Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 11:51 AM

91 posts, read 78,692 times

Advertisements

Hello, so we recently met with high school counselor for designing the courses for my child can take next year as 9th grader. When asking why he can not take few AP courses which is based on his knowledge, I was told that AP courses are not recommended for 9th grade. Oh well, I just have to let my child continues to study without the support from school. I do have a question and hope that you can recommend. We wander if it is worthy to take as many honor classes as possible while in 9th grade, and start to apply for some AP courses at 10th grade, then apply for IB program at junior year. Or save some easy honor classes for junior and senior yeas? what is the mot affective way so that you can take many advanced courses in order to get credited when applying for college? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 11:58 AM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
I wouldn't take AP classes as a 9th grader........as someone who took numerous AP classes over high school, I wouldn't wish it on someone just starting high school. Take all the honors classes you want freshman year and then if that is too easy for him and he wants the challenge, then consider an AP class 9th grade. Nobody in the college admissions process expects a 9th grader to be taking AP class.

Side note: AP classes were nothing like college classes. It's a joke that they're supposed to prepare you for college classes (though the content was similar)

Old 06-01-2016, 01:28 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I wouldn't take AP classes as a 9th grader........as someone who took numerous AP classes over high school, I wouldn't wish it on someone just starting high school. Take all the honors classes you want freshman year and then if that is too easy for him and he wants the challenge, then consider an AP class 9th grade. Nobody in the college admissions process expects a 9th grader to be taking AP class.

Side note: AP classes were nothing like college classes. It's a joke that they're supposed to prepare you for college classes (though the content was similar)
I had this same experience. The math and science ones we covered largely the same material as was covered in a college class, there was just much more reinforcement in the AP class, where you would spend 2-3 days on a topic you spent 50 minutes on in college. Those extra homework problems and time spent in class helped drill the concepts into my head better. Not sure how it works now where the AP class is only a semester long with block scheduling - probably more like college is today.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:12 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1970 View Post
I was told that AP courses are not recommended for 9th grade.
Don't tell that to BASIS schools, you can take AP courses starting in 8th grade! They require their students to take 6 AP exams by the time they graduate, most students take 10 though. I have two second cousins that go to one of their schools in Tucson, Arizona. Looks like BASIS would be ideal for your child, except the closest one to the Triangle is in Washington D.C.

Six Lessons We Learned From Spending Two Days with BASIS Students

High Scores at BASIS Charter Schools

BASIS Washington D.C.

BASIS.ed Grades 8-12 program, is widely recognized as one of the most academically advanced high school programs in the world. Our graduates are routinely accepted to top universities around the world, from Harvard and Stanford to the University of Oxford. Our graduates are distinguished individuals who will have gone through a world-class college preparatory course of study including a full year of economics in grade 8, a plethora of AP course options, electives, and in-depth college counseling experience which prepares them to excel in college and beyond. The School Program challenges students to reach the highest international benchmarks and holds students accountable for mastering subject material. The acceleration of the curriculum allows BASIS.ed students the option of graduating after 11th grade; however, most students choose to continue their studies in 12th grade so they can participate in two profoundly influential aspects of the BASIS.ed program: Senior Projects & Capstone Courses.

Last edited by cjseliga; 06-01-2016 at 02:32 PM..

Old 06-01-2016, 02:32 PM

6,653 posts, read 5,588,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I had this same experience. The math and science ones we covered largely the same material as was covered in a college class, there was just much more reinforcement in the AP class, where you would spend 2-3 days on a topic you spent 50 minutes on in college. Those extra homework problems and time spent in class helped drill the concepts into my head better. Not sure how it works now where the AP class is only a semester long with block scheduling - probably more like college is today.
It seemed as in high school, the teachers didn't want students in the AP classes to "slack" or fall behind so like you said, there was more reinforcement and more homework than in college classes where it was just expected that you would read the assigned reading, do the assignments (which were pretty minimal) and if you still didn't understand, you would do work on your own or seek help to clarify a topic. A lot more personal responsibility with college classes to learn than a bunch of required assignments due each class.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:17 PM

90 posts, read 89,851 times
Really, 9th graders are chomping at the bit to take AP courses? How depressing. They have the rest of their lives to be overwhelmed and overworked.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:21 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
sounds like an example of that "grade point pressure" we hear about.

My straight-A child, nor her similar friends (some of whom actually made a B on the old scale!!1!!!!!), are even thinking of AP classes in 9th grade, nor are their college-degreed parents.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:07 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoncat View Post
Really, 9th graders are chomping at the bit to take AP courses? How depressing. They have the rest of their lives to be overwhelmed and overworked.
Actually, we don't have that piece of information. We only know what the parent wants.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:58 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1970 View Post
Hello, so we recently met with high school counselor for designing the courses for my child can take next year as 9th grader. When asking why he can not take few AP courses which is based on his knowledge, I was told that AP courses are not recommended for 9th grade. Oh well, I just have to let my child continues to study without the support from school. I do have a question and hope that you can recommend. We wander if it is worthy to take as many honor classes as possible while in 9th grade, and start to apply for some AP courses at 10th grade, then apply for IB program at junior year. Or save some easy honor classes for junior and senior yeas? what is the mot affective way so that you can take many advanced courses in order to get credited when applying for college? Thanks.
Ninth grade is a big transition from middle school. Socially and academically. That's why they don't recommend these courses for 9th graders. Do you really want your son to have to take classes with mostly 11th and 12th grade teens who already know the ropes of high school?

I dunno. I think the honors classes are good and if your child is as advanced as you have indicated, he will do very well and this will provide a GPA foundation that he can build on as he continues his education.

Just my opinion, mind you, as a parent with a 9th grader who took pretty much all honors classes this year at Green Hope.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:00 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Don't tell that to BASIS schools, you can take AP courses starting in 8th grade! They require their students to take 6 AP exams by the time they graduate, most students take 10 though. I have two second cousins that go to one of their schools in Tucson, Arizona. Looks like BASIS would be ideal for your child, except the closest one to the Triangle is in Washington D.C.

Six Lessons We Learned From Spending Two Days with BASIS Students

High Scores at BASIS Charter Schools

BASIS Washington D.C.

BASIS.ed Grades 8-12 program, is widely recognized as one of the most academically advanced high school programs in the world. Our graduates are routinely accepted to top universities around the world, from Harvard and Stanford to the University of Oxford. Our graduates are distinguished individuals who will have gone through a world-class college preparatory course of study including a full year of economics in grade 8, a plethora of AP course options, electives, and in-depth college counseling experience which prepares them to excel in college and beyond. The School Program challenges students to reach the highest international benchmarks and holds students accountable for mastering subject material. The acceleration of the curriculum allows BASIS.ed students the option of graduating after 11th grade; however, most students choose to continue their studies in 12th grade so they can participate in two profoundly influential aspects of the BASIS.ed program: Senior Projects & Capstone Courses.
I think that it's not the content, it's the overall school experience that makes them not recommended for 9th graders in traditional schools. I'm sure there are plenty of 9th graders who can HANDLE the content. BASIS schools are designed with this sort of progression in mind, so naturally they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary