Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 08:27 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,257,958 times

Advertisements

The next home I buy (and I'm not looking) will have a shower you can roll a wheelchair into AND a doorway wide enough for a wheelchair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 11:55 PM

610 posts, read 746,365 times
I'm in a townhouse with only a large shower. I hate it. I miss having a large comfy tub.

Next place we move, no tub in master bathroom = forget about it.

Most people prefer showers, but I always loved a hot bath.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:40 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
Our master bath is shower-only.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
If we did not have two large windows over the tub making the space useless for any other configuration then would get rid of that thing in a heartbeat and enlarge the shower.

We too have a tub in the hall bath that the kids use.
I would trade the tub in the master for more closet space. We hardly ever use it. My requirement would be for a slightly larger shower with a seating area, so I could wash my feet properly without risking a fall.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:14 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times
The house I grew up in (built in the 60s) has a master bath with no tub. I always found that strange.

I think it just depends on the house.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:40 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
This is the issue that builders face...

I agree with Red...over $500K and you should have a tub and a separate shower. NO jetted tub. Very few buyers want them anymore. If you don't use them frequently, dirt accumulates inside the jets and when you turn them on, the dirt filters out. Yuck.

The ISSUE is that some buyers DO want that tub and some do NOT.

I've often heard buyers say..."I won't buy a house without a tub in the master" but I've not had any buyers say..."I won't buy that house because it has a tub in the master".

Old 06-14-2016, 07:45 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

I agree with Red...over $500K and you should have a tub and a separate shower. NO jetted tub. Very few buyers want them anymore. If you don't use them frequently, dirt accumulates inside the jets and when you turn them on, the dirt filters out. Yuck.

I've often heard buyers say..."I won't buy a house without a tub in the master" but I've not had any buyers say..."I won't buy that house because it has a tub in the master".
Yup. We switch ours on just enough to keep any dirt from blowing out. You have to be committed to use a jetted tub, so I'd never put one in unless I knew I'd use it. I doubt anyone would summarily reject a house that had a nice, 2-person shower and a jetted tub, but I think that people who just want to have a place to take a tub bath now and then should do a nice, deep soaking tub.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:50 AM

430 posts, read 626,698 times
Just to give a lonely dissent, I wouldn't buy a house without a large tub in the master bathroom. Our family of 4 uses both the tub and the separate shower pretty much daily. The shower just doesn't do it for my sore muscles at the end of an active day.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:04 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

This is EXACTLY what I would have said. And that's the ONLY reason there is a tub in our master. We have never used it, nor did we use the tub in our prior two homes. The separate shower included a seat from the builder (which I've used much less than I expected.)

We did, however, pull out the tub/shower combo in the second bathroom and replace it with a shower. So that master tub is the only tub in the house and it was used when we did a home exchange with a family with young children.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 AM

333 posts, read 287,311 times
My house is as Jkgourmet describes -- the only tub is in the master bath, and the hall bath is a shower. When I bought the house I thought it was a bit odd...to me the bathtub is for children, and older people take showers. (Clearly from the comments that's not always the case!). I would have thought that if there was one tub only it would be in a bath the children used...

In any case when I renovate the master bathroom I'll just make a gorgeous shower and get rid of the tub. Wonder if that will reduce eventual resale if there's no tub at all, or if I'll then have to put one in the hall bath?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: