Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:18 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times

Advertisements

2007 was almost a decade ago. Droughts happen occasionally, but we have not had a noteworthy one in a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 08:40 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
2007 was almost a decade ago. Droughts happen occasionally, but we have not had a noteworthy one in a while.
I guess a "while" is subjective. Also, that is not when the drought ended.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:09 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Just a few weeks ago WRAL was going on and on about the "severe risk of drought" we were into for 2016. The way they calculate these numbers is ridiculous, and I can assure you we are nowhere near drought levels right now, in central NC. We just had one of the wettest winters in recent years. But the numbers reset on January 1st....although the ground water and lake levels do not. But January through May in NC, has been anything but resembling of a drought.

Even several years ago when the lakes were "drying up", I had rain quite often at my house, and friends and coworkers who lived in southern Wake County went weeks without any. And let's not confuse "lakes drying up" with "lakes being drained". There's a huge difference.

The Triangle, and droughts seem to follow right along with an old tale about a boy who cried wolf. And the local sensationalism brokers don't help when they start slinging their nonsense about "severe risk of drought" talk when it's rained 3-4 days a week for months straight. People eventually laugh, and ignore it.
I remember WRAL showing a graphic that we were either in the abnormally dry or almost in the abnormally dry range (yellow on their map). It didn't align with what I was seeing locally, given the relative cool and wet start to the year.

I remember during one of the drought years, the propaganda had started because we were below normal rainfall the first 3 months of the year. But they failed to report that we had one of the wettest autumn's ever, so if you looked at the prior 12 months, we were actually comfortably above normal.

I believe the water management people learned their lesson after the 1st drought of the 00's as they became more conservative in draining the lakes during water shortages.

Last edited by cheapdad00; 06-07-2016 at 10:17 PM..

Old 06-08-2016, 05:58 AM

333 posts, read 286,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecomet View Post
Wow, thanks bluecomet! In the exactly one year I've lived here, the rainfall has been 38% higher than normal. I had the dog fence installed in October, and for a good percentage of the time since, the back yard has been a mudfield. The neighbors keep telling me that this isn't normal, and the data show that too.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:25 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
We're above normal in rainfall totals this year here in the Triangle, but in the mountains some areas there are in a moderate drought. If one of these tropical storms comes in and dumps a load they may recover quickly, but right now they're abnormally dry. You can check that out at the national weather service's drought monitoring website: Climate Prediction Center

The 2007 drought was bad. Jordan Lake was way down as were all the other lakes in the area. Here's an old thread from back in the day: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...tos-falls.html

Old 06-08-2016, 02:17 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
I think a lot of people who never spend time on Falls lake don't realize how shallow it is. Those photos taken in 2007, from Old Weaver Trail, are of some of the shallowest parts of the lake. And the tv crews always filmed the northwest portion of the lake during the 2007 drought. That part of the lake between Old Weaver and I-85 is very shallow, dangerously so for boats sometimes. Right now, the water is high, and it's not so bad. But there are places up on the NW end of the lake where it "looks" vast and deep, but in reality is only a few feet deep. Once you venture beyond the old creek/river channel, the water my only be 3-9' in a lot of places west of hwy 50.

I know it didn't seem to rain as much back during the 2007 drought, but a part of the problem back then can also be attributed to the Army Corpse of Engineers, who improperly controlled levels and drained too much water that spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary