Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 08:48 AM

120 posts, read 236,361 times

Advertisements

Thanks all for the comments and updates. Extremely helpful. I'm going to check out Rising sun and Carolina custom pools. Others I'm reaching out to are Backyard Oasis and Aquatic Artist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 11:10 AM

466 posts, read 700,731 times
While we are updating the conversation, curious what you all do for the pool maintenance-wise in the off-season?

We have a pool in Florida where it's basically in season April to October. With the house we are building, we will not have a pool but I'm not closed to the idea down the road.

I suspect the season is much shorter in NC (I grew up in NC but haven't lived there since 2008), and I have concerns on what to do in the winter. Here it rarely gets below freezing, and when it does the pump automatically turns on. No need for blankets or extra work.

Also we have a screened in cage on the lanai which is typical in Florida but not really used in NC? We like it to keep the bugs out, etc.

Thanks for any insight.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:11 PM

425 posts, read 462,551 times
We don't really do anything for pool maintenance in the off-season. Toss the cover on it, and call it good. Everything continues to run as normal, until the water gets cold, and the salt cell stops generating chlorine, but at that point, it's really too cold for much in the way of algae.

The pool season here is whatever you make it. We go late March to end of October, but we turn the pool heat pump on in the spring. We do use the cover when we run the heat pump to save on costs. But if Pentair calls are right for this area, it costs around $250 to heat a pool from March to October with a cover and a heat pump to 85 degF.

Your pool controller here is no different than you pool controller in Florida. It will run the pump continuously at whatever ambient temp minimum it is set at. I think mine kicks on a 37 degF.

We do miss our cage and lanai from the Florida house. The lack of a cage does cause an increase in maintenance, just from leaves and yard debris. Not to mention the bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: