Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 11:23 AM

41 posts, read 73,343 times

Advertisements

I'll get in touch with the realtors. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 12:23 PM

22,651 posts, read 36,657,128 times
I'd add Riggsbee Farms and Carramore to your list of subdivisions. Both are Green Hope Elementary which is not capped.

Schools with an enrollment cap will not enroll anyone who moves into the base zone after the cap date. Mills Park has been capped for years (maybe since it opened) and that's not going to change anytime soon. Davis Drive is capped this year and may be capped for the next few years.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:15 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,739,138 times
Does it matter if the schools are capped if she only has a 3-year old? Would said child not get in for kindergarten even moving into a neighborhood 2 years before s/he would start school? I'm curious; I do not know the answer.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:13 PM

22,651 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Yes mich she probably would but best to check with the school - schools are not permanently capped so the "cap date"is a yearly thing.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:02 PM

22 posts, read 27,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'd add Riggsbee Farms and Carramore to your list of subdivisions. Both are Green Hope Elementary which is not capped.

Schools with an enrollment cap will not enroll anyone who moves into the base zone after the cap date. Mills Park has been capped for years (maybe since it opened) and that's not going to change anytime soon. Davis Drive is capped this year and may be capped for the next few years.
Both of those neighborhoods are above the OP's price range unfortunately. Riggsbee is low $500's and Carramore is high $500's.
I would look more towards Wellsley, Berkely, and down into MacArthur Park area to stay in their preferred price range.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:38 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,231,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Does it matter if the schools are capped if she only has a 3-year old? Would said child not get in for kindergarten even moving into a neighborhood 2 years before s/he would start school? I'm curious; I do not know the answer.
If the school is capped when you close on the house, and it's still capped when your kid starts school, you're denied.

I don't know what would happen if it was capped, then not capped, then capped again by the time your kid starts.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:30 PM

4,297 posts, read 5,964,772 times
If it gets uncapped at any point, everything resets and you're in.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:53 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,981,702 times
If her husband's job is near Lake Johnson Park, then wouldn't south Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay be better than North/West Cary? Also, more affordable and probably bigger lots.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:11 PM

369 posts, read 458,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
If her husband's job is near Lake Johnson Park, then wouldn't south Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay be better than North/West Cary? Also, more affordable and probably bigger lots.
South Cary also has more stable school assignments if that's a concern of yours.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:52 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,807,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedEastAndGladOfIt View Post
Good morning! I currently live in Asheville, NC. My husband will be working in Cary, NC, so we are relocating. I am looking to "short list" specific neighborhoods in Cary.

Here is a bit about me and my family:
1) Husband works in Cary, NC
2) I work from home (both are in late 30's, early 40's)
3) 3 year old daughter will attend a private preschool - needs to be GREAT.
4) Looking for Greatschools.org school ratings of 8-10 elementary, middle school, high school
5) Neighborhood amenities: park playground, pool a plus, neighborhood events, sidewalks a plus, young families with children.
6) Budget $450-$500K Min. 3 bed + 2 BA, 2400 sq ft. plus
7) Prefer houses not to be too close together

Also would love if: there was a park nearby, good library, good groceries and dining options.

Internet research recommended: Preston, Amberly, Park at West Lake (Apex)?

Thanks in advance!
Catherine
Park at West Lake ticks most of your boxes.
We are within Cary Limits with Cary services and taxes. Apex 27539 is our mailing address only.
Plenty of families that fit your demographic-late 30s/early 40s, young kids, telecommuters.
Great schools in walking distance. Low likelyhood of redistricting. Most kids walk to West Lake Elementary/Middle.
Primrose School within neighborhood boundaries. Many other great preschools within a short drive.
2 pools and a playground in the neighborhood.
Middle Creek Park across the street. Library currently under construction within walking/biking distance.
your budget will get you considerably more house than you would be able to afford in 27519.
My lot is .33 acres. Most are either side of .30 in the Woodlands section (where your budget would put you).
Homes in the Woodlands built 2005-2008 by local custom builders. Quality trumps any tract builder in your price range. Good pride in ownership/home maintenance. Low turnover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary