Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 04:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times

Advertisements

I would think you could rig a bridge with hanging chain or such that loudly whacks the truck 100 feet in front of the bridge. We have that on a low clearance parking garage at the airport. It would be easy to do the way this low clearance comes up but the hanging barrier bangs you loudly before you can get to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 05:26 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
I would think you could rig a bridge with hanging chain or such that loudly whacks the truck 100 feet in front of the bridge. We have that on a low clearance parking garage at the airport. It would be easy to do the way this low clearance comes up but the hanging barrier bangs you loudly before you can get to it.
That should help a lot.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:47 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Theoretically the red light that tells you to stop and the sign that tells you that you are overheight and you have to turn should help too, but if you're going to run a red light chances are you're going to run right through those chains, too.

I think the only thing that would really help some people would be guardrails that come down like at railroad crossings and they still might go around them.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:57 PM

Guard rails coming down would be a problem for cars coming from the other direction. If you hit a chain you will likely be coming to a stop to find out what the heck you just hit.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:57 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Theoretically the red light that tells you to stop and the sign that tells you that you are overheight and you have to turn should help too, but if you're going to run a red light chances are you're going to run right through those chains, too.

I think the only thing that would really help some people would be guardrails that come down like at railroad crossings and they still might go around them.
Add tuned pipes to the chains and you can orchestrate the crash.

But seriously if you set the thing up right you actually damage the vehicle if it simply plows through. If they then hit the bridge I would think you got good case to fire the driver. Any RV owner I know will back way down and feel through the chains. They do not want their vehicle damages if they can help it. And you can even make the chain bridge look scarier than it really is. Ugly big things with no real weight among the chains.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:58 PM

It's a one way street, there better not be cars coming from the other direction!

The trucks don't usu hit the bridge, they hit the steel beam, that's what tears the tops off and saves the bridge.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:01 PM

FAQ - 11 FOOT 8

Quote:
Could they install a low-clearance bar?
A low clearance bar is a bar suspended by chains ahead of the bridge. Overheight vehicles hit that bar first and the noise alerts the driver to to the problem. I understand that this approach has been successful in other places, but it’s not practical here. There are many overheight trucks that have to be able to drive right up to the bridge and turn onto Peabody St. in order to deliver supplies to several restaurants. Making Peabody St inaccessible from Gregson St would make the restaurant owners and the delivery drivers very unhappy.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Add tuned pipes to the chains and you can orchestrate the crash.

But seriously if you set the thing up right you actually damage the vehicle if it simply plows through. If they then hit the bridge I would think you got good case to fire the driver. Any RV owner I know will back way down and feel through the chains. They do not want their vehicle damages if they can help it. And you can even make the chain bridge look scarier than it really is. Ugly big things with no real weight among the chains.
Exactly

Old 11-04-2017, 06:21 PM

598 posts, read 333,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I know this sounds stupid, but I wonder if some drivers see that "OVERHEIGHT MUST TURN" sign and it just doesn't register that the sign is talking directly to them. Like they don't know that it's really saying "You. YES, YOU. Your vehicle will not fit under this bridge." And instead they read it as "If your vehicle is overheight, you must turn" and assume it doesn't pertain to them.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:17 PM

368 posts, read 295,435 times
Quote:
Been there, done that. Didn't work. At least the signal seems to stop most of the crashes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary