Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,192 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at purchasing a Villa in the Del Web Community at Carolina Preserve in Cary NC.

Can anyone tell me if the Villas have good soundproofing ? I'm not particularly loud, but also do not want to hear every move my neighbor makes.

I'm also under 60. Can someone help me with the age demographics there. I get along with folks of all ages.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 08:11 AM

13,372 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead101 View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a Villa in the Del Web Community at Carolina Preserve in Cary NC.

Can anyone tell me if the Villas have good soundproofing ? I'm not particularly loud, but also do not want to hear every move my neighbor makes.
The floorplans are available if you Google them. The villas are duplexes, and the master bedroom and garage are on the common wall. Hopefully, the neighbor is a quiet single!

I can only tell you that it is possible to install soundproofing with an additional layer of drywall.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:11 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Have you considered walking around and asking residents? We found that approach to ve very helpful when we were relocating (one of the reasons we quickly decided against St James Plantation in Southport.)

Old 05-06-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Have you considered walking around and asking residents?
That also is the only way you will know what the age demographics are. I don't believe it is legal for Realtors to discuss the ages of residents, although there may be an exception for age-qualified communities.

I would bet that the Villa owners are older, and likely widowed. The Villas have yard-work in their services, which is more likely to appeal to someone what does not want to be responsible for yardwork.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:34 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The Villas have yard-work in their services, which is more likely to appeal to someone what does not want to be responsible for yardwork.

Yard work/lawn and garden maintenance are part of the HOA fees on all homes in both Carolina Preserve and Carolina Arbors.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:10 AM

Do you know if anyone has done this and what the approximate cost might be ?

Thank you.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:15 AM

yes, and the response was - depends on who you have for neighbors. Not really what I wanted to hear.

These days, there is technology to pretty much eliminate the transfer of sound by creating air space between walls, but I've been unable to get a response from the Pulte engineers - who built the units.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Yard work/lawn and garden maintenance are part of the HOA fees on all homes in both Carolina Preserve and Carolina Arbors.
As well as all Del Webb communities, afaik.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead101 View Post
Do you know if anyone has done this and what the approximate cost might be ?
If you are speaking of the additional layer of drywall to one wall of a bedroom. My husband is handy and did this himself to block the sound of the heat-pump outside the wall. It was four or five sheets of sound-proofing drywall (delivered), some drywall mud, and a gallon of paint. Lowes sells "QuietRock" panels at $52.50 each, so the cost was about $300.

Home Depot also sells QuietRock in smaller pieces which are easier to handle, but more expensive.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-09-2016 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-09-2016, 09:28 AM

190 posts, read 200,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
If you are speaking of the additional layer of drywall to one wall of a bedroom. My husband is handy and did this himself to block the sound of the heat-pump outside the wall. It was four or five sheets of sound-proofing drywall (delivered), some drywall mud, and a gallon of paint. Lowes sells "QuietRock" panels at $52.50 each, so the cost was about $300.

Home Depot also sells QuietRock in smaller pieces which are easier to handle, but more expensive.
Soundproofing can be tricky and you might throw money in the garbage, especially with so called "quiet drywall". You are better off with thick and heavy drywall that sold for around 15 each.

Understanding STC and Measuring Sound Loss - Soundproofing Company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary