Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 09:10 PM

79 posts, read 101,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hhlebiczki View Post
Thank you @Hhlebiczki. Didn't even know of such a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
How old are your kids. Mine loved Tweetsie Railroad just south of Boone until they were about 9 or 10. Then we ruined them by going to Disney World.

Mine is 8 years old. Another family with 2 kids ages 7 and 10 might be there too. No Disney this year.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
West Virginia is an awesome place to visit and a very easy day trip, I do it often.
Thank you, @builder24car!
I've seen very little of WV. But from the little I've seen, it seems like a beautiful state. I'll keep in mind all your suggestions.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernc42 View Post
Sounds by your name you want to be on top of a mountain. This is the place.
You are right. We love the mountains.
Thanks @Supernc42.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Thanks @MikeJaquish
Another name to add to the list. Now, which one to choose.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:44 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizmi View Post
Thank you @ Dire Wolf! My 8 year old is a "gem" and rock collector. If we find a bagful of "gems", we, the parents will have some peace
For those who have kids that are into rock hunting: If you're out in the Grandfather Mountain or Asheville area, consider swinging through Hendersonville on your way up or back. The Hendersonville Mineral Museum is a small, but charming museum that is great for kids. Plenty to see, but small enough that the kids (and adults!) don't get bored. And it's FREE.

The volunteers crack geode's onsite. Great fun.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 06-29-2016 at 01:56 AM..

Old 06-29-2016, 09:22 AM

79 posts, read 94,148 times
Look up Lake Junaluska on Google maps. It's out of the way, over in the NC mountains, and not terribly crowded until the Holston Methodist conference, but I have fond memories of running around the lake, fishing, swimming in the pool. No idea if you can still do any of those or not.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:28 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
For those who have kids that are into rock hunting: If you're out in the Grandfather Mountain or Asheville area, consider swinging through Hendersonville on your way up or back. The Hendersonville Mineral Museum is a small, but charming museum that is great for kids. Plenty to see, but small enough that the kids (and adults!) don't get bored. And it's FREE.

The volunteers crack geode's onsite. Great fun.
Also, in the general area of Grandfather mountain, if you don't mind a steep hike, there is a "crystal mine" half-way up the mountain. We used to go in college (late 80's) and find all sorts of quarts crystals...

Old 06-29-2016, 12:33 PM

183 posts, read 197,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
The Boone/Grandfather Mtn/Blowing Rock/Linville area has caves, water falls & gem mining. Great time to go too, the weather is great in the summer.
This is one of our long weekend favorites. Linville and Grandfather mountain are two of our favorite places to visit in NC. Linville falls and wiseman's view along with hikes up sitting bear, Hawks bill and table rock are all a fantastic way to enjoy a weekend away from the hustle and bustle.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:33 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
I'll second or third Grandfather Mountain/Boone/Blowing Rock. It's very pretty and the gem mining is fun. The town of Blowing Rock is nice to walk around, and there's a park/playground in the middle of town. And Tweetsie Railroad is a fun day, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary