Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 02:41 PM

18 posts, read 26,120 times

Advertisements

My family and I have found a rental home in Castalia. We intend on relocating to Raleigh, but will move here 1st while getting established. Are Nash County Schools decent? Do a lot of people commute to Raleigh? I know nothing about Castalia or the surrounding area. My husband and I are 33, our girls are in 5th and 8th grade, he is a general contractor (remodeling/handyman), and I will be applying for office work positions. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 03:17 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,059,633 times
Nope. People don't do a ton of commuting between Raleigh and Castalia and Nash Co Schools aren't what I'd call highly regarded.

If you're planning to live and work in Raleigh, why Castalia? It's VERY rural. Very.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:33 PM

I put an ad on CL looking for a rental near Raleigh, or anywhere in Wake County, and got a response from someone in Castalia. For a year or so, just to get established, it seems ok... but it really is just a shoot in the dark for us. We are coming from MN, so mostly looking to get in a place to get settled. My husband owns his own business, and the girls and I are moving at the end of August while he stays behind to button up and get everything taken care of in that regard. My sister lives in Apex, and I want to be close, but not next door. But I would want a decent job, and I'm not sure many would exist in such a small area. I grew up in a rural area, but we don't live rural now and I don't want to do it long term.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:30 PM

22,615 posts, read 36,507,081 times
I think you are very confused about the geography here. If you are planning to live and work in Wake County that's where you should be looking for housing. Maybe Johnston County as well. Living in Nash County makes no sense and the age your girls are at they are going to be VERY unhappy with a second move.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:59 PM

I know it's about an hour north of Raleigh, close to Rocky Mount. It would mean a second move, but when you want to start with a rental and are trying to find something from so far away, it's hard.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:49 PM

22,615 posts, read 36,507,081 times
Seems weird that your sister is in Apex and can't steer you towards a decent rental so you don't have to deal with Craigslist.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:58 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,503,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apennieformythoughts View Post
I know it's about an hour north of Raleigh, close to Rocky Mount. It would mean a second move, but when you want to start with a rental and are trying to find something from so far away, it's hard.
It's not quite an hour away from Raleigh. I'd say more like 45 mins. Depending on how far you are from Hwy 64. It's actually not the worst commute I've heard of. Basically all highway to get to Raleigh. No where near the mess you'd have to deal with coming in on US1 or I40. To be honest it's probably the best area to look at. At least for someone not afraid of a long commute. Depending on your job location of course. If you'll be working Downtown or somewhere in east Raleigh it's fine. Anywhere near RTP,forget everything I just said.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:17 PM
ERH

1,695 posts, read 2,506,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
It's not quite an hour away from Raleigh. I'd say more like 45 mins. Depending on how far you are from Hwy 64. It's actually not the worst commute I've heard of. Basically all highway to get to Raleigh. No where near the mess you'd have to deal with coming in on US1 or I40. To be honest it's probably the best area to look at. At least for someone not afraid of a long commute. Depending on your job location of course. If you'll be working Downtown or somewhere in east Raleigh it's fine. Anywhere near RTP,forget everything I just said.
I know people who work for Duke U and commute from VIRGINIA daily. I guess it's all relative. For me, Castalia would be a bit far, especially since there are definitely rental homes to be had in this area. Why cause yourself all that headache?

Old 07-04-2016, 06:32 PM

My sister owns her house and other than being able to give me a paper and names of realty companies, what else is she supposed to do? Being close to her isn't why we are relocating. We love each other and get along, but she's 8 years older than me... she isn't going to do my dirty work. I wish she would, haha! It is the first place we've really looked at. He contacted us, it suits our needs, it gets us out there, it's less than what we are willing to pay in rent, which is a plus. BUT I agree with all of the cons. Other than a commute wouldn't bother me short term. I lived 18 years in a town you had to drive 40 miles to even get to Walmart. Wake County school District is a mighty big draw though.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:16 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,630,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think you are very confused about the geography here. If you are planning to live and work in Wake County that's where you should be looking for housing. Maybe Johnston County as well. Living in Nash County makes no sense and the age your girls are at they are going to be VERY unhappy with a second move.
I really agree with this. Your girls are at a tough age to leave one school and then move schools perhaps twice in a short time. They are also at the grade levels that they need a particularly good educational experience and be able to settle in.

Call some realty companies in Wake County to get help with an appropriate rental. It may be more expensive to rent closer to Raleigh but you will probably save on the time and money involved in commuting a farther distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary