Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times

Advertisements

There are plenty of companies that don't engage in these practices, but you'll pay far more. If that's your thing, go for it, look for local and pop stores. I don't think you needed a forum to tell you this, I think you were just looking for a place to vent.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:16 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I just don't join. Saying "no thank you" really shouldn't be that big of a deal.
as if it's rocket science

Old 05-17-2016, 07:25 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr66 View Post
Because its all a scam. You aren't saving anything, in fact ultimately the cost of all these "clever" marketing plans is passed on to the consumer one way or another. You're just helping pay the salary of marketing people who sit around and think up ways to manipulate the consumer.

The only way to truly save money is to refuse to do business with these companies where possible, and vote with your wallet toward the companies that trim off all the fat and just offer the lowest possible price that doesn't insult you and the value of your time.
Aldi

Old 05-17-2016, 07:33 PM

56 posts, read 63,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Aldi
I actually thought about that one, they are a good example of the business model I'm after, but their selection leaves a lot to be desired. Every time I go in there I see rows of junk food, but nothing that entices me to replace my primary grocery store with them or even close. Maybe if will expand their horizons a bit?

Someone suggested Trader Joes, I think I need to find one and check it out. Publix too.

Isn't it interesting how the grocery stores mentioned that have the simplified business model are the top rated ones? Says a lot about what consumers really want.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:44 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
This thread is ummm.......interesting. I had no idea people were so passionately against some of the marketing tactics stores use. I personally don't care, I go where the prices are the cheapest and I can get the best customer service whether that's Harris Teeter or Trader Joe's. I personally have a Target Red Card which I love since Target has everything and I get 5% off every purchase. And I definitely don't get spammed by emails non-stop wherever I shop........I rarely even have to use the Unsubscribe button.

"You aren't saving anything, in fact ultimately the cost of all these "clever" marketing plans is passed on to the consumer one way or another. You're just helping pay the salary of marketing people who sit around and think up ways to manipulate the consumer."

You do save if you know how to play the game right back with them

Old 05-17-2016, 08:00 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
If you're getting spam from Harris Teeter, it's nobody's fault but your own. If it's that big of a deal, click the unsubscribe button in the next email, or click the spam icon that every email client has.

If you'd rather go way out of your way to go to Publix instead of clicking your mouse, go for it.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
This thread is ummm.......interesting. I had no idea people were so passionately against some of the marketing tactics stores use. I personally don't care, I go where the prices are the cheapest and I can get the best customer service whether that's Harris Teeter or Trader Joe's. I personally have a Target Red Card which I love since Target has everything and I get 5% off every purchase. And I definitely don't get spammed by emails non-stop wherever I shop........I rarely even have to use the Unsubscribe button.

"You aren't saving anything, in fact ultimately the cost of all these "clever" marketing plans is passed on to the consumer one way or another. You're just helping pay the salary of marketing people who sit around and think up ways to manipulate the consumer."

You do save if you know how to play the game right back with them
For the most part, I don't have too much of a problem with having a discount card for a neighborhood grocery store that I visit many times per week, because they don't constantly have people trying to up-sell something -- which I assume is similar to your Target scenario (not sure because I don't go there often).

But the bottom line is that when they make specific items cheaper for "members", just the labor involved in selecting those items, putting the little discount marker tag on them, etc. is ultimately passed on to their customers, one way or another. Then, they make more money by selling data about what you purchased to third parties (at least in the case of most of these places). They could simply lower the prices for everybody on all items, but they don't want to do that because it puts them in direct price-comparison with their competitors. They are hoping you will be some non-discounted items while you are there in your pursuit for discounted items. Every time you see a shiny marketing flyer with sales promotions, that is an expense to the company that must be passed along to the customer in some way.

One of the worst offenders is Harris Teeter and these targeted discounts they send out via e-mail. "We know you like these items that are on sale". They are on sale usually because either they have excess inventory, or they just know you haven't been in the store for a while so they are trying to get you back in so that you'll spend money on non-discounted stuff while pursuing the sales.

If you've never looked into the science behind retail (grocery being a good example), they actually employ teams of behavioral psychologists to figure out how to arrange the display so that in order to get to the cheap items you really need, you have to walk by lots of "tempting" up sell items. If they weren't paying people to help manipulate the consumer, they could get by with less profits and simply pass on the savings to the consumer.

I do realize I'm a little biased because in my line of work I have seen how some of these "systems" work, and believe me it's not pretty. It's such a shame to watch people become sheep that just buy into it all, but hey if that makes them happy then that's fine.

But, I reserve the right to seek out companies that don't do this, and just offer products at a fair price and keep things simple. I know I'm going to have to defend that right with a forum audience like this one, but that's ok.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
If you're getting spam from Harris Teeter, it's nobody's fault but your own. If it's that big of a deal, click the unsubscribe button in the next email, or click the spam icon that every email client has.

If you'd rather go way out of your way to go to Publix instead of clicking your mouse, go for it.
The whole disconnect about spam was covered in an earlier message.

And as far as HT, their non-discounted prices are generally pretty ridiculous compared to competition.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:08 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpr66 View Post
For the most part, I don't have too much of a problem with having a discount card for a neighborhood grocery store that I visit many times per week, because they don't constantly have people trying to up-sell something -- which I assume is similar to your Target scenario (not sure because I don't go there often).

But the bottom line is that when they make specific items cheaper for "members", just the labor involved in selecting those items, putting the little discount marker tag on them, etc. is ultimately passed on to their customers, one way or another. Then, they make more money by selling data about what you purchased to third parties (at least in the case of most of these places). They could simply lower the prices for everybody on all items, but they don't want to do that because it puts them in direct price-comparison with their competitors. They are hoping you will be some non-discounted items while you are there in your pursuit for discounted items. Every time you see a shiny marketing flyer with sales promotions, that is an expense to the company that must be passed along to the customer in some way.

One of the worst offenders is Harris Teeter and these targeted discounts they send out via e-mail. "We know you like these items that are on sale". They are on sale usually because either they have excess inventory, or they just know you haven't been in the store for a while so they are trying to get you back in so that you'll spend money on non-discounted stuff while pursuing the sales.

If you've never looked into the science behind retail (grocery being a good example), they actually employ teams of behavioral psychologists to figure out how to arrange the display so that in order to get to the cheap items you really need, you have to walk by lots of "tempting" up sell items. If they weren't paying people to help manipulate the consumer, they could get by with less profits and simply pass on the savings to the consumer.
Yes - for the average consumer the marketing tactics can be deceiving and you can spend more than you would otherwise BUT if you are a smart consumer, you will make a shopping list, stick to it, use cash if possible to control spending, use coupons, notice that deals are cyclical and buy enough to last you to the next cycle etc...., you can win out over these marketing tactics. Sure, you can be an average customer and go shop at Publix's or Trader Joe's (I shop at TJ's) OR you can be a smart customer and take advantage of the deals at Harris Teeter without giving in to what they want you to do. Obviously you prefer the former but I prefer the latter. I guess different preferences for different people. If you've never checked out the Southern Savers website, there are lots of great tips there for how to save money at different stores.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:33 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I've never gotten email from Harris Teeter. I didn't even know they did that. I do have a VIC card, too, and use it. Have had it for years and link it to the kids' school. When did you give them your email?

I shop with some regularity at HT, Target, Trader Joes, AC Moore, Rack Room, CVS and have never had any of them give me a heavy up sell at the cash register. I do get emails from CVS and Rack Room and Target, but they don't bother me, and I do use the coupons I get from CVS (at least the ones that are just $$ off my whole purchase).

I have had a salesguy get pushy about it at Kohls. Most of the time they don't bother me, but one guy in particular would not give it up. He must've needed another mark for his quota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: