U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 09:33 PM

712 posts, read 758,306 times

Advertisements

Not sticking up for Lennar by any means but the designs are nice and they use good materials... It's the multiple subcontractors who do not install correctly and can't read a blueprint. Ever wonder why they spray paint in Spanish on the house wrap and plywood? It the construction manager way to tell the subs where to place which is scary since one poorly installed item can cause a lot of damage which is why you as the buyer need to stay on top of these guys.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:42 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,433,963 times
OP-If you find fault with Lennar, don't expect Beazer to offer a better product. they won't.
I realize that time has passed and that prices are rising. We are still talking about expensive homes here. $500K buys you a heck of a resale in established neighborhoods like Abbington. You may need to do some updating but the house itself was built by a local custom builder at a time where the houses were not just slapped together.
Yes, the custom homes will be more expensive. The difference in price is not arbitrary, although there may be a bit of intangible in there. Beazer has always been on the low end of the local tract builders. I have been walking thru homes under construction around here for well over 10 years and I never saw anything in any Beazer home that didn't look anything better than barely acceptable. Now land prices are thru the roof and they are building in a very different price range and in more upscale neighborhoods than in the past. They had better have upped their game considerably, and based on the widening chasm between tract and custom build quality I wouldn't bet on it.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
You can say that about most developments in which the big box does business....

Op-I don't like that location next to the roads...I think you could do better if your time horizon allows. My friends in Abbington have sold due to the increase in traffic that will come as a result of the homes and townhomes being built by Beezer. I own a Beezer home as a rental as well as most big box and just don't expect the craftsmanship and details and know that you should seal everything rather than caulk. I would not buy those Historic homes in Bella Casa or the new phase of classic homes which is by Lennar... Stay away.. I have no issue with a resale in Bella just no those historic homes.

What do you mean exactly by "historic homes" in Bella casa? I though all the homes in there were new construction.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,821 times
My husband and I decided to Build in Still Water with Custom builders, Gray Line. We are looking at a max price point of 925K but that includes a basement totaling 5500 Sq. Feet. All the times that we have been on Richardson road it doesn't seem busy at all. Maybe its only busy during beginning/end of school? Its a great location for schools the Middle and High school are right off Humie olive Road. I do like how convenient it is to shopping, but its not off of Green level church Road which is busy ALL of the time, like many other houses that are going up there. We chose to go custom Vs. Cal Atlantic(Standard Pacific) in Holly Springs to get the quality and the spaces we need otherwise we would have to settle on a floor plan. I also worry about having some issues with a national builder(though regardless of buying a home, you will always have issues down the road, its just a matter of how many) I really like Gray line Builders so far, very user friendly and willing t get you what you want, BUT for a price, so just be mindful on the things you REALLY want vs other things thatt are flexible and can splurge on the more important things. Point is, you get a custom floor plan and that was a must in investing in an expensive home. Plans are being drawn up now!

Old 01-22-2017, 09:21 PM

7,426 posts, read 5,406,702 times
I know - to each their own. But I don't understand how anyone could possibly use 5500sf of space unless they have 6+ kids.

Cleaning rooms that I never use would drive me crazy. Although I guess at that price point nobody's cleaning their own house.

New houses are enormous these days. I don't get it.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:32 PM

712 posts, read 758,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetdelia View Post
What do you mean exactly by "historic homes" in Bella casa? I though all the homes in there were new construction.
It's a collection of new homes check their site..nothing Historic about them..bunch of crap homes and surprised JVI let them do that in Bella Casa but such is life and the profit motive.

Why on earth would u spend that amount of cash for that area? I would rather buy the French house on 10 acres of land than Stillwater. That kind of cash there better be a waterview and not a former pasture where cows and horses ****ted their brains out.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 PM

18 posts, read 61,421 times
Does anyone have any experience building with Legacy Custom builders? They seem to be priced a little lower in Stillwater than Future/Jim Thompson and Grey Line but higher than Hayes Barton.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 927 times
Legacy gutted and redesigned a good friend's house and he couldn't say enough good things about them. Great communication, quick response to a problem, and he's been very happy there for a couple of years now.

I've worked with Gray Line and they're fantastic. I don't know if they have the same level of finish as Legacy or not, because the homes and homeowner choices were quite different. But I can say great things about both.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:57 AM

18 posts, read 61,421 times
Thanks! I'm a big fan of Gray Line also however their price points is about 100K higher. Hayes Barton is the other custom builder in Stillwater in addition to the other three - anyone have an opinion on them?

Old 03-08-2017, 12:36 PM

326 posts, read 312,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillicon_brain View Post
Looking at new home options with larger lot size. I heard lot size in stillwater is around 11,000 sq feet (1/4 acre)

Few questions around the builder and area

1. How is that subdivision as compare to Bella Casa?I saw Bella casa is almost full and all tract builders are constructing last few homes there.

2. Any feedback on Beazer homes? never heard of them but are they ok/bad?

3. Custom builders are also planing to build but later in the year and house price are 600K+, is it worth to spend 650K+ in that area for custom home (4000 sq feet-Future homes/Grey Line/Legacy)?
For 4000 square feet from any of those builders, you're looking at more like $700K+ for the most part. I think the area where Stillwater is located is very convenient. We would have considered there if their buildout was a little sooner (we were looking last summer). You've got the toll road right there to quickly get to RTP, you've got Beaver Creek for shopping, and Jordan Lake is just west of there.

I'd say spending money for a custom home in Stillwater is just as good as spending money for a custom home anywhere else in the area. The newer section in the back of Abbington (Stratford at Abbington) seems to be doing pretty well and they're all in the same price range, $600K+. Now, is it worth it to spend the extra money for a custom home over a Beazer home (whether in Stillwater or anywhere else)...that's for you to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary