Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 10:25 AM

420 posts, read 452,037 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I have a couple of questions that will probably be best answered by triangle natives, long timers and of course realtors.

Looks like hubby will be joining me full time by years end (we have been doing the commuter thing since I/we moved down here). As a refresher, I rented in North Chapel Hill/bordering on Hillsborough and Durham, right off of 40 initially. Awesome location. Then bought a home and love the neighborhood we chose in Holly Springs. (We now border on Apex and Raleigh)Convenient to 540 and Cary and approx 8 miles to 40...again a great location.

We are almost certain we will make the triangle our forever place and if I think in those terms, I don't think of this house as being our forever home. It does not live "large" but it is more square footage than we need (2800) but it is two floors. We have become interested in gardening and would like to grow veggies but need more yard for that (have a quarter acre now). Less house (Preferably one level), more land (no more than acre) and although we qualify...not in a 55 and over community. We are a half introvert/half extrovert couple, like being near the conveniences...markets, banks ,CVS, Target. My question is where are there homes (ranches) that will increase in value over time if remodeled and modernized? I will give examples of older neighborhoods I like: HAllmark in Apex, Southbriar Creek in Raleigh? (Not sure if it's Raleigh,Cary or Apex).
Sedgefield in Chapel Hill. We would not want to pay more than 300,000 if it house needs work.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind, I am in the research phase. My house would probably sell quickly if priced right but unless the most perfect thing falls in my lap, I am not quite there.

Lastly, for those of you who have done extensions or made structural changes of your homes interiors, any recommendations for architect/contractors?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 10:37 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
Hello all.

I have a couple of questions that will probably be best answered by triangle natives, long timers and of course realtors.

Looks like hubby will be joining me full time by years end (we have been doing the commuter thing since I/we moved down here). As a refresher, I rented in North Chapel Hill/bordering on Hillsborough and Durham, right off of 40 initially. Awesome location. Then bought a home and love the neighborhood we chose in Holly Springs. (We now border on Apex and Raleigh)Convenient to 540 and Cary and approx 8 miles to 40...again a great location.

We are almost certain we will make the triangle our forever place and if I think in those terms, I don't think of this house as being our forever home. It does not live "large" but it is more square footage than we need (2800) but it is two floors. We have become interested in gardening and would like to grow veggies but need more yard for that (have a quarter acre now). Less house (Preferably one level), more land (no more than acre) and although we qualify...not in a 55 and over community. We are a half introvert/half extrovert couple, like being near the conveniences...markets, banks ,CVS, Target. My question is where are there homes (ranches) that will increase in value over time if remodeled and modernized? I will give examples of older neighborhoods I like: HAllmark in Apex, Southbriar Creek in Raleigh? (Not sure if it's Raleigh,Cary or Apex).
Sedgefield in Chapel Hill. We would not want to pay more than 300,000 if it house needs work.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind, I am in the research phase. My house would probably sell quickly if priced right but unless the most perfect thing falls in my lap, I am not quite there.

Lastly, for those of you who have done extensions or made structural changes of your homes interiors, any recommendations for architect/contractors?

Thanks in advance!
Honestly, if you can locate the property, thanks to NC State, there are tons of great, and hungry, architects around.
Some do the full design-build package, which increases the likelihood that the final product will be what you and the architect wanted.
You may find that the architect prefers to work in a specific area.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:23 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
any well-maintained and updated ranch is going to appreciate at the highest rate possible - the largest % of folks will buy a ranch (or at least a 1.5 story with the master on the main).

Do you want to live in Wake or Orange County? Are you looking for a certain distance to the airport? RTP?

If you want to build, that's an option too. And there are numerous qualified builders that can work through the design/build with you.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:39 PM

369 posts, read 460,177 times
Athens Drive / Kaplan Rd area in Raleigh sounds like it may fit the bill. Tons of ranch homes, mature trees and I've seen that many people have veggie gardens in that neck of the woods. It's also close to 440/40, Cary crossroads for shopping and a easy drive to downtown Raleigh.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:11 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
We love our ranch home in an older neighborhood in central Cary!!

Old 06-27-2016, 06:50 AM

420 posts, read 452,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
We love our ranch home in an older neighborhood in central Cary!!

Without telling me your address lamishra, can you tell me street names or subdivision names around your area? Cary has grown so HUGE and has seemingly grown arms as well...

Old 06-27-2016, 08:02 AM

65 posts, read 55,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
Without telling me your address lamishra, can you tell me street names or subdivision names around your area? Cary has grown so HUGE and has seemingly grown arms as well...
Usually "central Cary" includes everything around downtown inside the Maynard Rd loop. Look at a map (Google maps/mapquest/etc.) and you'll see that Maynard is a circle and downtown Cary is in the middle.

Sometimes central Cary could also refer to the older subdivisions just outside of Maynard that are older. Places along Walnut St towards Crossroads, Scottish Hills, Farmington Woods, etc.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:39 AM

767 posts, read 1,848,089 times
Great post...I want to do the same thing in about 5 years!

Old 06-27-2016, 10:43 AM

62 posts, read 131,369 times
Something like this? 3913 Cobb Street, Garner, NC | Fonville Morisey Real Estate
Close to the beltline and to downtown Raleigh.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:50 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Stoneybrook Estates.
Farmington Woods
Russell Hills
Iron Gate
Northwoods
Greenwood Forest
Kildaire Farm
Scottish Hills and Scottish Hills North
Pine Valley
Meadowmont
Tanglewood
Hillsdale Forest
Greenwood Acres
Pirates Cove
Wishing Well Village
Savon Heights
Carr Hills
Medfield Estates
Coronado Village
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary