Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:09 PM

94 posts, read 315,394 times

Advertisements

We will be moving from Cali to Raleigh. This seems the most cose effective and easy way to move. Have any of you used either of these companies? Were there any hidden costs? Were they right on time? How did you like their customer service? Why is ABF so much cheaper? Pods Quoted us about $5,500. ABS Quoted $3,200 for the similar square footage of storage. Which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance to you very helpful City Data peep's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 12:18 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyns.Nest View Post
We will be moving from Cali to Raleigh. This seems the most cose effective and easy way to move. Have any of you used either of these companies? Were there any hidden costs? Were they right on time? How did you like their customer service? Why is ABF so much cheaper? Pods Quoted us about $5,500. ABS Quoted $3,200 for the similar square footage of storage. Which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance to you very helpful City Data peep's!
We moved from Portland to Durham this past summer and used Allied. (We packed boxes, they put the stuff on the truck, drove, and brought the stuff into the house. We are a family of four, had a 3600 sq ft house but pared down a lot. Our quote was about a grand more than your Pod quote. So to me $5.5K for a POD seems like a lot of money.

I had read that some people who used the PODs for long distance moves had moisture issues, related to the plastic the PODs are made of and humidty. They did not wrap their soft furniture and some of it stained. Allied wrapped all our furniture for us.

FWIW, when we drove across the country this summer we saw A LOT of ABF trucks but very few POD trucks doing the cross country thing.

Good luck with the move and check out Craigslist for free boxes and packing paper!

Old 02-14-2008, 12:35 PM

64 posts, read 443,222 times
I have used ABF U-Pack twice now, and they were great. The delivery of the "box" was on time, and it was picked up when we asked. We were able to track it across the country (from San Diego to Raleigh) and it arrived on time. The initial quote was exactly what we paid, and if you need to call them, they are easy to get a hold of and very helpful. The space is a bit smaller than the PODS, but if you aren't moving large furniture...it's a great way to move everything.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:46 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times
Can a website for these ABF people (whatever they are) be posted? I'm trying to research options. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2008, 03:10 PM

94 posts, read 315,394 times
Just Google ABF U-Pack. I't will come up
I tried to paste a link. Couldn't...Sorry.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:18 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,719,746 times
we used ABF when we moved from CA and we very pleased - no hidden costs. . .everything arrived in good condtion . .on time...no complaints here

Old 02-14-2008, 07:53 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
Can you fit regular items, like a sofa, small piano, ect. , into a Relocube? The price looks good-I got an online quote-but it said I'd need 4-6 of them. Can you fit actual furniture into them?

I priced out PODS and wow it got more expensive than my last check last year. I have used PODS locally and liked them, but the price difference between them and the rleocubes was a lot. I can't park the ABF trailer in my apt parking lot so that's out for me.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:13 PM

38 posts, read 145,444 times
Default PODS or ABF U-Pack?

We recently relocated from Sacramento, CA and used ABF U-pack and had no problems... If you use ABF U-Pack your responsible for packing it (or, in the alternative have someone do it for you). Either way, make sure you pack it in like sardines. Why you ask? Your responsible for your own household goods.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:00 PM

850 posts, read 3,624,898 times
We used PODS and were very happy with them. We had our home put into storage in NJ at $100/month. Then after a few months of job hunting in a furnished rental, we had the POD shipped to Raleigh where it stayed until we found our house. Even with the various moving around, it all went very smoothly without any additional costs than were originally quoted to me.

Not sure why they are so expensive now.....we paid a total of about $1400, not including the month to month storage fee. Maybe their prices have gone up? They're not the only game in town now.

Another thing, we used a company called "Moving Labor Brokers" to help load/unload hte heavy stuff from the POD. It costs $270 for 2 guys for 4 hours and then if you need extra hours its about $40/hr, if I remember right. They too were professional, courteous and good with our furniture.

One more tip on using any sort of POD storage....put all your clothing and linens in garbage bags! Sounds awful but I had all our stuff packed in those blue plastic tubs and we had the POD halfway packed when we realized we weren't going to fit everything in. I took all the clothing out of the bins and put in the bags and it gaves us back half the room and enabled us to stuff the bags into cracks/crevices for more secure storage.

Lauren

Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 PM

43 posts, read 58,263 times
I used ABF U Pack to move to Seattle from Atlanta in 2004, and I'm using them again to move from Seattle to Durham in two weeks! I don't have PODS experience to compare them to. But, for me the ABF system works as a great "in between." I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy to save money. But, I'd rather not have to drive anything across the country. I had a solid experience with ABF in being relatively affordable, professional to deal with, and reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary