Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 720 times

Advertisements

HELP HELP!!!! bugs eating my flowers my Cana Lilies, My Roses, My Trumpet flowers. Also the rabbits are eating my Asian Lilies and the deer are eating my Hosta's anything less then standing guard I feel wont do.Any ideas at all will be appreciated Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 07:34 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackkoko6 View Post
HELP HELP!!!! bugs eating my flowers my Cana Lilies, My Roses, My Trumpet flowers. Also the rabbits are eating my Asian Lilies and the deer are eating my Hosta's anything less then standing guard I feel wont do.Any ideas at all will be appreciated Thanks
I have success with this for rabbits (spray foliage only): Amazon.com : Rabbit & Groundhog Repellent: Rabbit Out 40oz Ready-To-Use : Rodent Repellents : Patio, Lawn & Garden

For slugs and snails, my best deterrent is pine needle mulch.

And you're on your own with the deer.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:27 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,311,491 times
For these reasons, central and Eastern NC just aren't flower country so to speak..

An insecticide for the bugs could work, there are homemade ones, natural ones as well. I used to use Sevin.

A Have-a-Hart trap can be used to capture the rabbits and the animal can disposed of in a manner your heart and conscious will alow.. Keep in mind their reproduction rate is exponential so don't feel too bad if one or two die in the process.

Deer are very persistent, for small saplings a six foot tomato cage is required to keep them off. For things like Hostas, you may want to try spreading urine around, it lasts for a little while. They also seem to avoid dogs.

If you live in a rural area you also have the option of shooting the varmint, although the laws may have changed regarding this practice... Good luck!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:32 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
I used to use Sevin.
I did as well until I learned how toxic it was to bees.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pestic...xicity_to_bees

Old 06-02-2016, 11:49 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
You might also consider the Garden forum for a wider audience.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:29 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,933,225 times
Spray with Sevin

Old 06-03-2016, 06:19 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,861 times
Sevin will work on the bugs - but it works on all bugs. It is pretty toxic stuff. I would use it only as a very last resort. Depending on what the bugs are, maybe neem oil. I've had good luck with that.

Rabbits & deer, there are some deer-be-gone & I Must Garden products out there. Some smell pretty awful so be careful what you get & where you use it.

I love hostas & couldn't stand the idea of not having them, so mine are fenced in a tiny garden all their own. It was the only way to keep the deer away. (I think "hosta" translates into "yummy deer salad" in some other language )

One thing I learned from a gardening class & from the woman who did our property plan is the idea of 3 Ps. (pungent, prickly & poison). So for example plant something prickly (maybe a rose bush) next to something the deer really like. Or mix very pungent herbs in with your regular flowers. That sometimes is enough to encourage the deer to move along elsewhere. If they are starving all bets are off, but most the time it will help.

One of our neighbors got a motion activated sprinkler. Any time something gets too close it goes off & squirts. (I actually make a point of triggering one some really hot days when I'm running ). It is enough to startle them off for a bit. And I know they move it around so the deer don't get used to it being in that one spot. They seem to have good luck using it.

Good luck.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:31 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,940,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimaCheryl View Post
Sevin will work on the bugs - but it works on all bugs. It is pretty toxic stuff. I would use it only as a very last resort. Depending on what the bugs are, maybe neem oil. I've had good luck with that.

I love hostas & couldn't stand the idea of not having them, so mine are fenced in a tiny garden all their own. It was the only way to keep the deer away.
Yes, Sevin is toxic to most insects but knowing when, where and how to use it properly can alleviate many concerns. Read the directions; don't apply to flowers, plants about to flower or when pollinators are around (evening is best); dispose of unused material properly (down the drain is not the proper way).

About hostas: slugs love them also and can be devastating.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:01 AM

121 posts, read 159,885 times
Use neem oil! It is organic (can be used on organic farming) insecticide, miticide, and fungicide. It is available in Lowes and HD. I sprayed Shop Garden Safe Neem Oil Extract Liquid Concentrate at Lowes.com, about 1cup in 1 gallon of water, for 1/week for 4-5 weeks for treatment. Do it in morning or evening (important). It works really well for mine.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:43 PM

339 posts, read 319,195 times
safer insecticidal soap for bugs and I've seen it actually work in my own garden...lifebuoy soap to keep deer at bay.
just put a hole in a bar and hang it close by or jab a stick through it and prop it up in your hosta area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary