Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 06:37 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,590,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbebo View Post
Hi

Pay isn't as great, but cost of living is less there is less, less traffic/big city issues, closer to my wife's family and has much better retirement benefits (pension and matching of the TRP?401k?).

Thoughts?
Having recently moved from Texas the only part of the COL that will be lower will be your auto insurance and electricity. The income tax with the addition of sales tax in NC will be greater than the property tax and sales tax in TX. Housing is definitely more expensive in the Triangle area.

The one thing that is great about NC is the plethora of outdoor activities all year long. And I can't forget how beautiful it is here!

Best of luck in your interview!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 08:01 AM

22,652 posts, read 36,657,128 times
JetBlue quick and easy (and often cheap) flights to the NYC from RDU. Also, the airport is super easy to get to from most places in the Triangle, as is navigating it once there.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:19 AM

3,639 posts, read 4,473,934 times
Well personally I choose raleigh...I had the option to move to Houston with my current company too, but I couldn't stand houston. That summer heat is no joke - 100 degrees + for days at a time with grueling humidity, a real lack of trees, a LOT of concrete, huge freeways lots of traffic...big city amenities and growing insanely quickly, though. Raleigh is cooler, green as hell, nicer highways, hilly, trees eery where, not nearly as crowded but still does have some decent city amenities for sure. The whole metro area - Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Chapel Hill and all their burbs make up roughly 2 million people - less than Houston city proper. Keep that in mind.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:39 AM

156 posts, read 181,501 times
Personally, I'd choose Raleigh over Houston as well. I like smaller cities. Luckily my wife basically open to anything as long as it provides better medical care than what we currently have, access to a bigger airport (Raleigh is larger than what we currently have, but not as large as Houston, but does provide direct flights to NYC which is a big plus for her).

Everyone's description of Raleigh likes more into what I'd like and it does fulfill what we are looking for.

Just hoping I get the opportunity to choose Raleigh over Houston.

Old 06-05-2016, 03:23 PM

1,836 posts, read 1,590,639 times
The other thing I forgot to mention is that it actually cools down at night in Raleigh. I can not tell you how nice it feels!!

Old 06-05-2016, 03:57 PM

156 posts, read 181,501 times
Yeah, in the desert it cools down a lot. Its nice. Wish it was like that during the day.

Old 06-05-2016, 04:59 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,760,148 times
Houston - no thanks. Simple.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:13 PM

530 posts, read 634,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbebo View Post

Pay isn't as great, but cost of living is less there is less

Thoughts?
The cost of living in Raleigh is considered basically the same as the cost of living in Houston, slightly more expensive even by some estimators. Just want to make sure you have your facts right, and you aren't expecting this area to be cheaper than it is.

I've lived in Houston. There are certain things I loved about it (the food scene! the fantastic cultural amenities), but the traffic is nightmare and climate is harsh as hell. Especially with wanting to be closer to the NE, I would definitely recommend giving Raleigh a strong look.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:08 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,864,460 times
Houston or Raleigh? LOL! No contest. RALEIGH!!!

Now if it was between Raleigh and Austin, that may very well be a different story.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:02 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,263,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
The cost of living in Raleigh is considered basically the same as the cost of living in Houston, slightly more expensive even by some estimators. Just want to make sure you have your facts right, and you aren't expecting this area to be cheaper than it is.

I've lived in Houston. There are certain things I loved about it (the food scene! the fantastic cultural amenities), but the traffic is nightmare and climate is harsh as hell. Especially with wanting to be closer to the NE, I would definitely recommend giving Raleigh a strong look.
My info is ONLY anecdotal, but I find this hard to believe. A house in a decent neighborhood in Houston has got to be more than a comparable ITB house in Raleigh, and where-as Raleigh has very few unsafe areas, Houston has some really rough areas.

Seems like you've done the homework, and know what you are talking about, but from my perspective, it seems hard to believe.

About the food scene: YES! Houston has great food. I visited there for 10+ years before I realized that they have more than Papadeaux and Papacitos (chains). I guess it's like Cary, for many it seems they only have chains, but I've had some of the best meals ever in Houston. I'm headed there again in a couple weeks, and stoked (only) about the food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary