Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 04:45 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,696,511 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone. I think we'll stay the night and enjoy it since it's our first trip to that part of the state. Now I just have to hope for good weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 09:28 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Important note: There are no public bathrooms inside the house! At least, none that I saw. If you decide halfway through the tour that you need to go to the bathroom, you'll have to find your way outside to the carriage house. Not terribly convenient. So make sure you go to the bathroom before you tour the house!
Really????? No potties?????

Old 02-16-2008, 09:32 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Really????? No potties?????
Well, there are TONS of little bathrooms in the house, but they're all blocked off by little velvet ropes: look, but don't use!

Note that this is what I was told by my dear mother. She had to use, umm, the facilities during the house tour. She was told that she'd have to go down to the ground floor, hand her audio tour thingamy to an employee, go out to the carraige house to go to the bathroom, then come back to the house, retrieve the audio tour, and try to find my dad again.

She chose to wait.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:39 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Well, there are TONS of little bathrooms in the house, but they're all blocked off by little velvet ropes: look, but don't use!

Note that this is what I was told by my dear mother. She had to use, umm, the facilities during the house tour. She was told that she'd have to go down to the ground floor, hand her audio tour thingamy to an employee, go out to the carraige house to go to the bathroom, then come back to the house, retrieve the audio tour, and try to find my dad again.

She chose to wait.
Wow!

Old 02-16-2008, 05:41 PM

I know I can make it through the house without needing to go to the bathroom, but this is good to know for my three and four year olds and my mom who never goes out without a 32 oz. cup of diet coke.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:21 PM

91 posts, read 309,111 times
Oh, but the drive is so worth it! Also visit the Grove Park Inn , stay there if you can, it has lots of character! The spring flowers may not be out when you are there but the hosue alone makes it worth it.
Biltmore is one of our NC treasures for sure, I grew up not far from there, and my parents never took us to visit!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:42 PM

87 posts, read 237,401 times
The Grove Park Inn, the oldest section of it would be a fitting overnight that your mother would appreciate and remember. Just a lovely vista and hotel.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NC View Post
The Grove Park Inn, the oldest section of it would be a fitting overnight that your mother would appreciate and remember. Just a lovely vista and hotel.
I checked but they didn't have availability. My mom would love it from what I could tell from their website. I'd definitely like to stop by and see what we're missing.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:55 PM

232 posts, read 728,581 times
The Grove Park Inn was great. We ate dinner there, and sat in the main lobby by the fireplaces, and also sat outside under the heat on the decks- Lovely place to visit
Nice spa

Old 03-05-2008, 07:01 PM

232 posts, read 728,581 times
PS. I taken the audio tour and the rooftop tour. We loved the audio tour. You can learn a bit more history of the house- more details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary