Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:01 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times

Advertisements

If you like gardens, I think on a nice day, you could easily spend 4 hours walking around and reflecting there. I'm not even really a "gardens" person but 4 hours is not a lot of time for a place like that, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 02:22 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
If you like gardens, I think on a nice day, you could easily spend 4 hours walking around and reflecting there. I'm not even really a "gardens" person but 4 hours is not a lot of time for a place like that, actually.
If my username doesn't out me, I'll just say that yes absolutely gardens are my thing!

I've spent 5 hours in a botanical garden before, but it was much larger. Although, this will be my first visit so I'll be taking my time. And taking photos too.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:07 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
You know what else - the NC Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill is also really lovely, and not *that* far away. You could maybe do both, but it would be tough to squeeze in lunch too

Old 05-19-2016, 07:03 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,274,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
You know what else - the NC Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill is also really lovely, and not *that* far away. You could maybe do both, but it would be tough to squeeze in lunch too
Looks like it's about 20-30 minutes depending on traffic.

My husband is trying to get another tee time at some point during the week so if he winds up going to Finley, that would be a good side trip for me too.

We are leaving tomorrow, I'm so excited.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:13 AM

259 posts, read 243,223 times
Look forward to hearing how your trip went.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:35 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Greenie, I'd recommend a plan B in case of rain.

But I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's unnecessary.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:54 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
It's a pretty easy 20-25 min from Duke to NCBG. The NCBG gardens are extensive with many miles of trails to walk, too. North Carolina Botanical Garden - Chapel Hill, NC . I'd highly recommend them. They are less formal than Sarah P Duke and more focused on the plants native to North Carolina, so the two complement each other nicely. Another nice place to go in Chapel Hill is the Arboretum on campus sort of catty corner behind the Morehead Planetarium. You can park on Franklin Street and walk to it easily. It's just a nice acre or two of various trees and shrubs and flowering things.

While you're in Durham you might also like to check out the American Tobacco Campus. It's a great place to grab a bite to eat amid beautiful surroundings of rehabbed warehouses and water features. It's under the Lucky Strike water tower, so you can't miss it.

If you like gardens and things you might also have fun at the North Carolina Museum of Life & Science in Durham (www.ncmls.org). It's a great place to take kids, but there is plenty for grown ups to enjoy there, too. The butterfly house is especially nice with a greenhouse full of tropical plants and butterflies.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:37 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
4 hours at Duke Gardens sounds like a bit much. 2 hours tops. Unless you plan on hanging out on one of the benches to break for a snack.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:16 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Been the Duke Gardens many times. It is very nice however, a few hours is enough for "most" people.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:11 PM

744 posts, read 1,262,921 times
Besides Duke Gardens and Nasher, the Washington Duke Inn where the golf course is, is a nice place as well. Sit out on the back patio area that looks out onto the course, sip on a drink while you read your book and wait for your husband to finish his round. They have tea service in the afternoon-- very posh. Afterwards, stroll west campus together and visit the chapel, which has reopened. If you and/or your husband are at all into sports, on the way to West campus, you should look visit Cameron Indoor. Will give you perspective the next time you see the Blue Devils play basketball on tv.

Hope your husband is good with approach shots. The greens are small, well guarded, and often elevated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary