Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 03:14 PM

714 posts, read 713,513 times

Advertisements

My house was remodeled/flipped 4 years ago. I've seen similar houses with tiny showers and big soaking tubs in the master bath. The remodeler who did my current house opted to make a big shower and a good-size linen closet instead of a tiny shower and soaking tub. I prefer this -- more storage and a nice roomy walk-in shower. The upstairs hall bath has a conventional tub. With no basement and no garage, the extra storage is going to get far more use than a soaking tub would. Seriously -- how many people who have these big behemoth tubs actually use them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 03:23 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,055,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
My house was remodeled/flipped 4 years ago. I've seen similar houses with tiny showers and big soaking tubs in the master bath. The remodeler who did my current house opted to make a big shower and a good-size linen closet instead of a tiny shower and soaking tub. I prefer this -- more storage and a nice roomy walk-in shower. The upstairs hall bath has a conventional tub. With no basement and no garage, the extra storage is going to get far more use than a soaking tub would. Seriously -- how many people who have these big behemoth tubs actually use them?
Depends.

Is your house a 3B/2B, under 2k sq ft sorta deal? As long as there's a bathtub someplace, should be generally no biggie. You will lose some buyers, but you'll have plenty who are interested.

If it's a 2B/1B place with no bathtub, you might lose some buyers, but I would think it's still not an issue.

If you are in a 4k sq ft 5B/4.5 bath place and your master bathroom has no sign of a tub, it may stop more buyers, really.

Because a place that size should be planned out well enough to allow for storage space AND space for a tub.

Know what I mean?

Old 06-18-2016, 05:35 PM

714 posts, read 713,513 times
It's a 1900 square foot 3B/2.5B with a conventional tub in the hall bath.

I moved into it from a house with a full basement that had a 13 x 24 family room and a 13 x 24 laundry/utility/storage area...and a garage, so yeah, it's less storage than I had and a bit tight on storage even WITH all the cr@p I got rid of when I moved.

No one I know who has a big soaker tub actually uses it. Most wish they had a larger shower or more closet space. It's one of those things like tray ceilings that everyone thinks they want and then find they can live nicely without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Depends.

Is your house a 3B/2B, under 2k sq ft sorta deal? As long as there's a bathtub someplace, should be generally no biggie. You will lose some buyers, but you'll have plenty who are interested.

If it's a 2B/1B place with no bathtub, you might lose some buyers, but I would think it's still not an issue.

If you are in a 4k sq ft 5B/4.5 bath place and your master bathroom has no sign of a tub, it may stop more buyers, really.

Because a place that size should be planned out well enough to allow for storage space AND space for a tub.

Know what I mean?

Old 06-18-2016, 06:44 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,193,921 times
I don't really understand the huge shower thing? Isn't it colder in a big shower? I like to be engulfed in as much steam as possible.

Are people having parties in their showers? As they say on HGTV, "this looks great for entertaining!"

Old 06-18-2016, 07:16 PM

13,323 posts, read 26,772,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I don't really understand the huge shower thing? Isn't it colder in a big shower? I like to be engulfed in as much steam as possible.

Are people having parties in their showers? ...
I think a shower should be just big enough for two!

Old 06-18-2016, 08:48 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,130,683 times
Quote:

Are people having parties in their showers? As they say on HGTV, "this looks great for entertaining!"
Funny that you ask...

I have a garden tub (yes, I do use it) and a large shower. I have a large shower head and 4 smaller shower heads that spray out. No, my shower doesn't get cold.

However, we were recently out of town and stayed in a hotel that had a shower that was so large, it didn't even have doors! YES, it was VERY COLD!

For example...if you were having the hot water spray your hair, your back became very cold! I think this particular shower was just TOO BIG! And, without the doors to keep some of the heat in, I didn't enjoy my shower! Maybe if it had a shower head on each side and a rain shower head from the ceiling!

Old 06-19-2016, 09:37 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,055,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackwriter View Post
It's a 1900 square foot 3B/2.5B with a conventional tub in the hall bath.

I moved into it from a house with a full basement that had a 13 x 24 family room and a 13 x 24 laundry/utility/storage area...and a garage, so yeah, it's less storage than I had and a bit tight on storage even WITH all the cr@p I got rid of when I moved.

No one I know who has a big soaker tub actually uses it. Most wish they had a larger shower or more closet space. It's one of those things like tray ceilings that everyone thinks they want and then find they can live nicely without.
I think you'll do fine w/o a tub in the master.

We have a big tub. We also use it. Not every day, but we do.

We also have a tray ceiling. I like them. Anyone could live w/o one, but preferences are preferences.

I would not put a bathtub in the same class as a decorative trim.

Bathtub would be in the same class as wall ovens and range top vs freestanding range.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:56 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,561,209 times
I wouldn't buy a house without a tub in the master. Any house we saw without one I immediately ruled out. But that's just me.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:19 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,408,951 times
Quote:

Do you really need an explanation why people would want a large shower? lol

Old 06-22-2016, 08:36 AM

14 posts, read 11,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Do you really need an explanation why people would want a large shower? lol
Yeah, it's like you have to draw pics for some people. I don't know what our water bill would be like if we didn't shower the entire family all at once. It does get a little weird around the holidays when cousin Eddie joins us though, some awkward moments and sights that are hard to un-see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: