Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 08:05 PM

406 posts, read 787,893 times

Advertisements

One of the several issues that someone moving has is changing banks.
What Bank/ Credit union has the most ATMs in Raleigh also best customer service low fees.... Recomondations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 08:12 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
We love the State Employees Credit Union (SECU). They have Cash Points ATMS all over and don't charge any user for using their ATM's. Their online banking is excellent and their fees and interest rates are usually reasonable and competitive. Their customer service has always been very good (and I've used 4-5 branches regularly).

On the other hand, we also have an account with Coastal Federal Credit Union and I am not very impressed with them as a whole. Very few convenient ATMs (in fact, I don't think I've seen or used one outside of the bank itself), not so helpful customer serivice and totally horrible online banking system compared to SECU (no bill pay system, can't click on and see your cashed checks, etc). It's very primitive. They basically show deposits and withdrawls. Everytime I have to go there I cringe! If anything can go wrong, it usually does. If I have an issue at SECU, I can usually walk into the bank and have it taken care of on the spot. At Coastal, if I have to walk in there, I expect it to take at least a week to resolve.

The only other bank I have ever used was Wachovia and I liked it at the time (several years ago). Very good customer service and they had lots of "programs". I can't speak to their online banking since it's been a while since I've used them, but I have seen their ATM's around (although I won't use them because they charge).

Old 02-17-2008, 11:12 PM

4 posts, read 15,568 times
I would recommend Wachovia to you they are a national bank and have many branches in Raleigh-the best customer service rating for six years and it really shows when you visit the branches they also offer ATM deposits which means if you miss the 2 o'clock cutoff you can still do whatever you need at the ATM until 4oclock and still be on the same banking day, lots of perks with them like rewards points, online banking free checking with no minimum balance etc etc Also the ATMs dont charge unless you use another banks card in them but you can use your wachovia card in a wachovia ATM and a SECU atm without surcharges

Old 02-18-2008, 07:55 AM

406 posts, read 787,893 times
Thumbs up Banks

"On the other hand, we also have an account with Coastal Federal Credit Union and I am not very impressed with them as a whole. Very few convenient ATMs (in fact, I don't think I've seen or used one outside of the bank itself), not so helpful customer serivice and totally horrible online banking system compared to SECU (no bill pay system, can't click on and see your cashed checks, etc). It's very primitive. They basically show deposits and withdrawls. Everytime I have to go there I cringe! If anything can go wrong, it usually does."

This has been themy experience lately with my current bank.
I guess another positive point about moving is it that one is forced to redo a lot of the things that have been on the list for a long time. I guess it's all part of a new start.

Do you have to be a n employee of the state to join SECU.

Thank You!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:02 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Here are the eligibility rules for SECU:
State Employees' Credit Union

I highly recommend Wachovia. They have lots of ATMs, I've never paid a fee and the customer service is excellent. We've been with them for six years and have no regrets. It's also nice because they have a decent presence on the East Coast.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:31 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,129,732 times
I have Wachovia, and I never seem to have an issue finding an ATM.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:34 AM

105 posts, read 391,375 times
Another vote for Wachovia. They have a lot of branches and give good service.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Get direct deposit and free banking at Bank of America.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 15,568 times
Default open online to save time

Another perk with Wachovia- you can open your account online at Wachovia.com and then go to the bank when you have time to make your first deposit real time saver-that way you dont have to sit in the lobby and wait. there also is a description of all the different accounts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary