Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 03:28 PM

91 posts, read 78,606 times

Advertisements

Hi ERH, I thank you for reminding the different cultures. Yes, we allow the child to enjoy life but we also want the child to know the important of education. Is it true that many people can make lot of money without education but that is not our way to raise our child. Why do I ask many questions only relating to education? As I mention before, we did not come from public school and I have learned a lot from you all. Now, my child will attend public magnet school and I want to know everything about it so I can help my child makes the right decisions. I hope that I will continuously get your support by responding to the post. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 03:43 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1970 View Post
Hi ERH, I thank you for reminding the different cultures. Yes, we allow the child to enjoy life but we also want the child to know the important of education. Is it true that many people can make lot of money without education but that is not our way to raise our child. Why do I ask many questions only relating to education? As I mention before, we did not come from public school and I have learned a lot from you all. Now, my child will attend public magnet school and I want to know everything about it so I can help my child makes the right decisions. I hope that I will continuously get your support by responding to the post. Thanks all.
Mind if I ask you what your background is? If you'd prefer not to answer, I totally understand.

I just have some personal experience with kids from backgrounds where they're pushed to excel and some do very well while others pretty much implode.

Cultures may vary, but so do kids. Know what I mean?

I do think it's a great idea to do the testing and get your child involved if this is his desire, though. No need to hold back a high achiever if he's interested in pushing forward.

That said, I think it would be great if all parents took such an active interest in their kids' educations, regardless of the way they displayed that interest. It would be for the betterment of all.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:29 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Roscomac -- I'm not discounting your recommendations to the OP in the least, but I do want to point out that the emphasis/priority on education with the Asian and Indian cultures is far above that of the American culture.
You make a good point. As a high school teacher who has taught students from Morrisville, Cary, and Apex, I understand it well. But the number of kids we are seeing with debilitating anxiety is alarming. And the things the students of high=pressure parents are resorting to in order to appease their parents are disturbing.

I would much prefer the focus to be on learning, understanding, and growing through failure and resilience rather than on grades and test scores. And I would like to see these students feel that they are loved for who they are instead of valued for their academic wins.

I know you weren't suggesting anything other than that, and I didn't take your comment that way. I just wanted to throw another angle out there for the original poster and any other readers to consider.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:47 AM

Hi Vandy-bound, this is the reason why I post my question on this website in order to learn from you all. So far, early this year, we submitted the application to Early college in Wake, Raleigh Charter High and did not get picked due to the lottery system. So, one of magnet high schools is our based school and that is where he will attend next year. My child is starting to discipline himself daily since he was in 4th grade. We always encourage him to inform us if there is any problem. I do believe that if all the children have strong foundation, he/she will not fall out in the future. He is taking few online courses where they do not ask for your age nor your grade. I do not know that I can register for my child to take SAT independently, without informing the counselor. No, I did not share with school nor anyone about my child test score, school report. The first meeting with high school counselor, I asked about SSA; and it was ignored to support. I really have no expectation from his future school to provide any programs to excel him academically. Regards.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Hi Vandy-bound, this is the reason why I post my question on this website in order to learn from you all. So far, early this year, we submitted the application to Early college in Wake, Raleigh Charter High and did not get picked due to the lottery system. So, one of magnet high schools is our based school and that is where he will attend next year. My child is starting to discipline himself daily since he was in 4th grade. We always encourage him to inform us if there is any problem. I do believe that if all the children have strong foundation, he/she will not fall out in the future. He is taking few online courses where they do not ask for your age nor your grade. I do not know that I can register for my child to take SAT independently, without informing the counselor. No, I did not share with school nor anyone about my child test score, school report. The first meeting with high school counselor, I asked about SSA; and it was ignored to support. I really have no expectation from his future school to provide any programs to excel him academically. Regards.
To put this in perspective for you...

Most parents around here consider magnet options as the ones that will help their kids excel. If we are strictly talking free, public schools, magnets (especially high school magnets) are highly regarded.

Have you considered private school? Something like Cary Academy, perhaps? I mean, it isn't inexpensive, but you could probably get them behind any level of education you'd like as long as your child is capable of achieving it.

I am not kidding when I say I've known kids who burned out pretty hard. One kid that comes to mind graduated high school with high honors, got more than one scholarship (full and partial rides to prestigious schools) and failed out as a freshman because that wasn't really what that kid wanted out of life.

Obviously, this might not happen with your child, but it's worth considering if your child in any way feels that he must perform constantly at a high level and it's not HIS idea to do so.

Maybe it is his idea and he's loving it all. If so, then perhaps you should look into private schools if you feel public won't give him what he's wanting.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:56 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:
Is Enloe the magnet school you're talking about? If so, they should be able to match his needs academically. Also, quite a few students from Enloe wind up going to the NC School of Science & Math their junior and senior years.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:07 PM

Hi TinkaMcKirk, NC School of Science & Math is our next plan. Thanks.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkaMcKirk View Post
Is Enloe the magnet school you're talking about? If so, they should be able to match his needs academically. Also, quite a few students from Enloe wind up going to the NC School of Science & Math their junior and senior years.
I have a few friends who did that even way back when I was in HS at Enloe in the late 80s.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:00 AM

265 posts, read 487,861 times
Quote:
I can understand your frustration and asking for advice. I really do suggest considering the Davidson Young Scholars program. If your child qualifies, it is of immense benefit and they can offer suggestions on how to navigate the school system once your child is a part of their program. Networking through local groups will give your family an opportunity to hear how others in your area are accommodating their academic needs. It is possible that even the magnet schools will not be advanced enough after the first few years.

The SAT and the ACT can be registered for (and taken) without going through the school system or a talent identification program, however, the PSAT may be different. Honestly, if your child has already taken the ACT, I wouldn't bother having them take the PSAT early--just see if they want to take the SAT instead as a practice. The PSAT is not as difficult as either the SAT or ACT--think of it as a more basic test designed to predict how a student would perform on the SAT.

Best of luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary