Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 08:45 AM

544 posts, read 852,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanAndTomNC View Post
Thanks for the feedback, is this the first year you've tried the castor oil solution? I tried that before and found that it does work, it's just that it seems to have a very limited effect (slows traffic for about a month requiring repeated purchase and application) so would be interested in comparing notes with you there.

You can get the milky spore in gardening area of big box hardware stores. Its a little pricey but supposedly works for years as it impacts many generations of grubs and is easy to apply. Not sure how it affects earthworms the same way.

I'm just trying to determine if its the reason for our success so far, if so it's a miracle solution. But if the slowdown in mole activity is from some other cause, then maybe not.
I've used the castor oil solution that hooks up to the hose for a number of years. To be honest, I have not paid close attention to how well it works. Spraying it on the yard tends to be out of frustration when I see they are active. The real test will be in the fall when they tend to be more active. My goal is to push them back in to the natural area, but I have not been successful on a consistent basis. I will give the milky spores a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 10:14 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thr3stripe View Post
How does a thread about voles transform into complaining about folks "that feel it's their right to pick and choose which laws they prefer follow or disobey?" Seriously? Cats on leashes?

Back to the OP and their original question... I will say that my mole/vole activity seems to be down this year. That said, the activity in my yard usually doesn't seem to peak until later in the summer or early fall - so I'm holding out hope that things stay the way they've been so far.

Help! I have been finding soft spots in my back yard for a couple of weeks. Today I found small dirt piles in the grass and obvious tunnels under the ground in a bare spot on the lawn. Since the dirt displacement is so small, I think it is voles. I have never had them this active. How do you get rid of them?

Old 10-14-2016, 10:21 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Help! I have been finding soft spots in my back yard for a couple of weeks. Today I found small dirt piles in the grass and obvious tunnels under the ground in a bare spot on the lawn. Since the dirt displacement is so small, I think it is voles. I have never had them this active. How do you get rid of them?
Sounds more like moles to me.

How to Get Rid of Moles in Your Yard - 6 Working Ways

Old 10-14-2016, 02:14 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
I had great success with Sweeney's poison peanut pellets. I did have to make double sure my dogs were
not able to get to the tunnel to dig them up. The mole problem disappeared practically over night.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:53 PM

Thanks! I agree now that I have researched more and looked more outside I think it is moles too. They are going to town in my yard. There is a stray cat that keeps wandering in my yard, wish he would hunt these moles down for me!

Old 10-15-2016, 06:03 PM

545 posts, read 1,605,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I had great success with Sweeney's poison peanut pellets. I did have to make double sure my dogs were
not able to get to the tunnel to dig them up. The mole problem disappeared practically over night.
How do you keep pets from getting to the peanuts? I don't ahve pets, but there are neighborhood dogs that run loose, and I would hate to kill one.

I really need to re-do my whole lawn (it's down to moss and weeds!), but I have moles everywhere. I don't want to do any work before getting rid of the moles because they would just kill the new lawn. Traps are out (no way am I dealing w/ a mole dead or alive!!!). Sprays, gum in the tunnels, vibration things don't work from what I read, so the poison peanuts are it.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:47 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
How do you keep pets from getting to the peanuts? I don't ahve pets, but there are neighborhood dogs that run loose, and I would hate to kill one.
The pellets go into the tunnel 4 or 5 inches down in the ground. I used a round plant guard to protect the spot that I keep around that's made from welded wire. It's 3 ft. tall and about 4 ft. In diameter. I covered the spot with the guard and staked it down good. A tomato cage turned upside down would work...anything to keep pets from digging that spot in the tunnel.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:52 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Thanks! I agree now that I have researched more and looked more outside I think it is moles too. They are going to town in my yard. There is a stray cat that keeps wandering in my yard, wish he would hunt these moles down for me!

They are very active so you can catch them during he day if you watch where they're tunneling. I've made note of where new tunnels are and periodically check in on them. You can see the dirt move when they're busy. I have caught 3 this way and need to do this again since the heavy rain from Matthew has pushed them into m yard again.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
They are very active so you can catch them during he day if you watch where they're tunneling. I've made note of where new tunnels are and periodically check in on them. You can see the dirt move when they're busy. I have caught 3 this way and need to do this again since the heavy rain from Matthew has pushed them into m yard again.
What are you doing once you catch them?

Old 10-16-2016, 02:03 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal_m View Post
what are you doing once you catch them?
<peta edit>

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary