Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:37 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How does Z determine this?

"Based on three metrics—sale-to-list price ratio, the prevalence of price cuts on home listings, and time-on-market"

But as another poster mentioned, Zillow is notoriously slow at updating status when a house is sold or in contract.

I do see in my neighborhood, the higher priced homes are sitting pretty long. The bottom of the market is still flying off the shelves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:43 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,892,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'll gladly take what Zillow thinks all 3 of our houses are worth. But, I'd also take a unicorn. Neither scenario is likely to be fruitful.
Just as I always feel like popping the horn off a unicorn to see if it is real, I wish I could dig deeper into the numbers to see how close their "trends" are overall.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Just as I always feel like popping the horn off a unicorn to see if it is real, I wish I could dig deeper into the numbers to see how close their "trends" are overall.
My observation is that when someone lists a house for a higher price near any of mine, my Zestimate goes up. When someone sells a house for a higher price than usual, my Zestimate goes up. When someone sells a house anywhere near mine, even if it's smaller, older, or tract? My Zestimates all go down.

So, yeah. I don't think they're comparing apples to any sort of other fruit to get their Zestimates.

It's more of this "we started with X value for your home, based on the tax rolls, and we adjust it X percentage points based on sales near you that may not relate to your home at all."

So, a shot in the dark predicated on tax values, sales, and listed homes.

That's about all I can figure.

So, it will naturally be right sometimes. But, it can be VERY wrong.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:35 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,813,797 times
Zillow compares our SFR to the condos around the corner all the time. The condos are selling for about $170K lower than the SFRs in our area. Needless to say, our zestimate was much lower than Realtor.com or Redfin estimated the value at.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:58 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
"Based on three metrics—sale-to-list price ratio, the prevalence of price cuts on home listings, and time-on-market"

But as another poster mentioned, Zillow is notoriously slow at updating status when a house is sold or in contract.

I do see in my neighborhood, the higher priced homes are sitting pretty long. The bottom of the market is still flying off the shelves.
"Sale to list price ratio" is one of the most meaningless stats in real estate, and Z deserves immense scorn for mentioning it, let alone using it.
"Prevalence of price cuts?" That is nearly as laughable.

Both of those are entirely subjectively controlled "metrics," and have absolutely no ties to actual market dynamics.
Overpriced houses selling at a discount to list after several price cuts, racking up high DOM can be found in any neighborhood, yet have little reflection on the "hotness" of the market. There is much more reflection on the agents and sellers who are less realistic.

Hey!
Perhaps Z should retitle: "Realistic and Unrealistic Markets: Which is Yours?"

Old 04-27-2016, 09:17 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,982,730 times
Estimates on my house vary by 15% depending on which site you look at...pretty much worthless. Several of them have dropped my estimates 3-5% over the past month for whatever reason.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:53 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I think people are getting smarter and now understand that Zillow isn't accurate on their Zestimate.

Sometimes their range is somewhat correct. I mean, if the range is $350,000 to $450,000, it would hard to be wrong!

I still have clients that use Zillow as it is user friendly; however, they have gotten smart enough to ignore the Zestimate!

Biggest problem I have is that they'll send me a list of homes they want to see and 4 out of 5 have sold. Grrrrr. Get with it, Zillow!

Old 04-27-2016, 08:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,410 times
I can't say i am familiar with that market over a long period of time, but i can say i know it well for the last month.
i visited over 100 houses in 4 weeks, in the 400-600K price range in the Cary/Apex area. Here's what i've learnt.
Nice houses in nice neighborhoods priced rights go way above asking price (based on the offers i made which were over asking price) and will go in 1 or 2 days (just to get more offers).
Smelly houses (cigarette, curry, cologne), over-priced houses, close-to-busy roads houses ... these types of houses are hard to sell and stick around for a bit.

So yeah, if you live in a nice area, i'm not surprised your home value is increasing, crazy cash buyers out there...

Old 04-28-2016, 05:35 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamwmcknight View Post
Individual Multiple Listing Services can choose to syndicate to Zillow or not. They do receive some MLS feeds, just not all. Unfortunately, even the information they do receive from an MLS is not always correct.
Correct and our local MLS does not syndicate to them. Which is why for our area the sites are absolute junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienceGuy View Post
I noticed that Zillow is not having current status of the house. Redfin says house is sold but in Zillow it is still active. i see consistency with Redfin and Movoto. I stopped looking at Zillow and Trulia.
Hire a buyers agent and have them add you to the MLS. In this market you need listings when they hit the market, not in hours or days later. Also they can send you coming soon homes that are not syndicated to any online sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftback_ View Post
I can't say i am familiar with that market over a long period of time, but i can say i know it well for the last month.
i visited over 100 houses in 4 weeks, in the 400-600K price range in the Cary/Apex area. Here's what i've learnt.
Nice houses in nice neighborhoods priced rights go way above asking price (based on the offers i made which were over asking price) and will go in 1 or 2 days (just to get more offers).
Smelly houses (cigarette, curry, cologne), over-priced houses, close-to-busy roads houses ... these types of houses are hard to sell and stick around for a bit.

So yeah, if you live in a nice area, i'm not surprised your home value is increasing, crazy cash buyers out there...
100 houses, your buyer agent (agents?) must be tired lol.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:53 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftback_ View Post

100 houses?

Ugh. Why so many? Hell, I enjoy looking at potential dwellings, but 100 houses??? In 4 weeks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary