Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 11:42 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times

Advertisements

People of city-data, I need your assistance!

My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of moving from North Raleigh to the western portion of the Triangle. Chapel Hill, Hillsborough and surrounding Orange County areas are all on the table for consideration. I know housing prices can vary widely, and our budget is low and will be a major limiting factor, but where would you look for detached single family houses in that area if your budget was $250K and schools were important to you?

Age of home and size is not a real issue. Suburban and more rural options all up for consideration. Commuting to Chapel Hill and downtown Durham area for work would be likely, but I'm not overly concerned about commute times at this stage in the process. At this point just trying to identify the universe of possible neighborhoods in that price range to investigate further.

Neighborhoods with detached single family homes are the preference, but if somebody had suggestions for townhome communities that fit the bill I would love to hear those recommendations as well.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 01:10 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
In town, I suppose, vs. deepest darkest suburbia?

Old 06-21-2016, 02:26 PM

872 posts, read 1,015,950 times
Are you looking for your children to attend the Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system or Orange County instead? That's one consideration for housing costs annually due to the additional taxes that make properties in the former generally more expensive. Also, what other criteria do you need met? I'm assuming with children you'll need at least 2B/2BA. Do you want a garage, a big front and/or back yard, paved driveway or what? Need more information before making a recommendation.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Are you looking for your children to attend the Chapel Hill-Carrboro school system or Orange County instead? That's one consideration for housing costs annually due to the additional taxes that make properties in the former generally more expensive. Also, what other criteria do you need met? I'm assuming with children you'll need at least 2B/2BA. Do you want a garage, a big front and/or back yard, paved driveway or what? Need more information before making a recommendation.
I'm purposely trying to keep this simple at this point:

I'm not looking for a particular school system. Just looking for recommendations from people who may be familiar with the schools in that area and where they would look for housing if schools were a factor and their budget is $250K. Is Chapel Hill-Carrboro out all together based on that budget? I'm not sure, but If so where would you look in Orange County.

Similarly, I don't have specific housing criteria in terms of square footage / yard size / number of bathrooms / garage etc. We are flexible on all that and nailing down specifics like that at this stage would only serve to narrow down what I beleive are probably already a slim set of options in our price range.

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2016, 03:17 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
If you don't care move to Chatham county or south Durham

Old 06-21-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
If you don't care move to Chatham county or south Durham
If I don't care about what? My housing search is in Orange County and the incorporated areas of Chapel Hill or Hillsborough. I'm not looking to move to South Durham or Chatham County (though I'm sure they a just great places).

Old 06-21-2016, 04:26 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
1. In the area between NC54, 15/501, and I-40. Near Ephesus Church Rd.
Central to both towns, and some nice values.

2. Woodcroft, of course....

Old 06-21-2016, 05:02 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm purposely trying to keep this simple at this point:

I'm not looking for a particular school system. Just looking for recommendations from people who may be familiar with the schools in that area and where they would look for housing if schools were a factor and their budget is $250K. Is Chapel Hill-Carrboro out all together based on that budget? I'm not sure, but If so where would you look in Orange County.

Similarly, I don't have specific housing criteria in terms of square footage / yard size / number of bathrooms / garage etc. We are flexible on all that and nailing down specifics like that at this stage would only serve to narrow down what I beleive are probably already a slim set of options in our price range.

Thanks!
You can find a detached single family home in Chapel Hill-Carroboro City Schools in your budget. It will be under 2000 sq ft, will probably need a lot of updating, and will be off the market within days so you'd need to move quick; but it can be done. If you find one in "the rural buffer" you'll also save a decent amount on property taxes and still be in the coveted CHCCS district. The areas with "Chapel Hill" address that are north CHCCS boundary are considerably closer to the Orange County schools though.

Orange County schools are good. They aren't the "all star status" of CHCCS but they aren't by any stretch "bad".

The one thing to look out for regarding schools would potentially be distance.... if you were to buy a house in SW Orange County; Chapel Hill address but outside of the CHCCS boundaries (neighborhoods like The Trails fall into this category; awesome houses on wooded lots in your price range)...you're kids would be traveling pretty far to school. All of the Orange County Schools are clustered around Hillsborough and Efland.

Hillsborough is a cool little town. If you or your wife would be commuting to downtown Durham; Hillsborough is probably your best option for that.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:17 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,867 times
The townhomes in Waterstone are in that price point, while the single family start above that. New build, just south of downtown Hillsborough near the new UNC hospital, convenient to 40 and 85 for commuting to Durham, or take 86 to Chapel Hill.

Nearby, you can find single family homes in the established neighborhoods of Cornwallis Hills and Beckett's Ridge within your price range.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:55 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
If I don't care about what? My housing search is in Orange County and the incorporated areas of Chapel Hill or Hillsborough. I'm not looking to move to South Durham or Chatham County (though I'm sure they a just great places).
about schools*

there is no other reason to live in town unless you have some walkability goal

you said schools are a factor but you don't care about being outside CCHS (rural orange county)

I can't honestly say there would be a big difference in schools between south durham and far flung orange county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary