Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 01:42 PM

650 posts, read 929,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
The wonderful DTAs also became chargeable this month. Ordered another Roku this AM.

Frank
I saw the Roku at Wally world the other day. I am confused because there was a Roku 1, 2 and 4. What to buy today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 07:04 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
But can I get Fox News, CNN, CNBC and HGTV on any of those things?
Ahh, so here it gets complicated!

Dish's Sling TV product is what I've used for a year or so, basically since it came out. I have the $20 original plan which allows one TV or device to stream at a given time. It is the package that includes ESPN/ESPN2 (and for $5 more gets all the other ESPNs if I wanted them) and Disney Channel. It also has CNN and HGTV, but no Fox News and no CNBC.

Sling struck deals with Fox and NBC for their content, and which allows you to stream to three devices simultaneously, but they haven't been able to get an agreement with ESPN to go beyond single stream.

So -- as of last week there are two Sling packages to choose from:

1) Sling Blue. $25 per month, up to three streams at a time. Includes HGTV and CNN, and CNBC plus MSNBC, BBC World News, HLN and more are available for $5/month extra. (So $30.) Yet while you get FX, FXX, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sport 2, and the regional Fox sports networks, along with Fox itself... you don't get Fox News.

2) If you need ESPN, you have to get Sling Orange, which has the ESPN nets but no Fox or NBC channels, and limited to single stream at once. $20/month.

Or you can get both for $40/month. (They all run in the same app; I assume ESPN is limited to single stream.)

I really like Sling and have used it to cord-cut at home. With three-stream, I will cord-cut at our vacation home, IF I can teach my 79 y/o Dad how to use it.

If you have someone for whom Fox News is make-or-break, it may not be an option. But I love the freedom of it vs. cable.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:33 AM

26 posts, read 25,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
The wonderful DTAs also became chargeable this month. Ordered another Roku this AM.
Frank
Noticed the same thing on my bill too. $3.75; not much -- but definitely irritating. They give it to you; but then hey, here's a hidden charge now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Ahh, so here it gets complicated!
Dish's Sling TV product is what I've used for a year or so, basically since it came out. I have the $20 original plan which allows one TV or device to stream at a given time.
I've been looking into Sling for a while and noticed the lack of two steams was one of their major problems. It looks like this has been partially addressed with the variation of packages they have. I have just ordered a USB TV tuner for my XOne and flat antenna. I'll be interested in how well it does....

After showing my wife the difference(s) in our TWC bill; looks like she's on board to at least try Cord Cutting. I just can't fathom paying $150 a month on this. The value isn't there. So, I may try the free trials very soon; just to get an idea. We only watch like 3-4 channels.

Bull City, I just pulled up Earthlink to just be informed, as if I go through with this, will likely still keep TWC Internet temporarily. But if you look at: https://www.earthlink.net/about/policies/cable.faces, point 5. It appears there's a data cap of 250gb?

Anyone have experience with this? Also, for those switching -- is it really necessary for installation and someone to come in, etc? Or is switching plug-and-play from TWC to Earthlink.

I may look into U-Verse that we have in our subdivision too; but if we can lower Internet costs as well - it'd be nice.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:02 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FixedCroissant View Post
Noticed the same thing on my bill too. $3.75; not much -- but definitely irritating. They give it to you; but then hey, here's a hidden charge now.

I've been looking into Sling for a while and noticed the lack of two steams was one of their major problems. It looks like this has been partially addressed with the variation of packages they have. I have just ordered a USB TV tuner for my XOne and flat antenna. I'll be interested in how well it does....

After showing my wife the difference(s) in our TWC bill; looks like she's on board to at least try Cord Cutting. I just can't fathom paying $150 a month on this. The value isn't there. So, I may try the free trials very soon; just to get an idea. We only watch like 3-4 channels.

Bull City, I just pulled up Earthlink to just be informed, as if I go through with this, will likely still keep TWC Internet temporarily. But if you look at: https://www.earthlink.net/about/policies/cable.faces, point 5. It appears there's a data cap of 250gb?

Anyone have experience with this? Also, for those switching -- is it really necessary for installation and someone to come in, etc? Or is switching plug-and-play from TWC to Earthlink.

I may look into U-Verse that we have in our subdivision too; but if we can lower Internet costs as well - it'd be nice.
The 250 GB cap only applies for Earthlink users on Comcast's network, not Time Warner Cable's, so you should be fine there.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:49 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
EarthLink will switch you over while on the phone. Your bills still come from TWC. I still am not sure how they can do this, charge less than TWC but everything is through them. Crazy.

If you prepay for 3 months of Sling you get a Roku 2 for free. Essentially makes the Roku free as they are around $60. I would like to try the Roku stick (new one) when it comes out as I like the uncluttered look of just a TV, nothing attached. I've signed up now under two emails and have gotten two Rokus for free, one for each of our TVs.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:46 PM

679 posts, read 810,100 times
Quote:
But can I get Fox News, CNN, CNBC and HGTV on any of those things?
You can get all of these on Playstation Vue for $29.99/mo. These are all available in the smallest package (Access Slim).

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/#4

I prefer PS Vue over Sling because PS Vue has a DVR feature whereas Sling does not.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:49 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Motorola SB6121

Motorola Surfboard SB6121 DOCSIS 3 0 Cable Modem Time Warner Charter Cox 612572180136 | eBay

$33 on eBay, used, which is where I got mine.

If I were to do it gain, I would buy a combo WiFi router + cable modem just to cut down on clutter. My router is about 4 years old it's an ASUS RT-N56U, any newer router will be fine.

However chances are it's your modem that is the bottle neck.
Thank you so much for this information. I received the used SB6121 modem yesterday and hooked it up. Through the router I'm getting as high as 38 down 6-7 up so far. The modem is at 50/5. I'm happy with the constant 15-20 up and 5 down no matter where I'm at in the house. Those speeds are fast enough for me and are 4-8x's faster than I was getting on my old modem. Thanks again, Wheelsup .

Old 07-10-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Thank you so much for this information. I received the used SB6121 modem yesterday and hooked it up. Through the router I'm getting as high as 38 down 6-7 up so far. The modem is at 50/5. I'm happy with the constant 15-20 up and 5 down no matter where I'm at in the house. Those speeds are fast enough for me and are 4-8x's faster than I was getting on my old modem. Thanks again, Wheelsup .
You're welcome glad it's working out for you!!

Old 07-11-2016, 04:27 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Current Earthlink is $34.95 for one year no taxes or junk fees added then $41.95. Also no annoying price creep like TWC has. Also I'm getting 50/5 service, apples to apples, why not pay less ($120 savings for a year) while getting 3x the speed? It was worth the 30 mins of hassle switching over to me.
JUST got off the phone with them. The pricing they gave me was $29.95/mo for 6 months, then $41.95. The quoted speed was "15 to 50 mbs, depending on your area."

While the savings isn't so much over my $44 and change/mo bill from TWC, I still would have switched, hoping to get faster speed. However, frankly, the guy's accent was so difficult that I just lost patience and gave up. . .

I'll try again in a day or two. Or after I have a few glasses of wine.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
JUST got off the phone with them. The pricing they gave me was $29.95/mo for 6 months, then $41.95. The quoted speed was "15 to 50 mbs, depending on your area."

While the savings isn't so much over my $44 and change/mo bill from TWC, I still would have switched, hoping to get faster speed. However, frankly, the guy's accent was so difficult that I just lost patience and gave up. . .

I'll try again in a day or two. Or after I have a few glasses of wine.
Ok that was their initial pricing plan for me as well, I thought they had changed it to $34.95/12 months as that is what they gave me when I threatened to quit and go to TWC and their special new customer plan.

I totally agree with the CS rep and their accents. They used to be TWC people and were US based. Not sure if TWC moved their CS reps out of country or if now it connects directly to an E-L CS rep who is out of country. But this is how I look at things.

$29.95 * 6 + $41.95 * 6 = $431.4

vs.

$44.xx * 12 = $503+

Savings: $71 for the first year. Then call and get my special which is $34.95/12 months. Savings: $109/yr.

Total savings over two years = $180. Just for two, excruciating painful, short phone calls. Pre-tax that is ~$300 in total income (Federal + FICA)

In January we dumped Dish Network. It was painful to deal with the switching of the Rokus and antenna trial and errors. I get it. BUT

$64.xx/month Dish bill vs $32 SlingTV and Netflix account = $384 in yearly savings. $640 in gross wages saved (yearly), two years is $1280. Well worth the extra hassle of trying some antennas, and hooking up the Roku and learning it. Rokus were free with SlingTV service, out of pocket costs were $34 on two flat GE antennas.

I just recently switched from Net10 Wireless to Total Wireless. Same service (Verizon MVNO) and similar data allowances (8gb shared vs 5 gb each). Savings: $312 annually or $520 in gross income. Two years payoff is $1040. Yes, it was a headache as I spent about half a day porting numbers over and getting one phone to work correctly but man let's add it up.

E/L vs TWC 2 year savings $300
Dumping cable 2 year savings: $1280
Switching cell provider 2 savings: $1040
-------------------------------------------
$2,620 in gross income that doesn't need to be earned to pay for services anymore! Pretty crazy. For me it's a like a game, to see how much I can cut. I understand the hassle but if you take a long term viewpoint the savings really start to pile up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary