Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 07:32 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Are those still around. I think I was a kid the last time I saw one - not going to say how many years ago that was.
They are around in DC/MD area. They are actually reopening them up there. Whenever I go see my dad I hit up the one near his house. The same as it ever was, so yummy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 07:40 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Man, some of y'all really like your chain restaurants

Old 05-04-2016, 07:42 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
a great Mexican food restaurant...or two...

Old 05-04-2016, 07:45 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,379,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Agreed wholeheartedly! IMO, a highway would have destroyed downtown and certainly affected the current expansion of the DT experience eastward. There was a proposal to have an expressway plow through Oakwood, and adjacent to the east side of Moore Square. I mean, how stupid were they back then?
I am perfectly happy with the couplet that runs through town now. Certainly upgrades are coming to Capital heading north from DT that should improve the experience and infill development opportunities. The south side of the couplet could use a little love too

Here's a link to a significant proposal from 1965 that shows the proposed expressway through Oakwood and South Park, the extension of Wade Ave. eastward as an expressway and the Epcot-ish proposal for the state government complex as a campus of "east german" looking buildings that surround undulating lakes that reach the doosteps of the governor's mansion. It gets really interesting starting on page 33.
The Beltline was presumed to come around the south side from the east and move northwest toward DT and eventually hook up to the current location of Western Blvd as (I presume) part of the Beltline.

http://www.historicoakwood.org/pdf/N...alPlan1965.pdf
Oooh thanks!!! Can't wait to check it out! I was looking for it for reference but was at work and didn't have time to dig around. Leave it to the Oakwood group to have it saved!

Old 05-04-2016, 07:51 AM
ERH

1,699 posts, read 2,528,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Is that from Hurricane Fran or more recently?!
Tropical Storm Alberto, June 2006

Old 05-04-2016, 08:32 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Not all chains are created equal.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:18 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
a great Mexican food restaurant...or two...
There's quite a few - authentic, non-authentic or Tex-Mex: Taqueria El Toro, Salt & Lime, Gonza, Jose and Sons, Centro etc....

Old 05-04-2016, 09:25 AM

265 posts, read 269,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Not all chains are created equal.
But over time they all morph and degrade their standards into the same low quality crap.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:31 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenguista View Post
But over time they all morph and degrade their standards into the same low quality crap.
My original statement stands.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:29 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Chains are "safe". I've never had a GREAT burger from Burger King, but I've never had a bad one either. Local restaurants are a bit more risky. Your local restaurant can be awesome or it can make you sick. Large chains tend to play it safe in order to please the majority and to avoid legal actions.

Also, a local restaurant can be great but unsuccessful financially. This causes many local favorites to come and go. There's nothing I hate more than to get hooked onto a great local favorite; only to watch them close up shop 6 months later. Chains are far more stable and reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary