Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Haha, you'd think CVS would be smarter and open up to more hours by now, and stock some real groceries. They would rake it in!
I do not expect CVS to have an extensive grocery selection as it is more of a drugstore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,580,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Not to derail this thread, but there is a lot of grocery competition in uptown Charlotte. In addition to what you've already mentioned, there is a full service Target next to Trader Joes (which sells everything from groceries to bicycles). There's also two full service CVS's uptown. 1 CVS is open till 10pm daily and the other is open till midnight daily; both stock light grocery. Uptown also has a full service Walgreens that stocks light grocery (open daily till 10pm). There is also the 7th street public market that features locally sourced grocery items (NC dairy, NC seafood, NC produce etc). And then there is the Whole Foods under construction uptown at the Stonewall light rail station.

There's rumors of Publix possibly building a location at the two skyhouse apartments uptown. To be honest, there's not really a shortage of places to buy beer, milk, bread, meat, and pet food in uptown Charlotte. Buying clothes is where uptown Charlotte struggles.
Ah gotcha - I forgot about the Target next to the Trader Joe's. I don't consider a CVS a grocery store.......but the Whole Foods would definitely add healthy competition. I haven't lived there in a few years so I'm sure there have been tons of changes.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:30 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Ah gotcha - I forgot about the Target next to the Trader Joe's. I don't consider a CVS a grocery store.......but the Whole Foods would definitely add healthy competition. I haven't lived there in a few years so I'm sure there have been tons of changes.
CVS/Walgreens are certainly not grocers. However, they do fill a void. Small downtown convenience stores help too. There are quite a few convenience stores uptown now. I don't recall their names, but I do know that 7 Eleven has two uptown locations.

Anyway, my guess for a DT Raleigh grocer would be Publix. Publix would LOVE to give the Cameron Village Harris Teeter a little competition.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:16 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Not to derail this thread, but there is a lot of grocery competition in uptown Charlotte. In addition to what you've already mentioned, there is a full service Target next to Trader Joes (which sells everything from groceries to bicycles). There's also two full service CVS's uptown. 1 CVS is open till 10pm daily and the other is open till midnight daily; both stock light grocery. Uptown also has a full service Walgreens that stocks light grocery (open daily till 10pm). There is also the 7th street public market that features locally sourced grocery items (NC dairy, NC seafood, NC produce etc). And then there is the Whole Foods under construction uptown at the Stonewall light rail station.

There's rumors of Publix possibly building a location at the two skyhouse apartments uptown. To be honest, there's not really a shortage of places to buy beer, milk, bread, meat, and pet food in uptown Charlotte. Buying clothes is where uptown Charlotte struggles.
As pierre said drug stores aren't grocers, but something is better than nothing. And they're also usually pricey. But from what I hear Publix is kinda pricey, too.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:27 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
CVS in Downtown Tampa is the same way basically. They could really do good business in these DT locations if they upped their game.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:33 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
Haha, you'd think CVS would be smarter and open up to more hours by now, and stock some real groceries. They would rake it in!
The CVS downtown must be run by someone that doesn't care about making money. There have been numerous occasions where Fayetteville Street will be closed or there's a giant festival going on in the area and there will be thousands of people right by that store.

So much money could be made if they were open sane hours just so people could pickup something like a bottle of water, snacks, or other random take-away item. Nope closed.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:39 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
If I remember right, Charlotte has a smaller Harris Teeter uptown (north of the Epicenter more towards BOA stadium). There's also a Trader Joe's just outside of the I-277 loop (that is always jammed pack with people) and Publix has a location South End.

So I guess there really aren't numerous options "downtown" there as well.

BJ's is located under Target too now.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:57 AM

530 posts, read 637,257 times
Right now Durham has the Whole Foods, Dollar General and the Durham Co-op right on the borders of downtown. But this weekend the Bull City Bodega will be opening up right in the heart of downtown tommorow Bulldega Urban Market | Durham County | Paid Advertising - Open for Business | Community. Curious to see how they will do.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:32 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
Right now Durham has the Whole Foods, Dollar General and the Durham Co-op right on the borders of downtown. But this weekend the Bull City Bodega will be opening up right in the heart of downtown tommorow Bulldega Urban Market | Durham County | Paid Advertising - Open for Business | Community. Curious to see how they will do.

That's pretty big news. Hope it does well.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:06 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
The CVS downtown must be run by someone that doesn't care about making money. There have been numerous occasions where Fayetteville Street will be closed or there's a giant festival going on in the area and there will be thousands of people right by that store.

So much money could be made if they were open sane hours just so people could pickup something like a bottle of water, snacks, or other random take-away item. Nope closed.
Yeah, that thing is a hot mess. Only thing I can think of is they must have a phenomenal problem with shrink because I can't think of any other reason they keep the hours they keep. Mind boggling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary