Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:06 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,500 times

Advertisements

I know the answer to this question may vary from school to school, and areas to areas. I was wondering how many times a week do Middle School sports teams practice. I am referring to Middle School Varsity or A teams which are the more competitive divisions. Again, some schools may emphasize more in athletics than other schools

If anyone knows, or has a child that plays Middle School sports whether being in a regular public school, a Charter school or a Private, can you please respond indicating how many days a week, and whether it is public or private school, and what sport.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 07:11 PM

514 posts, read 602,503 times
I will speak for softball locally. The schools had tryouts, then had 2 weeks to get ready for games, so (as I understand it) they practiced each week day to prepare. I am not sure if that is what you were looking for or not.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:40 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
Wife teaches at a WCPSS middle school. She confirms that they practice every day.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:43 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
My daughter did cross-country and lacrosse in middle school. In both cases, they practiced Mon through Thurs. afternoons. Friday afternoons were off.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:45 PM

750 posts, read 853,761 times
Pvt school. They practice every day

Old 04-30-2016, 08:41 PM

Thank you all for the replies so far. Based on the responses so far, it seems as if 4 or 5 days a week is the norm whether it is public schools or private schools.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:35 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Public Middle School and High School in Wake County will practice or have a game every day - including Fridays. The sport doesn't matter.

In Wake County they cannot practice on days off from school, so no weekends or teacher workdays.

Oldest child goes to private HS and they have been practicing on Saturdays as well. He plays baseball.

Football is a different story. Be prepared to sign your life away for football. For middle school "non mandatory" workouts will start over the summer, but if you want to make the team, you best show up for some of them. Measuring for helmet also occurred over the summer for middle school. I believe tryouts were the week before school started, but maybe they started the first day of school (that would be the latest any fall sport tries out, by the way).
High school football is also going to start over the summer except for two state mandated "dead periods" where no one is allowed to practice, meet, etc. Expect your child to have to go away for some "team building" over the summer for a few days as well.
My DS is not done with baseball yet and will go right from baseball to "spring football". It's a grind.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:42 AM

Twingles,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Yes, it seems as if Football is pretty much the same in most places. It is a long season with the grind of hot summer practices.

It seems as if up here in NC the winter sports season is a long season with Middle School basketball season practices beginning in October in some schools and early November in others, and going until February. I am also noticing that there are many middle school basketball teams playing as many games as almost that of High School JV teams. Some schools playing about 20 Middle School basketball games! It seems a bit much, but I guess if they start early and have a long season it may not seem like that much. In many places if a Middle School team plays 16 regular season games it is considered too many games.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:34 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Middle schools on the western side of Wake County start basketball in November and it does go through February, however there is a December vacation thrown in as well. I don't think they play 20 games, seems more like 12-15. Maybe the north and eastern side of the county play more, not sure.
Nothing seems like as much of a grind as football to me. Costs more than the other sports too.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:26 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,213 times
My son played Football and Basketball. They practiced Monday - Thursday with Friday being "open" if needed. Once the season started, one of those nights was an actual game. So we went from the end of August until mid-February with practices EVERY night after school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary