Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:24 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,515 times

Advertisements

Back in March I got a ticket for my registration being out. I was driving my husbands car and while we intended to get everything squared away soon, I got a ticket before we could do so.

Since then, we've gotten the car inspected, paid the registration and tag fees so everything is ok there.

After we got the ticket, for some reason I had it in my head that my court date was tomorrow the 25th. I was planning on just going to court because I thought that way I might get out of paying the fees like you have to do when you handle the ticket online.

However, after looking it up to make sure I had all the correct info about what to do (which I should've done sooner, I know, I know) I find that my court date was not tomorrow, but in fact it was YESTERDAY and now I've missed my court date.

Any ideas on what I can do now? Should I call the clerk? Go down and try the self-service kiosk as they say on the website? Get a lawyer to help handle it?

I tried to look up my citation on the online epay system, but it's not coming up under the citation number I got when I searched by my name - I assume because my court date passed I can no longer pay it that way?

I feel like a huge idiot for getting myself in this situation and now want to handle as soon as possible. Before I was trying to save some cash by actually going to court, but now I just want to get it settled asap so I don't have other problems!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 AM

360 posts, read 721,267 times
I would contact the court clerk ASAP. According to NC courts.org, you can face addional fines, revoking of your license and even orders for your arrest.

AOC FAQ

Old 05-24-2016, 09:36 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
I would still go down to the court house and explain the situation. After the lower cost of living, the slower pace and simple/free access to waste disposal services, dealing with license related issues is my next favorite thing about living down here. They have been reasonable to the point where I tend to giggle on my way out thinking about how lucky I am to not be up north any more.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:59 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
Just definitely call them or better yet, go down there and talk to someone at the counter ASAP. when I was younger, 25 years ago, I couldn't afford to pay a speeding ticket until the after the court date. I went down and told them and they said come pay as soon as you can so they don't issue a citation, but that it usually took at least 2-3 weeks before this would happen. When I had a background check done for Global Entry last year, the guy asked me about my "failure to appear" which has never come up before in a dozen checks I have had over the years, so even if it's deep somewhere, it's possible it can stay with you. I may have waited too long or something, it's been so long I can't remember.

Last edited by Sherifftruman; 05-24-2016 at 11:23 AM..

Old 05-24-2016, 11:07 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
You should have up to 20 days after the court date to pay it off. Online too...Idk why it wouldn't be showing up on the online system. Mine did 15 days past the court date. In Cumberland County if you missed, you could show up the following morning on time and sand in the line for people who missed their date the day before. Ido if they do that here? Prolly not, it's a lot more crowded here.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:46 AM

54 posts, read 49,907 times
Definitely take care of it ASAP. A friend missed his court date for a speeding ticket and was arrested (they came to his house, mug shot, needed to be bailed out etc).

Old 05-24-2016, 12:32 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Go to the courthouse tomorrow and talk to the DA. It happens all the time. Trust me.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:33 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,515 times
Thanks for all the advice and input everyone, I'm just going to go down there tomorrow morning first thing and see what I can do.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,266 times
Go to the clerk of court, there is a form you can fill out which is a request for a new court date because you missed the last one. They will mail you a decision (new date or surrender at the police dept) within 7 days.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:28 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,380 times
Yes, no big deal. Rare occurrence where the system is set up to actually be realistically lenient vs trying to gouge you. As long as you go (can call too depending on the municipality) within a defined period of time you can reschedule, no issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary