surprised too many times in crawl spaces. Agree with the go in winter comment.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:51 PM

56 posts, read 63,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Does anyone know of somewhere local that sells a crawl space dehumidifier? I found one in Greensboro but would like something a little closer.
You can order them online (be aware they can be heavy/cumbersome so make sure you have what you need to maneuver it around and lift it properly). Or anyone who deals in the HVAC space will sell you one.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:04 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,667,756 times
Call Grainger's in Raleigh. The company sells dehumidifiers so I'd assume that they carry them in the local store.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:28 AM

347 posts, read 519,442 times
I've been running a 70 pint dehumidifier in my crawlspace for about 2.5 years with no issues. I think the crawlspace rated ones are a bit overkill if you have a good vapor barrier in place and have directed water away from the foundation.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 2,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
I've been running a 70 pint dehumidifier in my crawlspace for about 2.5 years with no issues. I think the crawlspace rated ones are a bit overkill if you have a good vapor barrier in place and have directed water away from the foundation.
I wouldn't sleep well knowing I was ignoring the manufacturers warning, considering the fires some of these things have caused when run under conditions they weren't designed for. Once you factor in the total lifespan of the unit, replacement cost and the energy efficiency of the larger ones, I personally don't think it's worth the gamble to run one that's designed and tested only for indoor spaces.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:38 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,539,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knbneff View Post
I wouldn't sleep well knowing I was ignoring the manufacturers warning, considering the fires some of these things have caused when run under conditions they weren't designed for. Once you factor in the total lifespan of the unit, replacement cost and the energy efficiency of the larger ones, I personally don't think it's worth the gamble to run one that's designed and tested only for indoor spaces.
Well, if you are running it in a crawlspace that is sealed, that is basically the same as running it indoors... With all other work being done the "right way", you shouldn't have excessive moisture. If you have a de-humidifier in your crawlspace that's running excessively, then you have moisture issues that need to be addressed.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 22 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Well, if you are running it in a crawlspace that is sealed, that is basically the same as running it indoors... With all other work being done the "right way", you shouldn't have excessive moisture. If you have a de-humidifier in your crawlspace that's running excessively, then you have moisture issues that need to be addressed.
I tend to agree.
We have a residential unit under the house, and it is cool and dry.
I suspect it will give up the ghost one day from overwork and not burst into flame on me,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary