Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 02:43 PM

9 posts, read 9,176 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Planning to move the family this summer to the Cary/Morrisville area from So Fl./Ft Lauderdale area.
We have visited the area once, however, I would greatly appreciate if people in the know would compare/contrast the traffic and the weather between the two areas.

Thank you very much.

Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 06:20 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,771 times
Hi Paul,

Being that I've been visiting Raleigh now for almost 10 years, and for almost a year I have been living in both Raleigh and Miami, I can give you some insight. For one, traffic is much much worse in South Florida. I'm not in Fort Lauderdale, but go there often. Outside of traffic hours in Raleigh, traffic is not bad at all. Even during rush hour, there is traffic, but nothing like South Florida.

Weather? Believe it or not, I like the weather in Raleigh better. Yes, it can get cold in the winter, but what I consider cold weather (highs in the 30s and 40s) does not last long. Also, during the winter there are still many nice sunny days with highs in the 50s and at times 60s. This winter, once March began, the weather hasn't really been that cold with the exceptions of a few mornings and evening that the lows went down to about 32. For the most part though, in March and beginning of April, lows were mostly in the 40s and 50s, with highs anywhere between mid 50s-70s, with a few days in the 80s and even 1 day it hit 90. Summer's can get hot, 2 things stand out:
1- What I consider really hot summer weather doesn't last that long. Right around the official start of summer, around June 21st is when temperatures begin to hit 90. By late August the weather begins to gradually change.

2- Even though highs can be between 95-100 during the hot summer days, I'll take 96 degrees in Raleigh any day over 90 degrees in Miami. The humidity in South FL is much stronger making it feel more uncomfortable than Raleigh.

3- It cools down at night more in Raleigh. With the exception of those extreme hot summer days, overnight lows in Raleigh can be about 70.

4- More drastic temperature changes in Raleigh than South Fl. You can have the weather go from highs of 55 one day, to a high of 85 the next day.

I like the fact that one can live without AC for over half the year. Also, there are many days in the fall and spring that you won't need AC or heater to be comfortable.

Overall, I like the traffic and weather in Raleigh better.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:11 PM

Hello Observer, and thank you so much for taking the time.

We've visited last July, and i've been counting the days ever since. I remember mid to high 70s before noon, and the traffic just like you said. So far, the weather's been nice in So Fl, however, i'm really not looking fwd to the next few months.

Thank you
Paul

Old 05-07-2016, 05:16 PM

715 posts, read 888,967 times
I own on Marco Island and spend as much time there as possible... The Raleigh area is getting crowded but nothing like FL...Only negative about Raleigh is the distance to the beaches.., when I am in Florida having coffee and cocktails by the beach is priceless.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:22 PM

184 posts, read 311,447 times
Being a trained weather spotter for the NWS and a infrasctructure "geek", like others have said. Traffic is not even comparable. Sure during rush hours on 40 and some other major roads get heavy traffic but that will be anywhere and it is nowhere like I 95 from PBI to MIA or any of the toll roads like Dolphin Expwy, etc etc. It is all about timing and you will learn as you get used to the area in Raleigh-Durham. It really isn't as bad people sometime make it sound.

As for the wx what Observer said is spot on. Fall and Spring are magnificent times but the temps can be on a roller coaster some times. Winter is "chilly" with highs average in the 40's during the day and 20-30's at night. But even in winter you get some spikes with a strong southerly wind bringing up some warmer temps for a day or two temporarily.

Summer, well it is hot, it is summer, its supposed to be hot. Again like Observer said, it is South Florida hot, but sometimes those west winds downsloping off the mtns can bake the piedmont area, especially down in the sandhill region which usually is the hotter temps in the state. The area does get the pop up afternoon T-storms like FLA does but not as extreme, though lately with a upper level low swirling through we have had quite a few hail storms here. But in the summer use the AC or jump in a lake or pool and you'll will be good.

Good luck on the move and to the Triangle region

Old 05-10-2016, 03:53 PM

Thank you all for replying.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:03 PM

610 posts, read 746,295 times
Can't comment on the traffic other than to say people are more polite - they'll let you into a lane.

Weather? Summer = June through mid-September. Although temps can be higher, doesn't seem quite as hot here, plus it's not every single one of those days.

Fall = great. Spring = great minus the yellow plague of pine pollen in April. Winter = mild (< 6" of snow. Some ice storms. Not frigidly cold).

I lived in FLL for 30+ years and have been here for 3. LOVE it here. People here are friendly - in the stores, in the restaurants and the atmosphere is just better than FLL.

The biggest fault here is that they are overbuilding. I suspect in 5 years this might not be such a great place due to that. Too many coming in and the infrastructure can't handle it. There are road issues at time and out west here, some schools are capped, because like in S. Florida, they build like crazy with no thought to the impact on schools.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:33 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,251,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
Can't comment on the traffic other than to say people are more polite - they'll let you into a lane.

Weather? Summer = June through mid-September. Although temps can be higher, doesn't seem quite as hot here, plus it's not every single one of those days.

Fall = great. Spring = great minus the yellow plague of pine pollen in April. Winter = mild (< 6" of snow. Some ice storms. Not frigidly cold).

I lived in FLL for 30+ years and have been here for 3. LOVE it here. People here are friendly - in the stores, in the restaurants and the atmosphere is just better than FLL.

The biggest fault here is that they are overbuilding. I suspect in 5 years this might not be such a great place due to that. Too many coming in and the infrastructure can't handle it. There are road issues at time and out west here, some schools are capped, because like in S. Florida, they build like crazy with no thought to the impact on schools.
Good post, and many valid points.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:03 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
The weather that Raleigh is currently enjoying would NEVER EVER happen in South Florida in May. Days in the low 70s with overnight lows in the high 50s to low 60s would be on the cooler side of January days in SE Florida.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:12 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
It has been stunningly gorgeous out...70s all week. Love it. Reading on the outdoor patio of a coffeeshop, can't beat it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary