Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 01:04 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
I want to just say "trust me" and leave it at that... but to be fair, I'll make it a point to go to Circle K sometime soon and see if what they have is really the same thing as a Slurpee.
We had 7-11 stores here for YEARS. The last one to close in Raleigh was over near Rolesville, I do believe.

That was in the last 10 years, even.

Soo...it's not like we have never bought Slurpees from a local store. All the natives likely have.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:06 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,377,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior_88 View Post
Ok, a water park at least. If Greensboro and Wilmington can support one Raleigh sure as hell can.
I don't know if I'd say that Greensboro alone supports Emerald Point (or whatever they call it now...). They seem to have a larger area they draw from precisely because they're the only one but I could be wrong. Also I've heard they're suffering badly as of late so I wonder if they'll stay around much longer.

And Wilmington, I'm not sure if that's a good comparison either because it's the beach and waterparks are kind of expected there. Also, the waterparks in Wilmington leave a lot to be desired...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
THIS.

Also:
- A freeway route between 440 and N. Raleigh
Care to say more about this and be more specific? I'm curious.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I don't know if I'd say that Greensboro alone supports Emerald Point (or whatever they call it now...). They seem to have a larger area they draw from precisely because they're the only one but I could be wrong. Also I've heard they're suffering badly as of late so I wonder if they'll stay around much longer.

And Wilmington, I'm not sure if that's a good comparison either because it's the beach and waterparks are kind of expected there. Also, the waterparks in Wilmington leave a lot to be desired...
Raleigh supported one for 50 years. And... it was sold in 2009.

So, yes... we have had a water park. It eventually quit making money so out it went.

People tend to want stuff to be there when they want it, only they don't want it enough to keep it in business. Or, that has been my observation about human nature.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:23 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,741,003 times
When I suggested waterparks, I didn't mean a large private one like Emerald Pointe. I meant smaller, county-run waterparks that are like $10 to get in. Northern Virginia had about 8 of these, and they were a lot of fun for the kids to go to throughout the summer without breaking the bank. I'm surprised that for such a family-friendly, not to mention hot and humid area, that there aren't any of these around here,

Old 05-03-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
When I suggested waterparks, I didn't mean a large private one like Emerald Pointe. I meant smaller, county-run waterparks that are like $10 to get in. Northern Virginia had about 8 of these, and they were a lot of fun for the kids to go to throughout the summer without breaking the bank. I'm surprised that for such a family-friendly, not to mention hot and humid area, that there aren't any of these around here,
That is exactly what Silver Lake was. Not county run, but a small business.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Raleigh supported one for 50 years. And... it was sold in 2009.

So, yes... we have had a water park. It eventually quit making money so out it went.

People tend to want stuff to be there when they want it, only they don't want it enough to keep it in business. Or, that has been my observation about human nature.

I remember Silver Lake, and we went there quite often when I was growing up. It was fun, but also had a lot of problems in the later years for water quality and safety issues. Too bad that it closed down.

It actually didn't really come to mind when someone said "water park", just like I don't think of Fantasy Lake near Fayetteville as a "water park" but I guess it counts too.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:49 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,717,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I haven't tried Circle K, but I've often had people try to tell me that Slurpees and Icees are the same thing. But they aren't. I don't know if it's a consistency thing, but Slurpees seem more "velvety" to me (for lack of a better descriptor)
That's... a perfect descriptor, actually. It also describes how the Frozen Coke at Burger King is a whole different experience from a Coke Slurpee.

Old 05-03-2016, 01:59 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,717,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Care to say more about this and be more specific? I'm curious.
Well, if you want to traverse east-west (or vice versa) across Raleigh without hitting traffic lights, you have several freeway routes to take: 40, 440, and 540. There is no such choice if you're traveling northerly/southerly; your choices are Glenwood, Creedmoor, Six Forks, Wake Forest/Falls of Neuse, and Capital.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like a city of 400k+ people with a defined downtown area should have freeway routes running to and from the city center in four cardinal directions, not just two.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:00 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,741,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That is exactly what Silver Lake was. Not county run, but a small business.
I posted this first link earlier in the thread, but this is what I mean about county-run waterparks. The parks in the first link are actually part of a consortium of a few Northern Virginia counties. In addition to these five waterparks, some of the counties and cities in Northern Virginia also have their own waterparks, so that there are about 8 waterparks in Northern Virginia plus one larger, private one. With the Triangle population being similar to the Northern Virginia population, and both being very family-friendly areas, I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be popular here.

https://www.novaparks.com/waterparks/

Water Mine Family Swimmin' Hole*- Fairfax County, Virginia

City of Manassas Park Parks & Recreation - Signal Bay Water Park

http://waterworkswaterpark.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary