Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 07:38 AM

605 posts, read 798,380 times

Advertisements

According to her tour's official Twitter feed, neither the city nor Carter-Finley were prepared for an event of this magnitude: http://https://twitter.com/Formation...43494010576896

As you're probably aware, traffic on I-40 was at a stand-still well past 10 pm (the show began at 7:30 - thousands missed the event entirely), and while the show was "suspended" due to thunder and lightening, volunteers at Carter-Finley told patrons that the show was canceled, so thousands went home (this was at around 10:30 - Beyoncé was back on stage an hour later).

I'm wondering if she shouldn't have had her NC show at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte? What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 08:10 AM

3,367 posts, read 7,727,173 times
The city has apparently learned nothing from earlier mistakes...I remember how incredibly bad I-40 was for the U2 show awhile back. If the stadium can handle a sold out football game at noon (where people are arriving much closer to gametime than a later game), it should be able to handle a concert that holds less people. With football, people have parking passes and go straight in to their parking spots. I wonder if the taking of money at the gates is a big part of the problem here? Perhaps they should sell parking passes or incorporate parking into the ticket prices.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:14 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,199,071 times
It was the same BS with the Rolling Stones. They were making people stop and pay for parking on the way in. It's a hug bottleneck. Just add a parking charge to the tickets.

It took us about 1.5 hours to get in and about 15 mins to get out. Snarling traffic like that is unnecessary and puts lives at risk.

I'm never going to another Carter-Finley concert unless they clean up their act.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
It was the same BS with the Rolling Stones. They were making people stop and pay for parking on the way in. It's a hug bottleneck. Just add a parking charge to the tickets.

It took us about 1.5 hours to get in and about 15 mins to get out. Snarling traffic like that is unnecessary and puts lives at risk.

I'm never going to another Carter-Finley concert unless they clean up their act.
How mad would you be if they had told you that the event was canceled, only to find out once you got home that that wasn't true?

Old 05-09-2016, 08:41 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,199,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
How mad would you be if they had told you that the event was canceled, only to find out once you got home that that wasn't true?
Pretty mad, yea there is no excuse for that. I also heard about them parading people back and forth to PNC Arena and the practice barn. I don't know wtf they are thinking. What if it started hailing golf ball size hail with people stuck between the buildings with no cover?

Old 05-09-2016, 09:17 AM

9,122 posts, read 14,662,577 times
I've read that her tour ha shad multiple issues at multiple stops but it does seem like the problems here were issues with the event staff and of course the weather. Why they can't figure out how to get traffic in there I will never know. It's definitely worse for a weekday night because people aren't arriving as gradually and spread out, but man, that was nuts reading about all those people stranded.

As far as the show being cancelled or not, I've learned not to trust the random event staff people for stuff like this. Things happen too fast, they don't all have radios and people will just make stuff up or pass on random stuff they've heard so it's just not reliable. We went to a show in Bristow Va a couple years ago and there were some storms moving through just before the show was supposed to start, but the rain moved out and even though There was some lighting, it was moving out. So, we waited until it was safe judging by how long it had been since lighting had been see and headed in. At least two different event staff people told us as we were walking to the show that it was cancelled. Some people around is turned back (the parking is a long way from the amphitheater) and we went anyway show started like 5 minutes late.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:34 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,373,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
The city has apparently learned nothing from earlier mistakes...I remember how incredibly bad I-40 was for the U2 show awhile back. If the stadium can handle a sold out football game at noon (where people are arriving much closer to gametime than a later game), it should be able to handle a concert that holds less people. With football, people have parking passes and go straight in to their parking spots. I wonder if the taking of money at the gates is a big part of the problem here? Perhaps they should sell parking passes or incorporate parking into the ticket prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post

I agree that parking should be handled at the same time as tickets, bought at the same time and printed out and put on your dash. Not that difficult if you ask me.

I think one of the other problems (in addition to the parking and weather) is that the doors opened at 5:30pm - right when traffic is just about the worst it's going to be in the afternoon. So you've got the regular peak time backups plus everyone trying to get to the concert. I know it's a balance between the being able to end before the noise ordinance kicks in and having a concert of a "good" length, but maybe opening the gates an hour later (at 6:30pm) but still having the concert start at 7:30 or even 8 would help ease things some.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:19 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,976,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I think one of the other problems (in addition to the parking and weather) is that the doors opened at 5:30pm - right when traffic is just about the worst it's going to be in the afternoon. So you've got the regular peak time backups plus everyone trying to get to the concert. I know it's a balance between the being able to end before the noise ordinance kicks in and having a concert of a "good" length, but maybe opening the gates an hour later (at 6:30pm) but still having the concert start at 7:30 or even 8 would help ease things some.

Surely the opposite is a better solution?? Isn't everybody arriving at once the whole problem?

I arrived at Rolling Stones around 5PM, thinking it might take a while to get in. Zero traffic, I got from Cary to parking space at CF in about 25 minutes.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:20 AM

527 posts, read 684,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
They didn't though. They told us the event was suspended, but the evacuation was a sloppy mess. Everything took way too long.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
They didn't though. They told us the event was suspended, but the evacuation was a sloppy mess. Everything took way too long.
I was told that it was over for the evening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary