Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 02:00 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
"Some sections of the existing highway were already built to interstate standards and could be signed quickly. Others will get the signage as work is completed to change the highway to those standards over the next two decades."

Wow.
Progress is slow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 03:01 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Upgrading US-17 is what will take the longest, due to the work needed and the fact that it hasn’t scored well. The upgrade of US-17 between Elizabeth City and the VA state line was removed in the latest draft STIP.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:31 AM

872 posts, read 1,015,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Upgrading US-17 is what will take the longest, due to the work needed and the fact that it hasn’t scored well. The upgrade of US-17 between Elizabeth City and the VA state line was removed in the latest draft STIP.

Just curious, LM117, do you know what's the status of widening US-17 to four lanes from South Carolina to Virginia, apart from what you've mentioned here?

Old 05-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Just curious, LM117, do you know what's the status of widening US-17 to four lanes from South Carolina to Virginia, apart from what you've mentioned here?
There are only two sections of US-17 that are still 2 lanes. The first is between just south of Williamston and NC-171 north of Washington. The second is between just south of Chocowinity and Bridgeton. I’m not sure of the timetable on those, other than they’ll eventually be widened. IIRC, public meeting was held a year ago to discuss the first stretch I just mentioned, but I don’t know anything more than that.

The remainder of the New Bern Bypass, that has yet to be built, will take care of part of the second 2-lane stretch. I believe the bypass is supposed to connect with the existing US-17 somewhere near Vanceboro. I’m afraid I don’t know the timetable for that one, either. However, I do know that the current widening project between just south of New Bern and NC-58 in Pollocksville should be finished by November.

And here’s the page for the Hampstead Bypass near Wilmington: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-17...s/default.aspx

That’s all I know for now.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:07 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
The remainder of the New Bern Bypass, that has yet to be built, will take care of part of the second 2-lane stretch. I believe the bypass is supposed to connect with the existing US-17 somewhere near Vanceboro. I’m afraid I don’t know the timetable for that one, either.
It will be interesting to see what they will do just north of the US 17/US 70 (I-42) cloverleaf interchange, since there's a a quarry immediately just north of the interchange. Are they waiting for the quarry to shutdown?

I assume the quarry was there long before the interchange was put in, will they move the interchange to the left or the right, or build a huge bridge right over the top of the quarry? I guess once that part is completed the old US 17 through/around New Bern will become Business US 17?

Old 05-11-2019, 02:42 PM

872 posts, read 1,015,449 times
Quote:
There are only two sections of US-17 that are still 2 lanes. The first is between just south of Williamston and NC-171 north of Washington. The second is between just south of Chocowinity and Bridgeton. I’m not sure of the timetable on those, other than they’ll eventually be widened. IIRC, public meeting was held a year ago to discuss the first stretch I just mentioned, but I don’t know anything more than that.

The remainder of the New Bern Bypass, that has yet to be built, will take care of part of the second 2-lane stretch. I believe the bypass is supposed to connect with the existing US-17 somewhere near Vanceboro. I’m afraid I don’t know the timetable for that one, either. However, I do know that the current widening project between just south of New Bern and NC-58 in Pollocksville should be finished by November.

And here’s the page for the Hampstead Bypass near Wilmington: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-17...s/default.aspx

That’s all I know for now.

Excellent summation, sir. I can't increase your reputation right now, so consider this the next best thing instead, OK? Thanks!

Old 05-11-2019, 06:42 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
"Some sections of the existing highway were already built to interstate standards and could be signed quickly. Others will get the signage as work is completed to change the highway to those standards over the next two decades."

Wow.
It seems from the way the two paragraphs are written that the two decades timeframe is for the entire project all the way into Norfolk. Anyone know a timeline for a smaller portion, like just until it meets I-95?

Old 05-12-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It will be interesting to see what they will do just north of the US 17/US 70 (I-42) cloverleaf interchange, since there's a a quarry immediately just north of the interchange. Are they waiting for the quarry to shutdown?

I assume the quarry was there long before the interchange was put in, will they move the interchange to the left or the right, or build a huge bridge right over the top of the quarry? I guess once that part is completed the old US 17 through/around New Bern will become Business US 17?
Yeah, I’m pretty sure the quarry was already there when that interchange was built, which makes me wonder why it was built there to begin with. Gonna be interesting to see how that plays out. I also think you’re right that the current US-17 between James City and Vanceboro will become US-17 Business. The current US-17 Business will probably be extended to James City by overlapping it on US-70. That’s my guess, anyway. NCDOT hasn’t said anything about it, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Excellent summation, sir. I can't increase your reputation right now, so consider this the next best thing instead, OK? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
It seems from the way the two paragraphs are written that the two decades timeframe is for the entire project all the way into Norfolk. Anyone know a timeline for a smaller portion, like just until it meets I-95?
There are only two projects west of I-95 listed in the draft 2020-2029 STIP. The first is widening US-64/264 to 6 lanes between the Knightdale Bypass and the 64/264 split in Zebulon. That will bring that section up to interstate standards. Construction to start in 2026.

The other is converting the Smithfield Road interchange in Knightdale to a Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI). Construction on that is also scheduled for 2026.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/p...y-Projects.pdf

Last edited by LM117; 05-12-2019 at 04:12 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 06:23 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,896,154 times
That's helpful. Thanks. So it sounds like no one needs to hold their breath on this.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:50 PM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
Quote:
... The first is widening US-64/264 to 6 lanes between the Knightdale Bypass and the 64/264 split in Zebulon. That will bring that section up to interstate standards. Construction to start in 2026.
So that would leave a gap between the 64/264 split and the east side of Rocky Mount that's non-compliant. The segment between I-95 and east Rocky Mount is probably closer to compliance because it was built later than the segment between the 64/264 split and I-95. East of east Rocky Mount, you'd think we are close to compliant if not compliant already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary