U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2016, 02:07 PM

40 posts, read 233,524 times

Advertisements

I'm a first time mom, so I'm really new to all of this. My son is just turning 1, but I know I need to start planning ahead for preschool.

My husband and I aren't religious at all, so I guess sending our son to a church preschool is out of the question, because they would be teaching him religious material.. or am I wrong?

We have a small budget. ~$300 a month. Is this doable?

I'm trying my best to search/Google preschools nearby, but I'm only coming across church-preschools, or super fancy private preschools that cost upwards of $800/month. Which we absolutely cannot afford.

Where do I start my search? Any recommendations?

We live near Brier Creek, but I'm open to any areas. We just moved to Raleigh in January of this year.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 02:14 PM

2,913 posts, read 3,117,000 times
For what age are looking and do you want part time or full time?

For a part time non-religious program I would recommend Greenwood Forest Children's Center in Cary. They are located in a church but not affiliated. They do sing a "blessing" before eating that essentially says thanks for the food but there is no religious instructions or chapel time. I think they offer the best combination or caring, fun and learning.

Old 04-28-2016, 02:21 PM

40 posts, read 233,524 times
I was thinking about part-time, and not until he was 3 years old. But I know a lot of places you need to sign up to be on a wait list... is this the case with all preschools?

Old 04-28-2016, 07:26 PM

222 posts, read 231,746 times
I recently toured a few facilities for my 4 year old. The rates will be different since your child is younger. Primary Beginnings was one of the 5 star facilities I toured, off North Hills Dr. For my child, it would be 99/wk for 2 full days or 145 wk for 3 full days. This was significantly less than other 5 star facilities.

Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 PM

2,913 posts, read 3,117,000 times
OP there are many half day programs in the area. While you may need to sign up early, there are not usually waitlists that start years in advance. That said, please bear in mind that a high price does not equal high quality. My child was in a half day program for ages 3 and 4 at a five star facility, it was horrible. They had too many kids in the class. Since they had 3 and 4yr olds together they could follow a 10/1 ratio and have 20 kids with 2 teachers. The teachers were so focused on drilling (yelling) academics into 3 year olds that they "did not have time" to go outside some days!!!

Oh and I forgot to mention in my previous post. Greenwood Forest Children's Center (http://www.gfcccary.com/) is $295 for 5 days 4 hours for four year olds. I am not sure what the 3 year old rate is. This maybe too far from you but my advice is to look around and don't rule out anything until you check it out and visit.

Old 04-29-2016, 10:06 AM

12,475 posts, read 31,018,695 times
Are you looking for day care or preschool?

If preschool, most of the programs are half days. I was a stay at home mom so I sent my kids to preschool.

At 3 years old, they went 2- half days. At 4 years, they went 3 - half days. My kids went to Raleigh Pre-School, which is a parent co -op.

Most of the pre-schools are operated by Churches. A bit of religion never hurt anyone, in MHO!

Old 05-02-2016, 08:11 AM

22 posts, read 63,428 times
Our son went to The International Preschool of Raleigh. He was there 3 years and is now 6 years old, reading on a 2 grade level and doing almost 2 grade level math. Great school. Difficult to find an open spot. Call them!

Old 05-04-2016, 06:50 AM

749 posts, read 1,985,185 times
You won't find anywhere around here at that price. You might find a stay at home mom to do it at that price. The cheapest I priced was $500 a month for 2 days a week.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:02 AM

514 posts, read 560,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
You won't find anywhere around here at that price. You might find a stay at home mom to do it at that price. The cheapest I priced was $500 a month for 2 days a week.
I have come across nothing close to that price either. The cheapest place we found near us was a small church preschool at $185 per week for 3 half days. When we priced dayscares near us (before my 9 y/o started school), we were going to have to fork out almost $2000 per month for two children.

While many things are cheaper here than the Charleston, SC area, this category is not.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:14 AM

146 posts, read 669,688 times
It depends how you define part-time. If you're only talking 2 days a week for half days, the 3 year old class at Discovery (in Morrisville, non-religious) is $325. 3 days goes to $420 and all 5 days is $520.

Enrollment - Discovery Child Development Center - Preschool located in Morrisville

We've put both our kids through there, and absolutely love the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary