Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 08:02 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,166,601 times

Advertisements

Had a sheriff deputy hit me with laser on 98 one day. It was an alert I wasn't used to and never heard on my old Passport. Scared me, to be honest, I had just passed a slow moving car, and had just slowed back down to within 5 of the limit when he crested the hill and tapped the laser! Only laser signal I ever got around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 08:08 AM

183 posts, read 198,056 times
Had a similar experience heading north on 1 many many years back. Other experience was down the hill on Cary pkwy heading towards Evans. Bike cop parked between trees on median. Both ended in tickets.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:14 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoder View Post
Im a big tech nerd and have always driven with a detector since I got my license back in the early 90's, but there is a basic cost benefit analysis that tells you no detector is ever worth that much. You would need five reckless driving tickets (I believe those can up to $400 each) to justify such a device.

I would suggest tailoring your speeding to include situational awareness and not only reliance on tech. Even with the best detector you can't catch laser when it's instantly switched on at a trap. You'll get the alert a few minutes before you're waiting for the ticket on the side of the road.

As for nobody using K, several triangle patrol cars have K band. Those are mostly city police. The troopers are using Ka. Problem with K is when you have an older detector with no DSP, you get a lot of false positives thanks to the adaptive cruise and collision alert systems in modern vehicles. My personal nemesis since I'm still using an older detector. I know it so well that it still works great for me, but the display is hosed and it needs a new power cable

My suggestion for anyone shopping for a detector is limit spending to $500 or less. It will pay for itself the first few times you avoid a ticket. I wouldn't drive without one at this point but so many do. The more you know
Of course it depends on how you drive...but you're wrong about laser and wrong about no detector being worth it. Maybe not to you. One 90 in a 55 can doom you for well over $2k in legal fees, court costs, insurance hikes, etc...especially including the time to deal with all that nonsense. Nevermind speeding in an area where jail time is a consideration.

In the event you get a lawyer for tickets - you're looking at typically no less than $300 a pop incl lawyer fees and court costs when they get the ticket wiped. So yes, in order for it to "pay for itself" you need to have a pretty consistent speeding problem. Again, "oh my goodness who goes 90mph wah wah" folks no need for your lecture. It could be someone doing a quick pass at the wrong time, could be anything. Again, not interested in a lecture, falling on deaf ears.

As for a laser detector - no one wants to detect a laser hit, because as you say, by then its too late.

So why do you think that set up costs $2k? Because it has multiple laser shifters - its not about detecting the laser its about jamming the signal. As I mentioned, you can go even more in depth here with a unit like ALP that provides protection against the latest and greatest units any police force has but the $2k setup listed here is pretty thorough for most people.

Again - there isnt a "cost justification" here. This is not a "let me calculate the ROI of my decision here..." - if you have to do that, its too expensive. These types of setups (IE again there are better/more effective setups than the one linked here) are for people who want max protection at any price.

If you just want basic protection, youre right, a used V1, recent Passport etc will do just fine for your K/KA encounters. If you just have a lead foot and like to jolt around a bit faster than avg, go for it. If you want full freedom, you're exposed without laser protection. The more you know

Old 05-06-2016, 07:14 PM

122 posts, read 98,589 times
Waze is getting good at being a speed trap detector too, so I am told.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:50 PM

Ah, didn't pick up on that being a laser jammer setup. I glanced at it and saw shifter and didn't think they'd gotten that creative to avoid litigation. What's the state by state legality of jammers these days?

I've had a handful of tickets since I moved south and they never cost more than $250, all to the lawyer and never a court appearance or a single point on the license. They truly only care about the money down here. Safety lol

As for it being worth it, for the average driver no it isn't worth $2000. If you have money to burn then talking about what is or isn't worth it isn't a relevant topic for anything to begin with. Even if it gives you an artificial sense of freedom to drive like a jerk. If you're that bad that you're breaking laws to the tune of thousands of dollars in fines on an average day, please get a dash cam and send me the link to your YouTube channel

Old 05-07-2016, 05:47 AM

Some states legal some not. Doesn't really matter. You can JTK (jam to kill) or JTG (jam to gun), JTK means you jam for typically 3-4sec, enough that you can detect/jam/react i.e. Slow down, then release the jam meaning the cop gets your speed after you have adjusted. That way they aren't suspicious. If you do get pulled over....they are parking sensors. Period. Nothing more needs to be said.

Not much of a difference between $250 and $300 but just to illustrate that you kind of don't know what you're talking about - 15mph over in Durham county is exactly a $30 fine and $141 in court costs. Unless your lawyer charges you $74 for their fee (which is half of the lowest I've seen)...you're not getting out of that ticket for $250. I was being conservative at $300.

Also who said anything about thousands of dollars "a day" - thats just shifting the grounds of the discussion. As I said, these setups are for people who want full protection. If you think $2k is too much you either don't fall into that category or can't afford it. That's OK. Average person who likes to drive fast can get away with a good V1/passport setup alone. They just shouldn't be upset when they get tagged by LIDAR on Maynard Rd or on an overpass over 440, or 40, or 85....

Again not trying to be a jerk but it's painful when people post misinformation up behind a computer screen. Other people read these forums and base their decisions on things people say. The truth matters, more than you or anyone else looking smart.

You are 100% right about it being all about the $....has nothing to do with safety. Pure revenue generation. It truly is pay to play....as long as the charge isn't too egregious and as long as you can pay for a lawyer, worst case is probably 7 over or an online driving class (which I suspect but have not confirmed some lawyers get kickbacks on so be careful).

Last edited by rory breaker; 05-07-2016 at 06:19 AM..

Old 05-07-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Not much of a difference between $250 and $300 but just to illustrate that you kind of don't know what you're talking about - 15mph over in Durham county is exactly a $30 fine and $141 in court costs. Unless your lawyer charges you $74 for their fee (which is half of the lowest I've seen)...you're not getting out of that ticket for $250. I was being conservative at $300.

Again not trying to be a jerk but it's painful when people post misinformation up behind a computer screen. Other people read these forums and base their decisions on things people say. The truth matters, more than you or anyone else looking smart.
Lol I'm not making up numbers champ. I am telling you what I personally paid lawyers to have tickets resolved without any points to my license. I am not concerned with you thinking I'm correct or if I look smart. Clearly you think very highly of yourself and your opinions of what is a reasonable amount to spend on a detection solution. Good for you.

As for you not trying to be a jerk, you have written several pages in your efforts to prove that, so I'll just thank you and wish you a nice weekend.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:15 AM

haha ok "champ" enjoy! The truth is out there

Old 05-07-2016, 10:05 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoder View Post
Im a big tech nerd and have always driven with a detector since I got my license back in the early 90's, but there is a basic cost benefit analysis that tells you no detector is ever worth that much. You would need five reckless driving tickets (I believe those can up to $400 each) to justify such a device.

I would suggest tailoring your speeding to include situational awareness and not only reliance on tech. Even with the best detector you can't catch laser when it's instantly switched on at a trap. You'll get the alert a few minutes before you're waiting for the ticket on the side of the road.

As for nobody using K, several triangle patrol cars have K band. Those are mostly city police. The troopers are using Ka. Problem with K is when you have an older detector with no DSP, you get a lot of false positives thanks to the adaptive cruise and collision alert systems in modern vehicles. My personal nemesis since I'm still using an older detector. I know it so well that it still works great for me, but the display is hosed and it needs a new power cable

My suggestion for anyone shopping for a detector is limit spending to $500 or less. It will pay for itself the first few times you avoid a ticket. I wouldn't drive without one at this point but so many do. The more you know
I am honestly not being snarky here, but why not just drive the speed limit? When I used to drive, I would always just set the cruise for the speed limit and let it go in the middle lane. I get there when I get there.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:28 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I am honestly not being snarky here, but why not just drive the speed limit? When I used to drive, I would always just set the cruise for the speed limit and let it go in the middle lane. I get there when I get there.
That's what I talking about I get a kick sometimes when people run around me driving like a fool. If I see them at the next light I usually give them the index finger wave natives use so well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary