Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 03:17 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to feel better about paying for television:

House pmt $0
Car pmt $0
Cable/tv/phone $120
Cell phone $65

Doesn't seem too bad if I think about it like that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 08:45 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,502,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Legally or illegally?
Illegal. I have about 500 movies on my external hard drive. As for the legality, if you get caught pirating TWC or your ISP will mail you letters saying stop that. TWC gives 6 or 7 warnings. Then all they do is drop you as a customer. It's easy to avoid detection anyway. One gets in more trouble for going 65mph in a 55 zone.

Old 05-27-2016, 08:52 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Illegal. I have about 500 movies on my external hard drive. As for the legality, if you get caught pirating TWC or your ISP will mail you letters saying stop that. TWC gives 6 or 7 warnings. Then all they do is drop you as a customer. It's easy to avoid detection anyway. One gets in more trouble for going 65mph in a 55 zone.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm only interested in legal options.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:03 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times
As an American who has lived overseas for many years, when I'm back in the US and find myself in front of a TV, it is a stark reminder of how much TV is programming people in various ways - culturaly, de-sensitiving, the sensationalizing of things not so sensational, violence, bad food, drug ads (that other countries do not have), etc.

It amazes me that people have time for things like Kardashians and celebrities's lives and tacky reality shows, by choice.

I don't like the de-sensitizing of values with increasing levels of profanity, violence and sexuality on regular TV, though I staunchly defend our right to access these things by choice, not by having them rammed down our throats. Some of this I realized watching "Orange Is the New Black", which like a lot of media, news, and websites, has an agenda, and I avoid these as much as possible though it's kind of impossible to do completely.

Plus, all that noise between shows, the interruptions, ads for upcoming shows for which I have no interest, the annoying compression of these and commercials, the dumb-down-ness of it all, it's all too much once you've separated yourself from it. For me it is unwatchable and a complete waste of one's time. Even news, with the witless and often biased commentary, much of it I disagree with, that surround the actual coverage.

Where I currently live the TV and even DVD stores are so controlled in a 'freedom of choice" fallacy that is so ridiculous, for an American, that I never, for all the years living here, subscribed to local TV.

I have a media player for things I download and Netflix for the rest, and if I want a movie, there are various ways to access these. The time and peace I have gained in the process is invaluable.

Reading this forum is good as I will soon be moving to the area and want to maintain my freedom of media intrusion and mental programming.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:09 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
How much are your car payment(s)? Mortgage? Cell phone? I'm all for saving money but it's funny how people pick on the cable bill when they have these other massive debts.

It's really a matter of preference, but we don't generally watch anything but news, sports, and trash TV that generally isn't available on Netflix, Hulu, etc.

What we did do was lower cell bill by about 100/mo switching to Ting from Verizon, and get the exact same service we got from Verizon. Only difference is we don't get the latest and greatest phone, which isn't an issue for us. I'll buy used phones one or two generations back. For example we just ordered Galaxy S5's (upgrading from S3's).
To answer the questions directly...

No car payment.
No credit cards.
Not the latest phones.
Only a mortgage on a 1300 sq ft ranch in beautiful Garner.
52" TV with full 4k HD and surround sound via Roku. Costs $25/month.
No other debts. Nadda. None. Zero. Zippo.

Yes, it has everything to do with what you want to spend your money on. That goes for cable/satellite. Paying full price for 10-20% of the watched service makes absolutely no sense. Who pays full price for something they only use 20% of? Money saved by not buying cable? $93,000!!! ($200/mo*20 years @ 8% returns). So yeah, it matters.

Last edited by 2Loud; 05-31-2016 at 05:22 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 07:02 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Same here.
Zero debt except for my mortgage.
For me, I simply wasn't watching enough TV to justify needing cable or satellite TV and paying the price to have it. It was a simple cost/benefit analysis. I watch several network shows and those are available OTA for free. Other content I acquire through other means, but not through a cable or satellite provider.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,592,274 times
I got a TCL Roku TV this weekend - it was on sale at Target. It's a TV that has the Roku interface built into it. It'll help with my "cord cutting mania"

Old 06-02-2016, 10:53 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
This is happening all over. I don't have cable. What for? I can even live stream sports on my computer.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:41 AM

634 posts, read 913,303 times
Any thoughts how / if ATSC 3.0 fits into the cut equation?

some ATSC 3.0 related info here:

WRAL Launches ATSC 3.0

Last edited by ncdust; 06-30-2016 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: added reference URL

Old 06-30-2016, 04:13 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,584,994 times
I tried doing an OTA amplified antenna, I can't get any stations. So it's not worth it to me to cancel cable at this point in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary