Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:31 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagk View Post
Vicki thanks for the comment "about up to $500 in the more desirable areas". I did not see your comment before my last post. This is what they are thinking. That once they hit the $500 mark, not only will the inventory increase, but maybe the competition and time pressure won't be as fierce. They have a lot of equity from the sale of their house that they are planning to pour back in to a purchase, and no plans to leave the area. So it might work for them. I think they are just so done with renting at this point .

their agent can help them see what the deal is with higher priced homes in the location they seek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 03:27 PM

326 posts, read 385,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post

I see a big psychological barrier around the $500K mark with resales. That's also the point where less than 20% down puts you in a jumbo mortgage, and there is far less of the 80/10/10 or 80/15/5 product availability than before the last market drop.
I agree that things are slower in the $500K+ range. We spent the last few months looking in the $500-$600k range and there were only two or three houses that were under contract before we could go look at them. Several that I thought would sell quickly are still on the market 45+ days later.

The jumbo mortgage thing currently isn't a concern like it has been previously. We applied for a 30 year fixed jumbo loan 90% LTV and the rate was 1/8% LOWER than the 30 year fixed conventional product (and, FWIW, our PMI will be <$90/month). We looked at an 80/10/10 option but it couldn't hold a candle to what we got.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:34 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeru408 View Post
I agree that things are slower in the $500K+ range. We spent the last few months looking in the $500-$600k range and there were only two or three houses that were under contract before we could go look at them. Several that I thought would sell quickly are still on the market 45+ days later.

The jumbo mortgage thing currently isn't a concern like it has been previously. We applied for a 30 year fixed jumbo loan 90% LTV and the rate was 1/8% LOWER than the 30 year fixed conventional product (and, FWIW, our PMI will be <$90/month). We looked at an 80/10/10 option but it couldn't hold a candle to what we got.
Right.
JUMBO is a palatable loan currently.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:45 PM

Current Contingent and Pending resale homes in Areas 005, 010, 015, from $600,000--$800,000.
53 homes
Median DOM = 41.
Average DOM = 30.

Remove Area 15, and there is almost no impact.
Median DOM = 42.
Average DOM = 30.

So, it is a bit slower, but inventory is not languishing, either. I can remember agents bragging about selling homes in less than 90 days.
One should be ready to move if one sees a house they really like.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:28 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,848 times
Our market will shift at some point and my guess is the values will dip slightly. It's happened in other markets around the country and will happen to us too. Once inventory catches up demand will go down and dom will increase. This will cause sellers to have to reduce their price in order to sell. It will all balance out in the end, but people need to be careful when buying homes with issues that will hurt their resale. I see many homes that are selling quickly and for top dollar that have steep driveways, back up to roads, old mechanicals, etc.....

Old 05-18-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Our market will shift at some point and my guess is the values will dip slightly. It's happened in other markets around the country and will happen to us too. Once inventory catches up demand will go down and dom will increase. This will cause sellers to have to reduce their price in order to sell. It will all balance out in the end, but people need to be careful when buying homes with issues that will hurt their resale. I see many homes that are selling quickly and for top dollar that have steep driveways, back up to roads, old mechanicals, etc.....
Old mechanicals, I can understand.
They are fixable.
The others are not.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:53 PM

10 posts, read 12,635 times
Heck, half the driveways in Raleigh are up a steep hill. I always joke in every neighborhood you're either up a hill or down in a ditch depending on what side of the road you're on. Take your pick.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:56 PM

10 posts, read 12,635 times
I do agree the bigger issue is people buying what would previously be undesirable homes just because of desperation to get a house. I own a house in this market and it even makes me anxious because if I sell I don't want to spend 100k more than I would have 2 years ago.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:36 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighgal81 View Post
I do agree the bigger issue is people buying what would previously be undesirable homes just because of desperation to get a house. I own a house in this market and it even makes me anxious because if I sell I don't want to spend 100k more than I would have 2 years ago.
Yeah. I think the only "winners" in this current scenario are sellers who are relocating out of the Triangle area to somewhere with a less crazy real estate market; or those who are major "move up" buyers looking to sell their current home in one of the hot areas of the Triangle to buy one in the higher-end new construction market.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:13 AM

757 posts, read 2,083,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Yeah. I think the only "winners" in this current scenario are sellers who are relocating out of the Triangle area to somewhere with a less crazy real estate market; or those who are major "move up" buyers looking to sell their current home in one of the hot areas of the Triangle to buy one in the higher-end new construction market.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary