Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 07:33 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Some believe that stupid design can be masked via excuses. A stupid design with lots of excuses supporting it's existence makes it that much more stupid. "Sob sob the railroad's too expensive to change, yada yada".

Cry me a river. Bottom line is it's cheaper and easier to blame all the drivers for the stupidity, and in certain parts of the country the citizens are gullible enough to buy it. Figure it out and get back to me.
Oh, I get it now. You must one of the people that can't pay attention to the world around them enough to see the signs leading up to it! Sorry I'm sure it sucks, but situational awareness is always needed when driving any vehicle, much less one you aren't familiar with.

But yes, 100 years ago design standards were not what they are now. Even discounting the cost, changing the sewer line will,require lots of rework of other areas and street closures because sewer like slope and are connected to other lines and buildings. It could be a couple miles downstream being dug up to fix it. Railroads also have slope factors to account for and since there are multiple crossings downtown in Durham they would all have to be regraded for a good distance from there, closing roads, etc. then there are the bridges preceding this spot which would have to all be raised to meet the new track elevation.

Now, will agree that they should put a set of hanging chains down ahead of it as the trucks that need to turn just ahead of it could go through slowly but I'm sure some people would ignore that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 07:37 AM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Oh, I get it now. You must one of the people that can't pay attention to the world around them enough to see the signs leading up to it! Sorry I'm sure it sucks, but situational awareness is always needed when driving any vehicle, much less one you aren't familiar with.

But yes, 100 years ago design standards were not what they are now. Even discounting the cost, changing the sewer line will,require lots of rework of other areas and street closures because sewer like slope and are connected to other lines and buildings. It could be a couple miles downstream being dug up to fix it. Railroads also have slope factors to account for and since there are multiple crossings downtown in Durham they would all have to be regraded for a good distance from there, closing roads, etc. then there are the bridges preceding this spot which would have to all be raised to meet the new track elevation.

Now, will agree that they should put a set of hanging chains down ahead of it as the trucks that need to turn just ahead of it could go through slowly but I'm sure some people would ignore that as well.
+1. You drive a truck you better be watching where you are going.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:58 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
"Read the road ahead" This is basic Driver Ed stuff. Don't they teach that anymore?

Old 07-09-2016, 09:33 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
good driver - bad driver or what ..... there are way too many occurrences of trucks,RV's, etc getting torn up at that location. Perhaps a No Trucks Allowed ordinance should be enforced on that road if the DOT is choosing to only band-aid the issue. I'm sure there were many many bridges built across the country during that period that addressed the issue. What did they do ?

Old 07-09-2016, 10:01 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Well, there is one on Peace street in Raleigh that tears trucks up almost as much.

I guess this is why so many people want autonomous cars. Because they are menaces to society that don't want to pay attention or take responsibility for their actions.

And I'm fairly certain that road does have local trucks only signage. Oh and also a half dozen signs warning of the bridge height starting like a mile away.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:48 AM

173 posts, read 312,849 times
Frankly, the bottom line is that as long as it's only causing property damage to vehicles, nothing will be done.

Now, you can bet that if someone ever damages the bridge in some way and costs the railroad money, they will do something about it.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:57 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3589 View Post
Frankly, the bottom line is that as long as it's only causing property damage to vehicles, nothing will be done.

Now, you can bet that if someone ever damages the bridge in some way and costs the railroad money, they will do something about it.
I always wonder how it would feel to have a houseful of irreplaceable personal family heirlooms riding in that Allied truck?

Honestly, they probably need a "NO TRUCKS" sign and routing, as many as have hit it.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:13 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,983,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3589 View Post

The bridge has been damaged before. The solution was to put up the steel beam that's there now so the trucks hit that instead of the actual bridge.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:48 PM

725 posts, read 1,499,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
That "warning system" is akin to putting something on page 65 of a software manual that says "warning, do not press shift-ctrl-X five times rapidly in a row, this unconditionally deletes all of your data". The design flaw there is assuming people are going to read the manual.

In this day and age it is a foolish assumption to imagine a driver isn't on their phone while driving, much less assuming they are going to read all signs. Now take into consideration the fact that a lot of these trucks will be moving trucks driven by people from out of town/out of state, who are frantically trying to juggle many things at once.

The stupidity here is in the bridge design.
Sometimes you have to pay attention in life.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:08 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,768,827 times
I think when nearby office workers can sit and look out the window knowing that someone-someday soon will destroy thousands of dollars of equipment because of a antiquated road design is borderline criminal on the part of DOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary