Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 09:55 AM

544 posts, read 849,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_Dent View Post
Just to give a lonely dissent, I wouldn't buy a house without a large tub in the master bathroom. Our family of 4 uses both the tub and the separate shower pretty much daily. The shower just doesn't do it for my sore muscles at the end of an active day.
Right there with ya. When I re-did the master bath, I made the stand-up shower wider and replaced the garden tub with a long soaking tub that actual adults can fit in. It gets used on a semi-regular basis.

When the kids were small it was much easier to bathe them in the larger master than in their narrow hall bathroom with the tub/shower combo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 10:17 AM

286 posts, read 747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
My house is as Jkgourmet describes -- the only tub is in the master bath, and the hall bath is a shower. When I bought the house I thought it was a bit odd...to me the bathtub is for children, and older people take showers. (Clearly from the comments that's not always the case!). I would have thought that if there was one tub only it would be in a bath the children used...

In any case when I renovate the master bathroom I'll just make a gorgeous shower and get rid of the tub. Wonder if that will reduce eventual resale if there's no tub at all, or if I'll then have to put one in the hall bath?

That is what I did 4 years ago. Renovated the master bath, got rid of the tub and made a nice big walk in shower. The guest bathroom has a shower/tub combo....which I guess I will keep when I remodel the guest bathroom. If not for resale value, I would but a walk in shower in the guest bathroom also.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:42 AM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
My house is as Jkgourmet describes -- the only tub is in the master bath, and the hall bath is a shower. When I bought the house I thought it was a bit odd...to me the bathtub is for children, and older people take showers. (Clearly from the comments that's not always the case!). I would have thought that if there was one tub only it would be in a bath the children used...

In any case when I renovate the master bathroom I'll just make a gorgeous shower and get rid of the tub. Wonder if that will reduce eventual resale if there's no tub at all, or if I'll then have to put one in the hall bath?
A house with NO tub? You're taking everyone with kids/ grandkids/thinking of ever having kids out of your potential buyer pool.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:44 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,132,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
A house with NO tub? You're taking everyone with kids/ grandkids/thinking of ever having kids out of your potential buyer pool.
Exactly!

Old 06-14-2016, 11:02 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,062,311 times
Quote:
I would never have a house with NO tub at all unless maybe it was a small 2b/2b retirement home in a 55+ area where the majority of buyers will be looking for what they need on a day-to-day basis. Might still lose buyers, but that's the only scenario I can think of where I'd do that. I'd rather a tub/shower combo, even one of those with the door to walk in for seniors and others who cannot climb over the side of a tub.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:01 PM

4,230 posts, read 4,653,310 times
Quote:
Indeed, my house has a tub in bathroom #2 but not the master.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:30 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I would never have a house with NO tub at all unless maybe it was a small 2b/2b retirement home in a 55+ area where the majority of buyers will be looking for what they need on a day-to-day basis. Might still lose buyers, but that's the only scenario I can think of where I'd do that. I'd rather a tub/shower combo, even one of those with the door to walk in for seniors and others who cannot climb over the side of a tub.
Yes a tub can be hard to get out of when you're older. My parents don't ha e little grandkids anymore but a house without a tub when they did it would have taken away a lot of options when we were over with them.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:32 PM
NCN

21,656 posts, read 25,491,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplim View Post
Dear all,

I am wondering if it would be too weird to see a master bathroom without a tub in this area.

I am doing a new construction, and one option is to make the master bathroom with a bigger shower area and no tub. This plan will also give us more flexibility for some additional structures.

We don't use tub at all, and in case we really need to use tub, there is one in the second bathroom. But when I consider the resale value, is it too weird to see so in the RTP area? (I know the trend in the area where I am living now is that the top level bathroom plan has no tub but a very fancy shower area)

Thanks!
Our master bathroom has never had a tub but it does have a low entrance and a seat built in for when we get older. I think there are whole homes now that have no tub. Tub's seem to be on the way out.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:33 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,512,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplim View Post
Dear all,

I am wondering if it would be too weird to see a master bathroom without a tub in this area.

I am doing a new construction, and one option is to make the master bathroom with a bigger shower area and no tub. This plan will also give us more flexibility for some additional structures.

We don't use tub at all, and in case we really need to use tub, there is one in the second bathroom. But when I consider the resale value, is it too weird to see so in the RTP area? (I know the trend in the area where I am living now is that the top level bathroom plan has no tub but a very fancy shower area)

Thanks!
It will hurt on resale. I put a Zuma air tub in my MB and it is fantastic. Rethink the no tub option.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:41 PM

19,359 posts, read 27,567,150 times
Quote:
I agree. Bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: