Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 04:08 PM

613 posts, read 745,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Commute from Wake Forest to RTP? No thanks. Personally I would be looking at Cary,Morrisville, or Apex now that they have the toll road.
He's right. Wake forest has had it's day. I have lived here for 12 years.Walkable? To your car. Now the traffic is awful. Spike in crime.The commute into Raleigh has gotten much worse this year. We loved it when we first moved here. Now we're looking to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 05:35 PM

3,948 posts, read 5,084,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_Danger View Post
He's right. Wake forest has had it's day. I have lived here for 12 years.Walkable? To your car. Now the traffic is awful. Spike in crime.The commute into Raleigh has gotten much worse this year. We loved it when we first moved here. Now we're looking to move.
Has there really been a spike in crime? How come I haven't heard about it?

I find WF to be very safe and great for young families or recent retirees. It's probably not a great place for singles, though.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:36 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,698,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post

I find WF to be very safe and great for young families or recent retirees. It's probably not a great place for singles, though.
It hasn't thst I've seen. ..and the commute times have been better since Falls of Neusse opened 2 years ago or so.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:13 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,926,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post

Spike in crime? Maybe in raw number of incidents, sure, but that should not be the metric used here given the increase in population. When more people live in an area of course you will have more incidents. But what is the incident number per capita? I don't know the numbers but too many people are too quick to say that there is a crime issue here. It is possible to have "more" crime but actually be safer if the crimes per 1,000 is lower.

100 crimes out of 10,000 people = 1.00% crime rate
150 crimes out of 20,000 people = 0.75% crime rate

You see?

We've been in Wake Forest for many years. Do I think the crime rate has increased or is crime a problem? Absolutely not. The biggest issues we have is the stupid teenager crimes like taking electronics from open cars or garages, etc.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:59 AM

342 posts, read 387,699 times
Totally disagree about the crime. There are car break ins occasionally, especially in the nicer neighborhoods, and they tend to go in spurts. The only other "crime" was the kidnapping this spring, but that was specifically targeted due to the victim's daughter's job and would have happened no matter where he lived.

I also don't have a big issue with traffic in Wake Forest and agree that it has gotten better in recent years because of alternate routes improving like Falls of the Neuse and 401. Yes, you should avoid capital blvd during peak times as well as Rogers road during school pickup/drop off.

I absolutely love Wake Forest and couldn't imagine living anywhere else. There is such a sense of community. The schools are great. There are beautiful greenways. Raleigh and Durham are very close for more shopping and events.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 AM

715 posts, read 887,937 times
Honestly I love WF and it has changed but not to the point I would not buy. Every since place in the area is changing not just WF as we grow so does traffic, loss of aesthetics, etc.,

Only item I would consider is where your job is in relation to the house.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:26 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,226,083 times
Love Wake Forest!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:31 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,223,917 times
If I had $1 for every client of mine that THINKS they want Cary and ends up in Wake Forest, I'd have plenty of dollars!!!

If I had $1 for every client of mine that THINKS they want Wake Forest and ends up in Cary, I'd have plenty of dollars!!!

My point is that you can and should gather information and opinions BUT until you see the area and until you see what YOU like and can afford, anyone that gives you an absolute answer, is giving you what you paid for!

Anyone that says one area is the best or one area is the worst, just isn't giving you any helpful information.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,232 times
Love this information. I've been in Minnesota all my life and, late last March, spent a week in the Triangle area to see if I'd like to live there. I drove thru Wake Forest a few times and had dinner at Back Fins. I loved the community, the homes, and general feel of the area. I left the Triangle knowing that I'll be putting my home up for sale in a year and heading that way, but I will definitely want to look into living in Wake Forest. I live in the suburbs of Minneapolis now and have a 40 min commute one way to work, so I'm used to that kind of thing.

I'm headed back to Raleigh for a long weekend in October to start checking out neighborhoods in Raleigh and surrounding areas, so the comments above are great to see.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,051 times
Distance and commute time is all relative in terms of what people can handle. Transplants who move here that are used to 1hr+ commutes will think Wake Forest commute is nothing in comparison. But some of us that have lived here awhile think 20 minute commutes are too much!

Maybe I am getting old or losing patience, but I don't like long commutes. When I get off work, I'd rather be home fast than sitting driving on the road or sitting in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary