Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 12:50 PM

332 posts, read 398,271 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am thinking about moving our family from Seattle area. I am trying to narrow down neighborhoods for research. We live in a pretty urban area with older homes currently. Are there any neighborhoods that my kids would be guaranteed to be accepted into a "good" high school but also where I am still within walking distance or limitied driving to local coffee shops, restaurants, etc. I think our budget would be around $500k. I am not looking for a fancy house in a trendy zipcode, just something nice with some character and friendly neighbors I can get to know a bit. Thanks.

Edit: I just wanted to add I am also less interested in a large lot. The less mowing and landscaping the better.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 05-19-2016 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 12:59 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
What part of the triangle are you considering? I like a lot of the neighborhoods zoned for Cary High, older but nicer homes, big lots, walk able to Downtown Cary (being revitalized) accessible to parks and greenways, and we've been pretty happy with Cary High.
You may like to look at Apex too and some really nice areas in central Raleigh, but I'm not as familiar with what those high schools are (probably Broughton?)
And Chapel Hill is a popular option for good high schools and walkable areas. Probably more similar in "vibe" to Seattle.
I like Durham as well but I'm not as familiar with the high schools.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:06 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Inside the Beltline Raleigh...
Cameron Village.
Cameron Park.
5 Points
Hayes Barton.
Several other areas.
Walking to Broughton HS, and plenty of other attractions and services.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
What part of the triangle are you considering? I like a lot of the neighborhoods zoned for Cary High, older but nicer homes, big lots, walk able to Downtown Cary (being revitalized) accessible to parks and greenways, and we've been pretty happy with Cary High.
You may like to look at Apex too and some really nice areas in central Raleigh, but I'm not as familiar with what those high schools are (probably Broughton?)
And Chapel Hill is a popular option for good high schools and walkable areas. Probably more similar in "vibe" to Seattle.

Yes. Greenwood Forest, etc.
Coronado Village.
Irongate.
A few others.
Walk to Cary HS and plenty of shops and services, and DT Cary.
Mostly lower price ranges than ITB Raleigh, too.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. I have been looking at Chapel Hill for starters. I want to plan a trip to visit this summer to get a lay of the land though. We are probably not going to move until next summer at the earliest so really trying to narrow down neighborhoods right now that I can read about online and learn about the schools. Thanks again!

Old 05-19-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Inside the Beltline Raleigh...
Cameron Village.
Cameron Park.
5 Points
Hayes Barton.
Several other areas.
Walking to Broughton HS, and plenty of other attractions and services.
Thank you Mike.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:32 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Broughton doesn't have a good GreatSchools rating but from other metrics and reading stuff about it, it appears to be a solid high school and all the neighborhoods around there are very walkable.

Side Note: It probably has some lower rankings because the school assignment areas include some neighborhoods east of downtown and southeast Raleigh that traditionally aren't the greatest areas while the schools in Cary don't draw from these neighborhoods. Just my assumptions though.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Broughton doesn't have a good GreatSchools rating but from other metrics and reading stuff about it, it appears to be a solid high school and all the neighborhoods around there are very walkable.

Side Note: It probably has some lower rankings because the school assignment areas include some neighborhoods east of downtown and southeast Raleigh that traditionally aren't the greatest areas while the schools in Cary don't draw from these neighborhoods. Just my assumptions though.
Broughton has a Very loyal and supportive community, and many people find it very desirable. I know very driven, accomplished people who plan and hope to have the kids go to Broughton.
Just probably one of those circumstances where the numbers don't tell the whole story, as you imply.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:01 PM

6,654 posts, read 5,590,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Broughton has a Very loyal and supportive community, and many people find it very desirable. I know very driven, accomplished people who plan and hope to have the kids go to Broughton.
Just probably one of those circumstances where the numbers don't tell the whole story, as you imply.
The college readiness rating on the US News High School rankings is higher than some other schools like Apex High, Cary High or Leesville Road High. 42% of students took AP exams with an 80% pass rate. That's not a bad school at all IMO. And yeah I don't think the numbers tell the whole story - 51% of the school are minorities and 36% are economically disadvantaged. Compare that to Green Hope High (the top ranked Wake County high school) where 34% are minorities and 9% are economically disadvantaged.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Anywhere in Chapel Hill Carrboro City School district (Maps & Directions - Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools) will get you good schools.

Lots of walkable older neighborhoods, too. It's more expensive than some areas, but you should be able to do fine on that budget.

You can look up school info on the state's Report Card website: NC School Report Cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary